What's new

My first piece of pottery?

mission

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2013
Messages
61
Reaction score
50
Golden Thread
0
Location
iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KIMG0246.webpKIMG0248.webp
 
Upvote 0
it looks kind of like a rodents tooth to me
 
Definitely not a tooth,size of a coffee cup handlehandle. Round with a flat top and bottom like it was a rim, broken and grainy on both ends
 
It looks like a rib bone to me... Take a look at the ends - if it looks like lots of small holes, it's bone and that's the marrow area. Could be fossilized - I have some deer antler bases that are fossilized and are about the same color and totally mineralized
 
It does look like a crude handle to me, I don't think it is a tooth or a bone just from what I see. JMO cool find:thumbsup:
 
more pictures and close ups would help too
 
Some more photos would definitely help from these it looks like a piece of stoneware to me with a little bit of salt glaze left not earthenware I would expect from Native American pottery
 
Something more like this maybe

b3125aed0c8165d5dbd78d913836dbe8.webp
 
About positive it's not bone or tooth, will have to get some better pics or get it in someone's hands with experience in pottery. It is clay and shaped by hand I'm pretty sure, just don't know how old it may bebe.
 
What kind of context was it found in? What other items have you found in the same area? Is there any other info that could narrow down the possibilities or at least make more probabilities in one direction or another?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom