My First Month Of MDing......and boy does this take some patience

Enki

Sep 13, 2011
My First Month Of MD'ing......and boy does this take some patience

I use a Garret Ace 350

I even went out and bought a pro-pointer like you all advised. It def helps alot.

I have searched beaches, parks, yards, and even in the woods.

All I find is pull tabs :dontknow:

And when I do find a coin I find its a penny from the 1990's or a quarter from the same time line. :icon_scratch:

The beach I find to be a lot more work, it seems my MD goes off way to often with false reads. Plus I can't use the pro-pointer in wet sand cuz it goes off.

Any new advise? What do you guys prefer to MD at? Beach? parks? old houses? schools?

is it illegal to MD in public school property?

Upvote 0

Left4Dead

Greenie
Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Ace 250
Re: My First Month Of MD'ing......and boy does this take some patience

The pro pointer in wet sand. You can retune or detune it like you can with you 350, when in pinpoint mode.

Just take the pro pointer and stick it in the wet sand then turn it on. Make sure their is no metal where you do this, that should allow you to use it just fine.

You really have to get off the beaten path to get good finds somtimes because remember metal detectors have been around for like 40 years.

When I have little time I hunt tot lots, when I have more i try to get on private property. That's where your going to find goodies.

Good luck

Mike

gulfdaddy

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2011
tx
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Enki, I feel your pain brother. I just got my first this week, an AT PRo, and it is a big learning curve. I live in East Texas and we are having a drought which makes the ground as hard as stone. Digging is tough! I started in my own yard then moved to the neighborhood tot lot and then on to what I call "old ground" with a history. Each time I get better at weeding out the junk but these areas a loaded with it. I am trying to aquire some skill before I start asking for permission to work private areas. Today I went to an OLD small hospital that has been closed fifty years or more. I tried working the area between the building and the curb and along the sidewalk. The place although boarded up has had a new roof installed and the ground is full of old tin disks used with roofing nails. What a pain!
Good things will come to both of use with practice and study. Good luck, Gary

Parisdakarbmw

Sep 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

is it illegal to MD in public school property?
[/quote]

You are going to where most people hang out, and that's a good start. If you want to find the older things, you should get on google, and read about the older parts of your area. Find where old places were, and then use google earth to scout it out.

I am a police officer, and I'm currently assigned to a middle school. First rule at a school is never go there during school hours. (post 9-11 type scenarios) Most communities allow the citizens to use the fields, and playgrounds after school, and weekends. I wouldn't have an issue if I drove by and saw you MDing as long as you were atleast 50 feet from the structure. You are getting into tricky teritory at that point, but the fields, bleachers, and playgrounds are cool. Next issue at a school is the landscaping. Most schools paid a decent amount to have the fields sodded, and cut. Good thing is that most schools are less than 50 years old so you shouldn't be doing much with anything other than a MD, and ice pick. Taking plugs out of a sodded lawn would tick most people off.

My method is to drive around, and look for freshly cleared property, or a little known historical place. Get on the county tax assessors website, and find the owner of the property, and mailing address. Break open the piggy bank, and purchase large & small envelopes, plus a book of stamps. Type nice letters to the property owner asking for permission to MD ONLY! Explain that you don't hunt, fish, or leave a mess, and offer to pick up trash if you see it. You might wait a week or two, but if you get permission sent back in a self addressed envelope, it is well worth the effort.

Last is to be thankful nomatter how small the find. Too many people are kicked up in the hospital with horrible issues, and just being able to enjoy the hobby is just fine. Plus the quarter from 1990 is a future MD dream.........You just found it a few centuries early...

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Public schools are public property most places you wont have any trouble but you should always check first. Contact the school board or parks department they should ba able to help. Stay away while schools in session and away from all buildings my town specfies how far, yours might too. Try searching schools in summer. Good luck HH. Don

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As far as schools go, I usually hunt there if not fenced, and of course not when school is in session, or when there are students there, usually after school hours and weekends. I think its sensible to keep away from the buildings, since from an outsiders view, you could be up to anything. There are other places to detect, other than a manicured lawn.

I like the tot lots, since they are reseeded every day, and its easy to dig, and easy to just kick the sand back in the whole. Those are best hit in the early morning, or wet foggy or rainy days. Sometimes have been there when there are a whole gang of kids, and they are usually in the way, or asking a hundred questions, so I try to avoid those times. Actually I think the tot lots and beach are the best place to learn your machine. If your at a place with hard ground, and you start to dig bottle caps, its easy to get disappointed and lazy, and not dig all the signals, so you will never learn what each signal means. It all takes time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread