WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
My dad handed me this point and my first thought was this was a fake. I asked him where he found it and he pointed to a drawer. Eh he’s 92. Lol. “But where did it come from?” He said probably the driveway because they found a lot before it was blacktopped.
Well it looks like it was made out of glass. The one side is flat. There’s no sharpness to it anywhere. I’m thought maybe a souvenir? Maybe used to be a necklace? 🤷‍♀️
Then I start looking into it and find out obsidian is volcanic glass and points were made. Well no volcano in Ohio, so I don’t think it was found in the driveway. We did go on vacation when I was 15 and toured mount st Helen.
What do you guys think?

IMG_4400.jpeg

IMG_4401.jpeg

Upvote 6
Obsidian (volcanic glass) is absolutely a thing and points were made from it.

I'm no expert but at first glance yours looks like a modern replica. I say that because it doesn't show much work on the cutting surfaces and it's also looks pretty thick. A lot of the modern ones I've seen are quite thick, almost "round" in appearance, and that's kinda how that second shot looks. It's a tad out of focus though, so I might be mistaken.

Obsidian (volcanic glass) is absolutely a thing and points were made from it.

I'm no expert but at first glance yours looks like a modern replica. I say that because it doesn't show much work on the cutting surfaces and it's also looks pretty thick. A lot of the modern ones I've seen are quite thick, almost "round" in appearance, and that's kinda how that second shot looks. It's a tad out of focus though, so I might be mistaken.
Ok, so “modern replica” is what I mean when I say fake. I do not know all the terminology. lol. You’re right, there’s not much working to it. I’m not sure if these pics are any better or not. I just have my cell .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Where in Ohio are you? I've done very well walking tilled fields here in Stark, Tuscarawas, Coshocton and Holmes...Here's just one of my frames.View attachment 2114364
Pretty much due west of you. Those are nice. I have been picking my own farm for about 15 years.

Yeah that's a modern repro you can buy in a tourist shop. Those old guys did a lot finer work. There was an extensive trade network long ago, and we would find obsidian and turquoise in SWOK. That probably came from New Mexico.

Don't throw it away just yet! Get a pro to look at it first. Hixton (WI) silicified sandstone points and knives have been found as far away as KY..... points verified to be thousands of years old. A pic here on Tnet is not a definitive proof. ╦╦ç

Don't throw it away just yet! Get a pro to look at it first. Hixton (WI) silicified sandstone points and knives have been found as far away as KY..... points verified to be thousands of years old. A pic here on Tnet is not a definitive proof. ╦╦ç
Oh don’t worry about me throwing it away. My dad gave it to me. I am very sentimental. 🥰

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back