My First Hunt

swimwooly

Mar 18, 2009
Mass / NH Border
So my detector came yesterday, (Bounty Hunter Quick Silver) a cheap one I know but I want to make sure I enjoy this hobby before dropping more $. So as luck would have it, it poured all day yesterday so I got to sit inside and just pass objects over the coil.
I woke up this morning and it was beautiful! so I grabbed my gear and headed out. First stop, a state park near my house. I went yesterday to read the rules and there was nothing about metal detecting so good to go! I figured that at the park there would be plenty of targets so at least I could learn how to use my detector. (there is a beach and woods)
Not 10 steps out of the parking lot I had my first beep, a dime!, 1988 nothing special but I was excited. I continued to hunt around trails and campsites finding 3 other dimes (oldest 1974) and 4 pennies (oldest 1961) not to mention plenty of tabs and iron. (P.S. I met the park director, nice guy, reminded me to fill my holes which I promised to do) Then it was off to the beach, where I found out that my detector thinks lead fishing sinkers look an awful lot like coins. After a while I had to go to work so I called it a day. After work I went over to a site in my town that I have been waiting on for quite a while where they knocked down an old brick factory building near downtown and now all that is left is an empty lot. I only had about 30 min to detect but I did manage to find a brass knob that must weigh a pound! There is so much stuff in the ground there that detecting is hard, and with so many bricks the digging is even harder. (If anyone has any tips on digging in a brick infested minefield let me know) All in all a great first day can't wait to try a few other spots tomorrow!

Attachments

• First Finds 033109.jpg
    First Finds 033109.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 622
Upvote 0
Nice hunt, looks like my first one too (and several since then). Just wait 'til you find that first really old coin or cool piece of gold or silver jewelry, you'll be hooked for good. I look at it like fishing, it wouldn't be as fun if I went out and caught record size fish every time. Eventually it would get boring. But never knowing what you are going to find or when or where you will find it...that keeps ot fun. I have dug a zillion nails and pulltabs and I always hope for that big gold double eagle when I decide to dig a target.
As far as your brick minefield goes, once you learn your detector you can be a little more selective and only dig the really good signals or go to a smaller coil if possible. I haven't tried a smaller coil yet but a lot of folks on here swear by them for target rich (trasy) areas. Welcome to Tnet,

HH Charlie

Congratulations on your first hunt and Welcome to the World's Best Hobby!
Happy Hunting!

John

Welcome ! Sometimes you have to dig a lot of junk before you find the treasure. Hang in there.

Congrats!! on your First Hunt and Your First Post. More will come I'm sure along with some silver and gold. All The Best, Charlie :thumbsup:

Good Job, if you can find the new stuff, you will find the oldies, good luck !

TommNJ

vision quest said:
Welcome ! Sometimes you have to dig a lot of junk before you find the treasure. Hang in there.

sometimes :D I call it trash hunting.

All I can add is hunt the ploughed fields. Do your research & look for lost homesteads in open fields.

Welcome and nice first hunt! Sound like you are having fun... just have to be a little patient before you get that first OMG target that truly hooks you! :) It seems like you are looking at the right places. I grew up in Manchester, N.H.! Lots of old places to hunt in NE huh? :icon_biggrin:

Nice finds for your first time out.
The more you swing that thing the more you'll understand what it's telling you.
Welcome to the madness!
Mike

Welcome to a great hobby. It won't be long before you'll want to get a better machine. And you deserve one, you have the ability to find things on your first trip out. Best of luck and enjoy yourself. It's not what you find, it's having fun trying to find it. If it's out there you will find it. Best of luck.

Oh no, I hear it in your voice........you have it bad. Your life will change, for sure.

Great first hunt. You did really well. Learn what the machine tells you and you will get even better.

DM

I am also a proud owner of a "Bounty Hunter" It was $99.00 at a fash cash store and works ok.Your first finds are good and hope you have plenty more.I've only been doing this for almost a year and still learning.I borrowed a friends "Whites Spectrum,and that is so much better and still learning.These where found mostly with my Bounty Hunter. Idig :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 223
welcome to the club

Just a matter of time before you hit 1700's or 1800's where you live. Keep at it .

welcome to the hobby! man to be new again wouldnt that be something. its a long dusty path but its worth it. my heads just fog now from doing so much research to find old sites. but eventualy it pays off with much persistance. do me a favor and just get out and have a fun time. the silver will come and wait till you find a old copper! willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back