What's new

My First post, Just did my first halves ever

halfhunt

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
This is my first post and I am kinda new coin roll hunting. I did it alot with pennies, and nickels when I was younger but not in large quantities. Well last night my wife and I went through about $150 in quarters and found nothing. Well today we set out to try and get some halves. The first bank we went to was really friendly and guessed that I was a collector. They only had $150 so I bought them all. My wife went through them while we drove to the next bank and only found one silver a 1967. We probably went to about 15 banks today, some were very rude and wouldn't let us have anything or only 5.00 and we didn't accomplish anything with those. I had a few more around 80.00 or more but one bank was really friendly and claimed to only have the one 500.00 bag of halves so I bought them all. We found a 1968 and a 1969 in there. The last bank had quite a few but we only had 140.00 left to spend on them so we got that many and they didn't turn up any. We spent about 1000.00 on halves today and ended up with 3 real nice ones, nothing great but still exciting when you find them. My question is what other key date kennedys are worth keeping, how can you tell if they are proofs? Also whats my best bet on cashing in these coins? I have about $1200 altogether and its in a metal bin. I weighed it for the heck of it and it weighs almost 70 pds! Thanks, and look forward to any help. If we can cash these in the morning we will get as many as possible before the banks closed. Most of the banks we hit today were really small banks in small towns (was hoping to find old ones that haven't been picked up) but that plan didn't work so good so far. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks, that has alot of useful information! Also I don't remember if I mentioned it or not but I found a bicentenial that is all copper and doesn't apper that it is wore down to the copper. It was the only one like it that I found in all of the coins. I have an account with a bank that has banks in several different towns so I might try it at one of those that I don't usually go to further away.
 
Welcome back to a majorly fun hobby and a friendly board. Glad you made your first experience hunting halves a success!
 
I don't know anything about an all copper Bi (never know what you may have) but I felt fortunate on my first box when I found a silver clad Becentennial but I guess that was beginners luck LOL. They say its a roller coaster for most of us, up-down,up-down. I don't know I just did my second box (skunk) so up-down is applying for me. HH Mark
 
I am wondering if the all copper bicentenial that I found could have just been in the ground for awhile and someone found it and cashed it in? Who knows. Well I will try to get rid of these in the morning hopefully and find some more before banks close. I have strongly been considering going after nickels and dimes but I keep hoping to find a ben franklin or anything that is 90%
 
Congrats.

Be careful of the siern song of the halves. It can take over your life. ;)

Welcome abroad.

HH.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom