What's new

My first finds with my AT Pro

100acre

Full Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2016
Messages
234
Reaction score
437
Golden Thread
0
Location
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went detecting today on the old plantation up in the woods not far from where I live. I had to beat my way through all the underbrush just to get to an area where I could swing the detector. It was an old Turpentine plantation with apple orchards. As it sits, many new trees had sprung up over time and it's become something of a forest again. There's an area I want to get to that I've been before where they had moved all the big quartz boulders off to one side along an old fence line and there's an old bottle dump there as well. Here's what I found today while MDing in the forest. It was really hot and humid in there so I only played around for about an hour. Anyway, I first found a broken horse shoe. Then what appears to be an old knife as it has the blood groove but is so very pitted it's hard to tell. Otherwise it may be an old rasp, or part of a broken Sword or sword bayonet maybe? I then found an old shotgun base about 8" down in hard clay. I thought it was a coin at first but...., I'm thinking old. Lastly I found an old modern bullet at about 6". This old cork bottle was just barely sticking out with only a little of the bottom edge showing. It's not all terribly exciting but it's the first stuff I've found in a while and the first from my AT Pro. I'm going back there tomorrow so stay tuned....
Thanks, and yes I filled all my holes...
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    710.1 KB · Views: 168
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    755.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Upvote 26
Slaves Grave

According to the elderly land owners around here, supposedly there's this old plantation slave's grave up on the ridge of my land. I've never detected it but I did today just to listen after of course paying my respects. You can just barely make out a shallow depression along the fence line. There's also a "headstone of sorts" made from a tallish stone embedded in the earth. It's filled with many years of leaf falls. It was a learning experience MDing next to the fence and gate further down with effects to the ATP from the fence interference. Here's another picture of the shotgun base too.

Not sure why the pictures are all horizontal.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 150
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    83 KB · Views: 135
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    108.5 KB · Views: 131
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    107.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Nice finds good luck on the next hunt.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
There's a slight possibility that the blade part is actually part of a broken sword or sword bayonet?
 
That blade looks like a straight razor. Congrats on getting out and good luck in the future. Looks like a promising site.
 
That blade looks like a straight razor. Congrats on getting out and good luck in the future. Looks like a promising site.

I was going to say straight razor, but it looked a little long. Granted I am not a razor expert. One look at my beard would be enough to explain it.
 
That blade looks like a straight razor. Congrats on getting out and good luck in the future. Looks like a promising site.

I second straight razor.
 
Congratulations on your first recoveries with the AT PRO. That machine is amazing.
 
Not too shabby for a first time to swing your AT Pro. You sound like you have pretty good instincts for reading the lay of the land and what used to be there. Good luck today.
 
I too am going with straight razor also. Electrolysis might clean the blade enough for a better ID.

Good to see a fellow NC hunter out there and enjoying the hobby. Best of luck to you sir!
 
The gold is coming - Good luck with the new machine! :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom