my first ever George III

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I found another great coin,it's toasted and badly worn,but I'm just happy to have found such a historic piece.My neighbor gave me permission to hunt his land,which houses a 1780 farm house and old barns.This will go great with my 1794 reale.Unfortunately,the back is either so crusted or worn and I can't date it exactly.I can just make out the George and the III rex....... NEW INFO...doing some research on the George III coin i found yesterday,it's a British colonial coin minted between 1770 and 1775.the earliest ones read Georgius III Rex,after 1775 the script changed to Georgius III D Rex. mine dates between 1770 to 1775..thats awsome

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Upvote 1
well done on your British coin you cant beat finding them

you probably wont get a older copper then georges from your country. if theres one and theres gonna be more :)

It is actually George, not Charles. Nice find! Try soaking it in hydrogen peroxide for a while.

i was told peroxide would damage it,i use that on my other copper coins,but with the age on this one i'm afraid.I was also told about olive oil.

I usually try rubbing it down with mineral oil. I didn't like how hydrogen peroxide made my coins look...they ended up kind of dry and porous looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back