My First Huntings - East Coast

A3TresHunter-NJ

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been lurking here for several weeks as I was planning a camping trip with my wife to one of the lakes upstate NY. Learned a lot reading posts of this site and others and ordered the first panning kit.

Well let me tell you the lake we were at had a lot of small grains. At one point when I first was panning while my wife was catching some bass a lady with her kid and dog passed by and asked how I was doing and stated that here husband and son tried it one time but didn't realize how much patience it took. While she was talking with me the sun came out a bit from it's overcast of clouds and I'm looking in the water and saw all this glitter! I comely said that trying to find some gem stones from my wife and agreed with having to be patient. Since my pan skill is not that great yet plus the magnet that came with pan kit seemed not working I stopped there.

Now when we were out and about we will stop by and check out local streams to check for fishing well we found this one small stream in the area were I took out the pan from the car and there again was a lot of small grains. We returned the next day and was there for couple of hours think pulled some nice specs and thin flakes. I'll have to test these when the testing kit comes in to confirm.
There also was a lot of iron pirate and looked like mica.

We found a beautiful pink quarts about size of a cantaloupe at first thought speckled with gold but from what see of it dry and at other site picture examples looks like mica. But still nice looking rock.

I also am out for work weekly to Harrisburg, Pa and checked some spots out this week from suggestions I found via google and here. Wow what a disappointment compared to NY...for one much muddier water plus coming form seeing promising with naked eye to nothing in pan big let down lol. But also there couple spots I wanted to check as I have theory where something could be but can't get to these spots because don't want to tread through peoples yards and/or will need to borrow my dad's canoe to get too because of thicker woods areas. I'll let you now if I do or if wife and I head back up to upstate NY soon. We'll be going to Finger Lakes for week during labor day and will check that out too.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the finger lakes can be good .they were carved by glaciers which carried gold from from up north have fun happy happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread