My first Shield nickel - two sides to this story

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
… the reverse side is awesome, the obverse side, which has the date, is wiped. Still, my first Shield nickel, so I am pretty happy. It was about 10 feet from a cellar hole and came out looking good, as you can see in the photo. Also found a small, thin knee buckle at another site nearby. It is a little bent, but seems complete. It is an anchor chape style, so it is maybe 1660s to 1720s. Good luck and happy hunting!
IMG_5405.jpeg
IMG_5406.jpeg IMG_5397.jpeg
IMG_5401.jpeg

Upvote 30

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds lenmac65! It never fails that the crudded up side of the coin is always the one with the date....always. I have only ever found a few shield nickels...They are mostly in awful condition. Yours looks pretty great. The buckle is fantastic. I would very much agree with your age estimate. Nice work!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratz on your 1st shield nick!! Always nice to scratch one off the list. Surprised it being the first one you've found being from Mass and all the early history there. Myself I'm really digging the buckle!! Would be killer to find something like that here in Indiana.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go fellow Mass hunter for knocking that one off the bucket list- don't know if I've ever seen a better looking reverse on a found shield nickel!

Jason-ks

May 2, 2012
N.E. Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, eTrac, Explorer XS, Minelab ProFind 25, NEL Tornado Coil, NEL Snake Coil.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome day out detecting and huge congrats on your first shield nickel! I'm pretty certain that your location has a few more coins and relics to give up. Head back soon✌️

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds lenmac65! It never fails that the crudded up side of the coin is always the one with the date....always. I have only ever found a few shield nickels...They are mostly in awful condition. Yours looks pretty great. The buckle is fantastic. I would very much agree with your age estimate. Nice work!
Thanks Silvermonkey. It certainly does seem that way with the date side of coins -very frustrating. Only my first Shield Nickel in 5 years, but I am doing better with buckles. This is my third intact buckle this year, all older varieties too. Good luck out there and I look forward to your next post.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratz on your 1st shield nick!! Always nice to scratch one off the list. Surprised it being the first one you've found being from Mass and all the early history there. Myself I'm really digging the buckle!! Would be killer to find something like that here in Indiana.
Thanks! I don’t know why it took me five years to find one, as I have searched a lot of old dirt and they made millions of them, but better late than never. Good luck on the buckle hunt; one must be out there somewhere.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome day out detecting and huge congrats on your first shield nickel! I'm pretty certain that your location has a few more coins and relics to give up. Head back soon✌️
Thanks! I bet there are more finds at this spot, but it will be tough. This is the most overgrown spot I have ever detected, and the thorns are brutal.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1866-1883…. I’d take any of those years. Great buckle too. Congrats 🎈
Thanks! This coin has no rays, which narrows it down a bit more. Would like to have a date, but I won’t be greedy. 😁

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the tin content in the alloy mixture turns to rust and always takes it's toll on nickels. I'd be willing to bet that yours laid in the ground with the shield side facing up where it held ground moisture longer than the side facing down which would see the moisture drain away. Many years of that action caused severe pitting. Regardless, it's cool find. I've only found one shield nickel in my life and it was worn almost completely slick on both sides.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your shield nickle! At least it has one Great side! The only one I found was bad on both sides!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
… the reverse side is awesome, the obverse side, which has the date, is wiped. Still, my first Shield nickel, so I am pretty happy. It was about 10 feet from a cellar hole and came out looking good, as you can see in the photo. Also found a small, thin knee buckle at another site nearby. It is a little bent, but seems complete. It is an anchor chape style, so it is maybe 1660s to 1720s. Good luck and happy hunting!
View attachment 2091572 View attachment 2091573 View attachment 2091574 View attachment 2091575
Very Cool!!! Excellent Shape!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread