Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife bought me a bounty hunter as I am new so I didn't want to fork out tons of cash yet. Well my first find was in my back yard and it was some Tin foil about 10 inches down. Well I hope to find something more. @ still learning

Look at it this way, there's very little difference between an old indian head penny and a tightly balled up foil. You heard it, pinpointed and recovered.

Try looking for small, coin size hits for a bit. See if that helps.

HH!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep on diggin, it just gets better. too many people buy a machine and put it away in the closet after a few times because they didn't find a treasure chest. I've been at it for about 38 years and haven't found enough to pay for all the batteries I've used but it's the fun and fresh air that keeps me at it

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HANG IN THERE ---YOU WILL GET THE HANG OF IT---:occasion14:

echodog

Oct 29, 2012
Keep with it. We all start there, and that right there is why a good find feels so good. My first was a pull tab, still have it and sits in a display case with the best stuff I have!

leaker

Nov 8, 2012
Jefferson city mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like your just starting to get into the swing of things if you ask me. Don't drink and drive you might spill your drink

jason1565

Dec 26, 2012
ocala florida
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick draw 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As many who post. I got mime first MD for Christmas and here is my first find. I have a bounty hunter quick draw 2

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130102_202127.png
    ForumRunner_20130102_202127.png
    226 KB · Views: 113

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. Just get out there and dig the good stuff is out there calling you. You will do fine.

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just keep it up, and you'll find the good stuff!

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look at it this way, there's very little difference between an old indian head penny and a tightly balled up foil. You heard it, pinpointed and recovered.

Try looking for small, coin size hits for a bit. See if that helps.

HH!

...except that the Bounty Hunter doesn't do that. It's a beep-n-dig machine. Not like these AT Pros WE have, lol...

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi I started with a bounty hunter also, at times I get frustrated with my ace350 and will go back to the bounty hunter to ensure a few find and build my confidence back up. I would suggest starting in playgrounds and tot lots, you are pretty much guarenteed to find coins scattered about and the occasional piece of jewelry. If one play lot does not turn up much move on,its been picked over. I have been to a few school playgrounds that must get hit almost daily by someone nearby,once I realize this I will stay away from there and go other places. Parks are good, the volleyball courts, sand box,swings etc... If you make half dozen finds you will be hooked, fishing used to be my hobby, now its dirt fishing(metal detecting) and many a days I wonder what the hell did I get myself into .lol Then the smile breaks out on my face and i realize the joy of finding even a penny, small but yet very,very rewarding. Just yesterday went out(its 20 out) started detecting an old farm I was froze five minutes into the hunt but I wanted badly to find my first coin of the year, three popcans later and some very frozen fingers and toes Im glad to say I dug my very first wheat penny,cant see the date yet and it does not matter, I did what I wanted. I have been at this for about five months and love every minute of it,its like being a kid again. Keep at it and you too will find the joy, happy Hunting(HH)

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi I started with a bounty hunter also, at times I get frustrated with my ace350 and will go back to the bounty hunter to ensure a few find and build my confidence back up. I would suggest starting in playgrounds and tot lots, you are pretty much guarenteed to find coins scattered about and the occasional piece of jewelry. If one play lot does not turn up much move on,its been picked over. I have been to a few school playgrounds that must get hit almost daily by someone nearby,once I realize this I will stay away from there and go other places. Parks are good, the volleyball courts, sand box,swings etc... If you make half dozen finds you will be hooked, fishing used to be my hobby, now its dirt fishing(metal detecting) and many a days I wonder what the hell did I get myself into .lol Then the smile breaks out on my face and i realize the joy of finding even a penny, small but yet very,very rewarding. Just yesterday went out(its 20 out) started detecting an old farm I was froze five minutes into the hunt but I wanted badly to find my first coin of the year, three popcans later and some very frozen fingers and toes Im glad to say I dug my very first wheat penny,cant see the date yet and it does not matter, I did what I wanted. I have been at this for about five months and love every minute of it,its like being a kid again. Keep at it and you too will find the joy, happy Hunting(HH)

Well said, very true.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ASR77 said:
Wife bought me a bounty hunter as I am new so I didn't want to fork out tons of cash yet. Well my first find was in my back yard and it was some Tin foil about 10 inches down. Well I hope to find something more. @ still learning

Get used to digging trash, its a big part of detecting. Keep at it & the good stuff will come. HH!

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seekandfind said:

So true

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ASR77,
First off let me say welcome to our Addiction! And it's a bad one, Got a friend who just last week
traded his GF for a ATPro w/Sniper coil.....Said she didn't cook that well anyway! Seriously though,
Low and Slow is the way to go, And I suggest you dig it all to start with. Remember it's like a layer cake
You get the top layer of trash, then the next layer of trash, And so on. Hopefully sprinkled in amongst all
the trash you will find your treasure! Just don't give up. Took me a Longgggggg time to find my first Silver
And even longer to find my first CW Relics, You have joined a GREAT site, Er'body here will help you in anyway
that they can. The Guy's over on the whats it forum are Amazing...........Good Luck and .....................HH

Jan 3, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Magnet (looking to upgrade)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new also.. found couple modern cents and dimes.... and some junk... from what I hear I have a bad metal detector (cobra beach magnet and gift from GF for chistmas)... so gotta at least keep trying with this for a bit... but gotta admit I was very excited on every find... think I love this hobby lol... would be very interested in any good advice or if anyone wanted to meet up around the st pete florida area for some hunting. let me know. (very excited dirtydiggerdave).. thanks

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...except that the Bounty Hunter doesn't do that. It's a beep-n-dig machine. Not like these AT Pros WE have, lol...

There are beeps and then there are, beeps. Just a matter of listening to what the machine is saying. I had one of the first Radio Shack detectors once. There was slight differences then too. ;)

HH!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY first was a compass metal detector in 1971 ish--no needle, no screen just beep beep beep, dig dig dig --my dad and uncles loved can beer---i dug enough pulltabs, nails and foil to fill a half ton pick up truck --- i found alot of coins to, but had to work for them---i did find my oldest coin with it in about 1975, a 1774 spainish 1 real--still have it--paid $40.00 for the compass back then--just goes to show ya , you dont have to spend thousands on a m.d., persistence & work will do it .---happy new year everyone----:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread