🥇 BANNER My First GOLD Coin

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I was working a wooded area near a circa 1912 homestead cellar hole. I was finding the usual junk iron and nails; usually run a wide open screen on my machines and dig everything. After about an hour of digging nothing of great value (coin, button…etc) I began searching the rear of the house area (now part of a corn field) in a small grid based on my search flags positioned in the ground. While overlapping the first with the second at 90 degrees I received an interesting/odd mid/higher tone with a VID of 67 on the Garrett AT Pro. In many of the places I hunt this range 63 — 68 is very old can slaw, so I wasn’t expecting anything of significant value. Although, I have dug Indian cents in this range!

I dug a plug (actually removed about 8” of dirt) in the nice rich garden type soil and began exploring the area with the pin pointer so not to damage whatever was in the hole; you never really know! After two sweeps of the pin pointer “it shouted” about an inch more and I scooped dirt out of the hole with my gloved hand. I very quickly noticed a shiny gold object that looked at first glance like a golden screw cap that I’ve dug about a thousand times. My disappointment to sheer joy happened when I observed an image on the object. I screamed to myself inside “Holy Crap” it’s a gold coin. A 1909 D Indian Head Half Eagle was in my hand! I think it will be tough to top this find, unless of course a Pine Tree Shilling “pops out of the hole”.

I put the coin in a protective finds case (after rinsing with water, drying and reburied for a photo; in my excitement I forgot to photograph the coin in place.) and brought it home. I know not to clean it (never cleaned valuable coins before), but since selling the coin was not an option…I cleaned it. First using water, then soapy water and lastly a jeweler placed the coin in an ultra sonic cleaner for gold jewelry. I know everyone is cringing at this point, but it was my first gold coin and was not a key date or mint mark and definitely not for sale. The jewelers cleaning made the coin look beautiful, only making the experience of the find more significant. After carefully examining the coin it appears to have a grade of Fine. So, in the case it goes sharing the space with his new Spanish Reale friends!

GL & HH

Regards,

Doc

CAM00740.jpg

100_6720.JPG DSCN0389.JPG DSCN0388.JPG

Attachments

• CAM00777.jpg
    CAM00777.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 1,129
Last edited:
Upvote 183

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha!...
As I type this I see you have no clue you made Banner.....
Would love to see the expression on your face when you log on and see your gold up top!....
Congrats on your first of many Banners!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your Banner! Such an awesome find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello BigWaveDave,

I too wish you could have seen my face, what a great surprise! It means a lot to me that people like this coin, too.

GL & HH

Doc

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I wish to thank everyone that voted, commented and asked questions about the gold half eagle coin. I'm so glad to be part of this fine Tnet organization having the opportunity to view such wonderful finds members discover everyday.

GL & HH

Best Regards,

Doc

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I was working a wooded area near a circa 1912 homestead cellar hole. I was finding the usual junk iron and nails; usually run a wide open screen on my machines and dig everything. After about an hour of digging nothing of great value (coin, button…etc) I began searching the rear of the house area (now part of a corn field) in a small grid based on my search flags positioned in the ground. While overlapping the first with the second at 90 degrees I received an interesting/odd mid/higher tone with a VID of 67 on the Garrett AT Pro. In many of the places I hunt this range 63 — 68 is very old can slaw, so I wasn’t expecting anything of significant value. Although, I have dug Indian cents in this range!

I dug a plug (actually removed about 8” of dirt) in the nice rich garden type soil and began exploring the area with the pin pointer so not to damage whatever was in the hole; you never really know! After two sweeps of the pin pointer “it shouted” about an inch more and I scooped dirt out of the hole with my gloved hand. I very quickly noticed a shiny gold object that looked at first glance like a golden screw cap that I’ve dug about a thousand times. My disappointment to sheer joy happened when I observed an image on the object. I screamed to myself inside “Holy Crap” it’s a gold coin. A 1909 D Indian Head Half Eagle was in my hand! I think it will be tough to top this find, unless of course a Pine Tree Shilling “pops out of the hole”.

I put the coin in a protective finds case (after rinsing with water, drying and reburied for a photo; in my excitement I forgot to photograph the coin in place.) and brought it home. I know not to clean it (never cleaned valuable coins before), but since selling the coin was not an option…I cleaned it. First using water, then soapy water and lastly a jeweler placed the coin in an ultra sonic cleaner for gold jewelry. I know everyone is cringing at this point, but it was my first gold coin and was not a key date or mint mark and definitely not for sale. The jewelers cleaning made the coin look beautiful, only making the experience of the find more significant. After carefully examining the coin it appears to have a grade of Fine. So, in the case it goes sharing the space with his new Spanish Reale friends!

GL & HH

Regards,

Doc

View attachment 1361225

View attachment 1361226 View attachment 1372892 View attachment 1372891

Congrats!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Proff; CONGRATULATIONS.!!! Welcome to the Gold Coin Club. I hereby Vote BANNER. What say ye Folks ?? AWESOME. PEACE:RONB

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an exciting moment that must have been. Good for you, congratulations!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

GL & HH

Regards,

Doc

View attachment 1361225

View attachment 1361226 View attachment 1372892 View attachment 1372891

I missed this one, Sure did take it awhile to make banner.
Sorry I missed it , I would have Voted.
But
Always seeing you guy's in the NE Dig old Coins / Relics really hurts me ...Crying.. ...LOL
For real tho Congratulations on your first Gold Coin , Ill get one someday, when I least expect it.
WTG
Davers

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooahh!! Man this is a stunning find! I can't comprehend it! Congratulations!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see this finally make BANNER !!

jimbonito58

May 6, 2016
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/stock coil , 8x5 & nels storm ,garret carrot
Makro racer 2 w/stock coil ,5" round & 9x5.5 Makro PinP
Mindlab CTX 3030 11'coil / 10x5 coiltek, Minelab 17" smart coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congratulations ... epic !!

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you so much for the story and the share. Only in my dreams could I find such a lovely coin. I hope you and your family enjoy it for many many years to come.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Speaking of dreams, I've actaully had this exact dream....digging a $5 indian.

Grats to ya, thanks for sharing and happy holidays all!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Banner Doc, well deserved. It's great to see some new blood getting noticed for a find or 2.

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Loco-Digger,

Thank you for the kind words! I hope your next! :icon_thumleft:

Doc

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unreal!! So sick!! Was talking to buddy about this find, turns out he's the one who sold you some gear on eBay, Jeff. And we are BOTH so jealous brother!! In my opinion, that is the most beautiful coin the US has ever minted, even prettier than the St Gauden's double eagle. Love seeing gold coins dug within 45 minutes of me, gives us hope lol. Another guy got a quarter eagle up by Fitchburg a couple months ago in an old Apple orchard. Congrats on a find in 10 lifetimes!! Gorgeous. Ps in box me, and let me know when you want to go back to this sight. I will fly with you. Lol. Cheers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread