My first season of Yardsales!

jo9012

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New member here, even newer to yard sales. I have bought quite a bit and i'm unsure of some of what I have and if it is of any value. This is my first year of doing this so go easy on me! Any general info would be great, even better if you can point me in the direction of some good books on jewelry and glassware. I'm going to try and post pictures of the stuff I am unsure of. Any website or books with some good info would be great to start somewhere! The majority is jewelry, I have no idea who the thing is in the first picture. I also like buying board games, video games, books, coins, and bottles if I ever run into any of the last two. Also, the rings + the butterfly is silver except the 4th ring on the right, it is gf. I do have the butterfly up on ebay, but the price is just something i pulled from the air.

Attachments

• IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1442.JPG
    IMG_1442.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1443.JPG
    IMG_1443.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1444.JPG
    IMG_1444.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1446.JPG
    IMG_1446.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of it looks pretty good. I have no idea what the first picture is either. What did you list the butterfly as? It looks like Sterling and enamel with Jade. I tried finding it on eBay but had no luck. I guess so if your member don't post your actual link on here though but I think you can post the title of it and I can track it down from there.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi in your set of rings the first two are sterling probably with glass stones. The third one is Zuni Indian tribe that one is red coral, blue turquoise, black onyx and Opal. Hopefully it signed as well which will make it more valuable. The gold colored ring if it's real gold will be marked 14 K or 10K. Or possibly some numbers inside of it for a mark. There's a good possibility it's also gold filled or gold plated but the numbers inside of it will tell you what you have.

I'm going to forget what else you had in your pictures. The one silver colored bangle looks like it could possibly be Sterling if it was kept overtime inside of a bag to keep it from tarnishing. That should have a mark on the inside of it being 925 or Sterling. And any other marks are helpful as well. As far as the other stuff nothing really stuck out to me as far as value but I will have to take another look. I believe the one bracelet that had the green beads on it could possibly be Jade. Let me get another look at your photos before I comment anymore.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the party. I don't know much about what you have but that looks like a great start.

OP
OP
J

jo9012

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for excluding some key info on the pieces... The butterfly I have up as Vintage marked "Silver" Enameled Filigree Butterfly Pin Brooch, I had it looked at by two different jewelers, they both said it was enameled, it is silver and the mark only says "SILVER", one jeweler said the white loop was possibly jade while the other assured me it was plastic and that no one would pay much for the brooch because it is outdated. I looked up enamel pin and found Filigree defines the ornamental wire style. I had the rings with me too, The first two are silver with a mark the one on the end is marked 18k H.G.E. so plated...the purple one is apparently a low grade is amethyst. I was also told the tiny blue/green stone was semi precious but I can't remember its name. I believe the bangle was really light in weigh and was gold tone. I was most curious about the big oval ring. It is not marked for its purity, but it does say (Zuni) on the back of the oval. It is also signed and dated. The name is also in cursive (Emilio) dated 08 which i have no idea if thats 2008 or 1908. Im wondering if there is a good way to ID jade? Thanks for the replies so far, I really appreciate them!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess it is Jade. Because one it's old and 2 if you clink it on your teeth it's probably going to feel more like a stone versus plastic. Good hall for the first time out. I would say a lot of the other stuff is kind of common. Myself I've never sold anything like that it's for a sealer stuff goes I normally thrown in a box and sell it by the pound when it gets up to like 12-15 lbs.

If you come across jewelry that is signed generally has a better value to it. I'm just not familiar with the other stuff other than the silver. But the Zuni ring I will see if I can find something similar to it. EBay completed listings is usually a good way to go.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The butterfly brooch could be an eye glasses keeper. Hang the glasses on there when not needed so you don't lose them.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The Butterfly brooch looks Art Deco to me. Maybe move it into that category? I think your price is reasonable.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
If the Zuni ring does not have a hallmark it is known as Old Pawn. Old pawn represents the time when native american jewelers sold out of their cars along side the roads. The first Jobbers like Ed Burton organized the sales and introduced the concept of hallmarks to track the jewelry they were selling. Since that time most native american jewelry is hallmarked. Not all is properly registered or tracked though so you can see a lot of hallmarks no one can identify. If you do manage to identify a rare hallmark please pass it on. Native American jewelers wrote stories into the jewelry. The more intricate and large, the more epic the tale.Your looks like it must have been quite a story.

Is the belt buckle marked sterling/925, coin/800/900, or is it Nevada silver (or similar, not really silver)?

In jewelry, look for the kp mark. Most people think this means plate. It actually means plumb or perfect.

Can we see more pictures of the unidentified item in the first picture.

And finally, you did good.

OP
OP
J

jo9012

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Butterfly brooch looks Art Deco to me. Maybe move it into that category? I think your price is reasonable.

Ill try that if it does not sell, i didn't even notice i had it in the retro/vintage category. Thanks!

OP
OP
J

jo9012

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some great info! I don't think I mentioned I am a college student, So if the opportunity to sell comes along at a good price, I won't pass it up... But I do like the craftsmanship and If I can manage to keep it, I would definitely do that! I didn't think twice about the buckle being silver as it is not marked. I did the magnet test after I bought it, but i tried it again and the magnet only sticks to the latch and horns in the front (which has a screw)... so im not sure.
I'm very curious as to what the unidentified piece is
pics:
IMG_1452.JPG IMG_1453.JPG IMG_1454.JPG

OP
OP
J

jo9012

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you get a picture with a coin or something to show about what the size is?

It is a bit over an 1 inch for the base width and about 2in from the rounded end to the other edge. I was thinking it was a pendant with the loop but that is just a shot in the dark.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Your whatsit looks india/pakistani influence. Probably spiritual in nature like a totem or spirit ward. I'm leaning toward more likely india as it would be seen as sacriligeous in most muslim countries if it were spiritual. Is it all of one composition with a coating over it to make the design or is it two materials? Wear on the back makes me think the base material is white with a patern over it of the darker material.

OP
OP
J

jo9012

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesnt look like the black part is metal, it seems like bone or wood. It also appears to be two pieces like the swirl was inlayed but im not certain. Thanks for the reply!

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ibthink the Butterfly is export silver, chinese, 50s-70s. Sometimes you can get 100.00 or more for them. It used to be that the piece had to be from 20s or earlier to be "export silver" buy nowadays people call it all export silver. The filigree, enamel, and "SILVER" are the giveaways. Black swirl thing i think is s south east asian, contemporary. The good ones are made of a slice of she'll inlaid in wood and bring 20.00 with a chain. A lot of them are resin copies though. Zuni ring should get you 30-50.

OP
OP
J

jo9012

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ibthink the Butterfly is export silver, chinese, 50s-70s. Sometimes you can get 100.00 or more for them. It used to be that the piece had to be from 20s or earlier to be "export silver" buy nowadays people call it all export silver. The filigree, enamel, and "SILVER" are the giveaways. Black swirl thing i think is s south east asian, contemporary. The good ones are made of a slice of she'll inlaid in wood and bring 20.00 with a chain. A lot of them are resin copies though. Zuni ring should get you 30-50.

OK thanks! I am still wondering if the date on the ring is in fact 1908? I don't see any rings with a date on ebay or other websites. Also I'm pretty sure the swirl thing is wood like you said, and the white part is inlaid, i can feel the edges between the two materials. what would I call this if i wanted to do some more research?

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely 2008 on the ring. Gibson synthetic opals.

Pendant search - bali silver wood inlaid pendant.

OP
OP
J

jo9012

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely 2008 on the ring. Gibson synthetic opals.

Pendant search - bali silver wood inlaid pendant.
thanks! would the circular piece on the butterfly be jade or something else... how can i tell?(i clinked it on my teeth and it was definitely not plastic) Any recommendations on helpful books or websites?

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jade let's light through it. Some impurities can be seen (not always though). It looks like Jade. Many websites on how to tell if Jade is real

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread