flarng

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2014
Northwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I got my new Ace 350 on monday, and after glanceing at the manual I took it out on my property mostly to just check it out. Long story short, I found some tinfoil and an old square nail. I know it isn't much, but the old nail was kinda cool. I cant wait to take it to the river bank this weekend and see what the sandy banks have to offer.

Upvote 0

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it all starts with the first dig, the first everything and only expands from there, the more you dig, the more you learn and the more you find. good luck

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you haven't already, bury a penny, nickel, dine, and quarter a few inches below soil and about 2 feet apart. Mark with a golf tee so you know where they are located. Now see what each coin sounds like with your new machine and make sure you know the signal, and are getting a reading etc. I'm assuming you are new to MD here and this machine. Good luck!

OP
OP
F

flarng

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2014
Northwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been digging every signal and I've been using zero more so I can learn what everything sonds like. I haven't tried burying any coins yet, but that's a great idea, thanks. I do have a pinpointer, but it's not the best. I'm saving for a Garrett now. I'm also open to any other advice. Thanks again.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you haven't already, bury a penny, nickel, dine, and quarter a few inches below soil and about 2 feet apart. Mark with a golf tee so you know where they are located. Now see what each coin sounds like with your new machine and make sure you know the signal, and are getting a reading etc. I'm assuming you are new to MD here and this machine. Good luck!

You may also want to bury a trash item in your detecting garden, such as a pull tab. Happy hunting, the fun has begun. I've been at it about a year, haven't found much yet but I'm getting better at learning my machine and for me I think it's like real estate: location, location, location LOL. Enjoy! 8-)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been digging every signal and I've been using zero more so I can learn what everything sonds like. I haven't tried burying any coins yet, but that's a great idea, thanks. I do have a pinpointer, but it's not the best. I'm saving for a Garrett now. I'm also open to any other advice. Thanks again.
Beach/sand hunting will help you find all kinds of targets in a short period of time. That will help you get used to what your machine is telling you. Also, save a bit more money and get the White's TRX instead of the Garrett ProPointer. You'll be happier in the long run.

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha i did the exact same thing you did, ignored the manual for the most part and scampered off in search of treasures. Big mistake for me, way too much junk. So today i spent a good portion of the evening watching youtube and instructional vids concerning my model and tips/tricks of pinpointing where/how to minimize target location, had much smoother lil hunt tonight. Love the all metal mode now, helps a ton pinpointing down a signal. Found a good lil cache of modern change next to a tree and still havent got it all up yet.

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got the AT Gold yesterday huge amount to learn from the Ace 250.
Just found the 2nd gold ring with the Ace 250 last Tuesday at the beach now the learning starts all over!

OP
OP
F

flarng

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2014
Northwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't say I ignored the manual. The 350 manual is only a few pages long, and while I didn't study it like scripture, I did read it.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Personally, I find that this does nothing except make the operator anxious that their machine is defective. I have yet to witness a new coin garden that actually gives realistic IDs or a fraction of the depth that can be obtained on real hunts. I don't mean to bash your post, but I think logging some hours on the machine would prove much more effective.

Jonny Boy

Greenie
Feb 16, 2014
Broadway, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't forget your own back yard! I' am new to the hobby also and been working my own back yard and found a lot of old stuff. I have found Big one cents dated 1838 and today 1799 Big one cent.

If I may suggest do some reading. Charles Garrett's "The Successful Coin Hunting" is great book for us new hunters. Also, Stephen L. Moore's "Relic Quest" another great read. Don't forget "Lost Treasure" magazine a great publication. The August 2014 issue has a great article by Andy Saisch called "Looking to Make More Finds This Year".

What others are saying about learning your machine (I also have Garrett Ace 350) is so true. You must got the same package I did with that crappie Pin Pointer. Let you next purchase be Garrett Pin Pointer, they are great tool.

Good luck and best wishes to you.

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say I ignored the manual. The 350 manual is only a few pages long, and while I didn't study it like scripture, I did read it.

Ya thats what i mean, sorry if it came at you wrong. Mine was hard to understand anyway, had to get on youtube to really understand how to use the notch mode and some tips/tricks that you wont find in any manual anyway

OP
OP
F

flarng

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2014
Northwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So here's an update. I took the Ace on my first pseudo-real hunt today just before dark. I headed down to the river, and it's sugar sand bank. I found some bottle caps, and a 30-30 casing in about 45 minutes. Nothing special, but I like that I'm finding stuff. I also found out that I need a sand scoop for hunting in the water. That's the next thing on my list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread