My first finds!

BigTyFlo

Oct 12, 2009
Hey everyone. I'm a 23 year old college kid. A few days ago, i came across an OLD metal detector in my parents attic. Turns out my brother bought it years and years ago at a goodwill for a dollar, and never used it. Any who, I decided since I'm a broke, unemployed Michigan student with lots of free time, I'd give metal detecting a try. I just went around my own yard. It sits on less than a quarter acre, and was built in the late 60s. I figured I might find a couple newer coins, but that would be it. I found so many odd pieces of metal. It blew me away. I fould over 3 dollars in coins (none silver) and a wicked old brass body train shaped pocket knife in my own yard! I LOVE this! I am literally pulling wealth out of the ground! And hey, I'm unemployed! I can't think of a better way to spend my free time! One additional note, my detector has got to be the oldest cheapest model you could possibly find. It takes one 9V battery! The sweet pocket knife was literally the LAST thing I found. Just goes to show, you gotta kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince. AND I think it's fairly safe to say that you can find treasure with pretty much ANY model.

Can't wait to go a hunting again soon!

Attachments

• Photo 24.jpg
    Photo 24.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 411
  • Photo 25.jpg
    Photo 25.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 394
  • Photo 26.jpg
    Photo 26.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 409
  • Photo 31.jpg
    Photo 31.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 445
  • Photo 36.jpg
    Photo 36.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0

LaKASkill

Jun 2, 2009
Biloxi, MS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Congratz, I bet you had a lot of fun digging up all that stuff. What is the handle of that pocket knife? Kind of blurred, is it a train? Thanx for the pics and I hope you find lots of loots.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It blew me away. I fould over 3 dollars in coins (none silver) and a wicked old brass body train shaped pocket knife in my own yard! I LOVE this! I am literally pulling wealth out of the ground! And hey, I'm unemployed!

Congrats BigTy
It's a great hobby, and you can have a great time and a lot of fun and even pick up a little on the side, but your chances of getting rich are very slim, not impossible but slim. Go out have a great time pick up a little cash or jewelery, but of all things stay in school and get a good job and a good education. Then you can go buy a new machine if your old one needs replacing, maybe two or three if you get a really good education and super job.

HH and keep your nose to the grind stone.
fccdfed

OP
OP
B

BigTyFlo

Oct 12, 2009
Oh yeah my friend,

I'm all over that idea. I'm a college senior with about a year left. Graphic design and advertising is my major, and THAT'S where I'm planning on procuring my bread and butter. I was in need of a outdoor hobby that took me to locations where I am able to run both of my amazing pit bulls, and do something else fun simultaneously. This first short hunt left me with more cash then I paid for the battery, and a great pocket knife. It is shaped like a train, and has a thick brass body that is over 2 inches long. The blade is stainless steel and only has one tiny stain on it after some minor buffing and some WD40. The blade opens smoothly and I've collected knives (around 240) for over 10 years now. Again, the metal detector I got for free is a model (MD-89N) which features the word "ALERT" in the shape of what looks like a whale. Very old. Works splendidly. I have a couple more areas in mind that should suit my needs quite well. I wish you all well. I'm putting all valuable items found including cash into a drawer that will hopefully, someday be able to buy me a slightly better detector. Talk about a perfect fit :)

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job... all my land hunting is with an old 5500 coin master... if it ain't under your coil even the best machine won't find it... :thumbsup:

pitbullfan

Sep 18, 2009
Newton Grove, NC
Detector(s) used
First: Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Now: Excal
Dude, great hunt!! And it sounds like you're as hooked as me.

As for your machine....it seems to detect metal just fine ;D So if you keep hunting you will definitely keep finding. I've been at this just over a month and have had the time of my life digging up my 368 coins so far.

If you can't tell by my name...i got a pitbull too and he's soooooo cool :thumbsup:

Keep at it and keep showing us what you find.

HH
-jason

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigTyFlo first off let me say congrats you now have contracted an illness that will consume your life an mind an there is no cure lol you've caught the detectin bug ;D welcome to the family lol .

seems like the old girl still remembers her job so I'm gonna send you out on a project , you liked diggin the coins , search out any kids play grounds nere where your at you'll be blown away at the stuff you find .

Let us know how you do an once again welcome to the best addiction you'll ever get . :icon_thumleft: Happy Hunting Tank

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great start, you'll catch the fever.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Welcome to our great hobby! That is outstanding for a first time out. Enjoy the forms here they cover all aspects of this hobby and lots more. From bottle hunting, coin rolling, yard sales, treasure hunting, and much much more. Hope to see additional posts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread