Lieut. H.O. Flipper and Tayopa - 1887

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Don Jose would be disappointed there hasn't been a new post on the Tayopa thread for quite some time. Here's an article I know he would have enjoyed reading.

This cup of sox coffee is for you, Don Jose. By all accounts, a good man to ride the river with!

MEXICO’S LOST MINES.
-----
A Story of the Discovery by Recent
Explorers.
-----

A special dispatch from the City of Mexico to the St. Louis Globe-Democrat says : Lieut. H.O. Flipper, late of the United States army, whose expedition through Sonora has resulted in important discoveries, is in the city. He confirms in full the story of the finding of the Guyaopa and Tayopa, two of the historical lost mines ; but besides this he brings maps and information of greatest interest and value to both Americans and Mexicans. Lieut. Flipper’s narrative of what he has seen in the wilds of Sonora is marvelously entertaining. On the United States military maps, of comparatively recent date, a district embracing Northern Sonora and Southern New Mexico and Arizona is designated as Tierra Discerrecida (unknown land). This is still particularly true of Sonora, about which country there is a great interest in the United States. Speaking generally of what the expedition found, Lieut. Flipper says:

“As to the grazing and agricultural possibilities of the land we have surveyed, I say nothing. As to mining, I consider the Sonora the richest region in the republic of Mexico, or on the continent. It is the least developed, and is practically virgin soil. We have seen gold, silver, copper, coal, plumbago, marble and tale-talc, or soapstone. The traditions of mines of fabulous richness find abundant confirmation. In the ruined towns are heaps of slag, old furnaces, gold washes and troughs cut of solid stone or made of cut stone masonry, which we saw all over Eastern Sonora. On the very tops of high mountains, among the great pine and fir trees, we found innumerable peach, apple, fig and other fruit trees, especially pomegranites [sic]. These and the ruins of old dams, sluices, or acequias, in the heart of the mountains, in small canyons, are unmistakable evidences of the fact of this country having been occupied by the Spaniards. The ruins of old churches, east of Nacon Chica, for example, show that these people were and not mere prospectors, but that they founded towns hear the mines they worked, and worked on a large scale.”

THE SEVEN LOST MINES.

To a request for some information about the seven lost mines mentioned by Humboldt and other early travelers, Lieut. Flipper said:

“According to tradition and records of these times now existing in the churches of Chihuahua and Sonora, seven immensely rich mines were abandoned and never afterward worked, because of the Indians. The names of these mines are known, but I can recall none, except two, the Guayopa and Tayopa, which we found. At one of the mines, as tradition goes, all the people were killed by the Indians and everything destroyed that the Indians could destroy. There was, however, a store room in which the silver bars were stored till transportation to Guadalaja [sic], the then capital of New Spain, could be obtained. There was a large amount of silver in the room at the time under a strong lock and key, and this the Indians, it is supposed, could not and did not destroy.

“I am telling you the story as it is still firmly believed in Sonora and Chihuahua. Many an expedition has been organized to look for this store of fabulous wealth, but no one has found it. It is said that three Mexicans, some three or four years ago, did actually locate it. They described it as being built down in a deep, narrow canyon, into which they could find no entrance except by sliding down on ropes fastened above. This they did. They claimed to have seen through cracks in the roof, an immense number of bars of silver piled in the room, which was large. One of their number, attempting to effect an entrance, fell from the roof, and was dashed to pieces on the rocks below. His companions construed this as a warning from heaven to desist, and they did so. They have never been able to find the house since. They claim the house is built in the canyon up high above the bed of the mountain torrent that flows through. Their theory is that communication with the storehouse is by a secret passage extending back through the mountain some distance to the mine and reduction works. They found the ruins of the works, but could not find the second passage.”

ROUGHNESS OF THE COUNTRY.

“If the Mexicans located the store house once why couldn’t they do it again?”

The lieutenant thought as he replied : “If you could see the country you would have no need to ask the question. Tradition locates the lost mines near the boundary of Sonora and Chihuahua. The boundary between these two states is said to be the summit of the Sierra Madre. The Sierra Madre is not a chain of mountains, as many suppose, but a sea of lofty peaks and messas [sic]. They are in an immense basin, standing in the Pedonraeis pass in Chihuahua at the east side of an immense prairie or plain. One looks down upon the Bufa or Cusihuirachi, which is 1700 feet above the sea level. The famous Yaqui river rises in the plains of Chihuahua on the east side of the Sierra Madre, flows northeast of the mountains, turns and flows a little south of west, nearly due southwest, nearly northwest and then southeast, and finally, having passed through them, turns and flows almost southwest to the gulf of California.

There are more streams to the Sierra Madre than out of it in the two states of Chihuahua and Sonora. A person who has not seen it can have no idea of what a jumble of peaks, canyons and torrents it is. There is no way of solving the mystery but by organized effort. If some one who had the means, the disposition and sufficient knowledge of Spanish would visit the churches of Western Chihuahua and Eastern Sonora, and thoroughly examine such records as there exist in regard to all mines, I am sure it would be no great task to locate all of these mines. Whole towns, as well as mining camps, have disappeared. A careful collection and comparison of the records would undoubtedly lead to the re-discovery of these miles, which were abandoned simply because Mr. Lo [?] decided it. There are evidences everywhere of this hitherto unknown country having been populated by others than the Indians, who are still there in more or less decreasing numbers.

INDIAN TROUBLES.

“Do Indians still stand in the way of the development of the country?”

[“] No ; this was the home of the Apaches until recently. They drove away the miners and made the region uninhabitable for centuries. The other Indians, who the, as now, occupied it in large numbers, such as the Pinoes, Opulas, Series, Papagoes, Arenoses and others, are and have been at peace with their Spanish or Anglo-Saxon neighbors. The Apaches, however, have been more recalcitrant, and have occupied the country to the exclusion of all whites, except at rare intervals. About eighty years ago the Apache tribe was induced by a prominent priest of Sonora to settle on the Sonora river, near the town of Bacuachi, and remained there in peach for about forty years, when they left their peaceful pursuits because of personal injuries received by one of their chiefs at the hands of a priest. They have been on the warpath ever since.”

“Did your expedition have any trouble with the Indians?”

“We began surveying the public lands in Sonora in August, 1885, and have been continually surveying from that time up to the present. While this section was at the mercy of the Indians and General Crook’s pet scouts, we began our work at Monument No. 18, on the Union Pacific lines, and continued our work till we had finished that district known as the District Arispe. All of that time, or at least for four months, a party of surveyors of a rival company lay in Tombstone, A.T., waiting the end of the Indian campaign to commence work. The Indians were near us many times, yet we were fortunate enough not to meet them.

SEVERAL CLOSE CALLS.

“On one occasion a party of Mexicans who had been traveling along with us for protection left us at Bacuachi and started for Forteras. At 4 P. M. the same day they were ambushed, and seven out of twelve were killed, including one woman and her two small children. At another time Mr. Glenn and one man ascended a hill to take observations, and while they heard firing below, thinking it was his own men shooting at game, he paid not attention to it. When he came down he encountered an American severely wounded in the leg, who told him he had been fired upon by Indians, and he managed to escape. The American’s partner had been killed. The body was found afterwards. They were prospectors. The two parties of surveyors were repeatedly reported killed by the Indians. Though often in their vicinity we never had any casualties at their hands and we were never molested in our work by others than Indians except on two occasions. The perfect or governor of the Oriage district ordered us to stop work and leave the country, claiming that he had such orders from the City of Mexico. After considering the matter we reported to headquarters and continued our labors. I afterwards had to force him to present me the letters of his land for examination. The revolution of Montezuma delayed us nearly a month, though the people manifested the greatest good will towards us.

~ The Ketchum Keystone [Ketchum, Idaho] 11 June 1887 [VOL. 6. NO. 25.]

------- o0o -------​

Editor’s Notes:

Baron Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859) is one of the most fascinating people who have ever lived. There isn’t room here to fairly describe his life and accomplishments. The reader who investigates will be well rewarded. Lieut. Flipper doesn’t specify in which of Humboldt’s many books he describes these mines. It might have been his Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Spain (1814).

I have not been able to identify Hamilton. Any suggestions will be great appreciated.

I have posted other articles about the most interesting Lieut. H.O. Flipper and his search for Tayopa:

(26) Lost Mines in Mexico - An Important Discovery by H.O. Flipper August 21, 1889 | TreasureNet 🧭 The Original Treasure Hunting Website

(26) Sonora Antiquities by Lieut. Henry O. Flipper - 1889 | TreasureNet 🧭 The Original Treasure Hunting Website

------- o0o -------
Good luck to all,

the Old Bookaroo

Sox coffee and Don Jose; all great memories.
Where is Hamilton mentioned?
Don in SoCal
Thank you for a very good question! I have been working on several different articles at the same time, and I have gotten them confused.

I sincerely appreciate you pointing out my error!

Here's the article I was thinking about when I wrote that.

MEXICAN BONANZA.
_______

Two of the Seven Lost Mines
Discovered by Americans

Mountains of
Treasure Which Have Been
Hidden for More Than
a Century

-------​

Special Dispatch to the [St. Louis] Globe-Democrat.

CITY of MEXICO, VIA EL PASO, Texas,

April 29. __ Any one at all familiar with Mexican history will recall the accounts of the seven lost mines, Humbolt [sic], Hamilton and, in fact, most of those who traveled in and wrote of Mexico, had something to say about these mines and the fabulous wealth obtained from them by the Spaniards. Humboldt made his tour through the country in 1804, and though the recollections of the treasures were comparatively fresh, there was no record or description from which the minds could be located. They were worked up to the middle of the last century.

In 1856 the Indians swept over Northern Mexico and destroyed Chihuahua. At that time the miners were either killed or driven off. Then it was that the seven mines, which were known as the richest in the world, were abandoned. The Indians held possession of the country so long that records were lost and the mountains of treasure were located only by tradition. One reason why more thorough search was not made was that so long as the Apaches were roaming through the mountains of Northern Mexico individual prospecting was out of the question as such could only be made with a small army. The Mexicans were always at the point of going to hunt the lost mines, but never got very far.

SEARCHING FOR THE TREASURE.

Tradition located these mines, or part of them, in Sonora, the northwestern of the Mexican states. The best information obtainable was that they were in the heart of a mountainous region not far from the Chihuahua boundary. Maximillian, toward the end of his attempt to establish an empire in Mexico, sent out an expedition in search of the lost mines. His plan was quite elaborate, and included the building of a railroad from the Pacific coast to the mines if he found them all right. Just at the time Maximillian was shot the expedition had located, as supposed, two of the lost mines, and the civil engineer, a Frenchman, had made a map of the region. The news reached the party that the empire was no more, the Mexicans scattered and the French engineer fled for his life. He sought refuge with a priest in the interior of Sonora, and after remaining in concealment some time, found means to reach the coast and thus escaped, but he left his map in the hands of the priest.

AMERICAN ENTERPRISE.

Now comes the recent developments, to which the foregoing is only preliminary. A three months’ expedition through Sonora has just been completed by a party of Americans, including Lieutenant Flipper, formerly of the United States army; W.K. Glenn, of Illinois; M.J. Power, of Sonora, and Captain Allen and J. McIntyre, of Chicago. Flipper and Glenn went out as civil engineers to report on the country in the interest of the Sonora Land company, of which J.A. Kruse, of Chicago, is the general manager. Power and McIntyre were in search of mines. The party has been out three months this time, but Lieutenant Flipper had previously spent a year surveying and looking up lands for the company in this same district.

Until this last expedition, it was necessary to keep the party together on account of the Indians. Mr. Kruse some months ago obtained through private sources, the map which Maximillan’s [sic] engineer had left behind him, and when Lieutenant Flipper and his associates started out about three months ago it was with the determination of trying to solve the mystery of the lost mines, or at least to make as good use as possible of the information from the French engineer had collected. In looking through the records of an old church in an interior village of Sonora, the Americans found corroborating evidence of the accuracy of the map.

ONE OF THE MINES DISCOVERED.

Thus encouraged they divided into four small parties and made a thorough search, having previously agreed upon a place of meeting. Flipper and McIntyre afterward came together with their men and located on what is believed to be the “Tayopa,” one of the lost seven. This is a silver mine. It is in the midst of thousands of buildings, among them large churches and forts. Within a radius of three miles Lieut. Flipper counted 420 workings, some of the shafts being several hundred feet deep. There were hundreds of old Spanish furnaces and tons upon tons of waste and slag. Capt. McIntyre discovered the mine, and men have already commenced where the Spanish let off in 1756. The ore from the mine is now being assayed.

Power and his party were gone so long that the others concluded the Indians or Mexicans had waylaid and killed them, but after six weeks, however, the men turned up with news enough to account for the delay. They had found the “Guaynopa,” another of the lost mines.

DESCRIPTION OF THE MINE.

This is a free milling gold mine. It is in the heart of the Sierra Madre Mountains, and the workings are near the top of a conical shaped mountain. A road hewn through the solid rocks circles around this mountain, starting from the water at the base and leading to the mine. One chamber of the mine is 100 feet wide, 400 feet long and 90 feet high. This will give an idea of how the mine was worked by the Spaniards. There are several of those chambers. There is no dump; every pound of rock has been taken out and carried down the mountain and worked, evidence that the ore was homogeneous and all rich enough to go to the Rastora [sic]. There are the ruins of 118 Rastoras at the foot of the mountain.

The Rastora was the old Spanish and Mexican stamp mill, consisting of rude mule power, by which large rocks were dragged over the ore, crushing it. Mr. Power has claimed this mine for Mr. Kruse and himself. The ore brought out has been assayed and gives $16 to the ton, it being perfectly free milling. By way of comparison it may be stated that the Homestake, probably the most profitable gold mine at this time in the States, pays $100,000 a month on ore which yields $8.80 a ton.

Mr. Power is the expert who located the principal part of the Comstock lode in Nevada. He is a brother of Father Power of St. Louis. Also by this mine was found the deserted stronghold of the Apaches. There were forts on the mountain tops and tons of jerked meat were scattered about. The Apaches had utilized the homes from which the miners had been driven. There were indications of Indian occupancy extending through many years. The news of these discoveries had been brought to the City of Mexico by parties from Sonora.

The Aspen Daily Times [Aspen, Pitkin County, Colorado] 1 May 1887 [Volume III – No. 62]

~ A shorter version of this article appeared in the Omaha Daily World (Omaha, Nebraska) 27 April 1887 [VOL. 2. NO. 210.]

------- o0o -------
Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old bookaroo ,
I just read your latest and most interesting article but failed (again) to see any mention of Hamilton.
Don in SoCal

Alway good to hear from you. Your posts are uniformly informative, helpful and friendly over an astonishingly wide range.

This time, however, it looks like you need a good night's sleep, instead of staying up late reading TN...

"April 29. __ Any one at all familiar with Mexican history will recall the accounts of the seven lost mines, Humbolt [sic], Hamilton and, in fact, most of those who traveled in and wrote of Mexico..."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old bookaroo,
My bad. Thank you.
Top of col. 7 here: https://gahistoricnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/lccn/sn86063034/1887-04-28/ed-1/seq-1/
speaks of Hamilton though the article repeats what you have already written.
Don in SoCal

They certainly butchered that article - Lieut. "Kipper?" #seriously? Humboldt and Hamilton, of course, were not "members of the party." The Baron had gone to his reward long before 1887. I can't address Hamilton because I haven't identified him, but I very much doubt he was still alive and kicking, either.

It is interesting that this butchered article was published in a Savannah, GA, newspaper. It is a boon to the modern researcher that many newspapers in the mid-19th through the early 20th centuries reprinted articles from other papers. The first article transcribed above I found in a paper that had been repaired with adhesive tape. Many key words were obscured. I then stumbled across a reprint in another paper that was clear. Some of my best guesses on the missing words were in error.

I used to think newspapers copying each other was the result of a lax attitude toward copyright law and respect for original content. Then I read the most interesting The King of Confidence by Miles Harvey (2020) and learned there was formal system, sponsored by the US Mail, for newspapers to share articles.

This is, indeed, a boon to the modern researcher. The original edition of a specific article may not be readily available - but it can be readily found in another paper.

This is the first example I've come across where the reprinting paper completely mangled the story. Overall, editors generally did a much better job than this.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back