Upvote 0

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The piece that looks like a hammer should have a hole in it for a pin to hold it in place. The slot looks like it may be for some flint, but I don't see the device for holding the flint. Were these items close to each other in the ground? As they appear to be the same metal and color, is it possible both parts are from a clock?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you found a cap gun part. Real firearms aren't made with the hammer and trigger all together on the same piece of metal, but I have seen that on a cap gun. Go to this link and it will show all the working parts of a gunlock. The trigger trips the sear, which allows the hammer to fall. The trigger and hammer together would never work. Chemistry - Caplock mechanism

OP
OP
P

picker1733

Dec 20, 2012
somewhere in philadelphia
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl iii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mate, I think your right. But this piece is pretty heavy for a cap gun mechanism. Appears to made out of iron. Whatever it is, its pretty cool.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you'll have to keep looking for your first gun part, that is definitely not one. Keep looking they are out there!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good start and good luck next hunt.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you found a cap gun part. Real firearms aren't made with the hammer and trigger all together on the same piece of metal, but I have seen that on a cap gun. Go to this link and it will show all the working parts of a gunlock. The trigger trips the sear, which allows the hammer to fall. The trigger and hammer together would never work. Chemistry - Caplock mechanism

My first response to this was that cap guns had not been around long enough to look that aged. Then I remembered that I was using cap guns sixty years ago! Time does fly. I agree that it is more likely a cap gun than a real gun, but it still may be something else. I'd like to know how close it was to that clock piece.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys, i looked at this for a while and yes, it looks like it could be from a gun, more of a cap gun. Then i looked at it longer and on the back side it looks like there are extra parts sticking out. I have a feeling it is part of a clock or some other type of mechanical piece like a clock.

OP
OP
P

picker1733

Dec 20, 2012
somewhere in philadelphia
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl iii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found both piece's a few hundred yards apart. I don't think it's from a clock, but i'm not a gun or clock expert. I think i'll take it to my local gun shop, for another opinion.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found both piece's a few hundred yards apart. I don't think it's from a clock, but i'm not a gun or clock expert. I think i'll take it to my local gun shop, for another opinion.

If the pieces were not together, I doubt they go together. They just looked to be about the same age. Good luck and let us know what you find.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My experience is that old cap guns are quite common, I even found one in each of two adjacent Victorian-era home-sites. The toy guns were probably played with together
by the boys that owned them. I hAVe yet to find any real gun parts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread