My first whatzit

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
This is the first thing other than straight trash I have found. Probably because I am just starting to get a hang of the researching end of the hobby. Anyhow, my wife and I found what we believe to be a trench near the james river here in Richmond, Va. Although we didn't get to detect the whole thing, we did find two of these at the base of the "trench" about halfway through. They are definitely iron, and were about 5-6 inches down. They were right next to one another so we were thinking it was something that may have been changed in pairs. Something on horses? We really have no idea. Dispite the rust I am fairly certain after a little cleaning that they do not say anything on them or have any markings to tell me anything. Any help is much appreciated. -Jeff

Attachments

• item01.jpg
    item01.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 792
  • item01-2.jpg
    item01-2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 790

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
That is a steel animal trap ;) Squeeze the long u shaped piece on the side to allow the jaws to be opened and set the trip. When an animal steps in the center ...Whamo.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
darn, guess it's junk then. might be cool to try to clean up. A nice mantle piece maybe. Thanks for the help! still better then trash!

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You beat me to it, MM. ;D

;) RR

Upvote 0

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I think theman is correct, clean it up. In my book that IS NOT in the junk category, great find with possible history. Soak it in some oil and clean it, it's a cool find!

kenb

Upvote 0
OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
looked like a trench to me. it was sort of a ditch, maybe..between 50 and 100 yds long. about 3ft high on the back side and 5ft high on the front facing the river. I know union ships came up the river but most if not all were shot down by cannons coming around a bend a little further east of where I was. But I would think some defenses would have been set up down the river. It wasn't carved by water I don't think, no water in there now, grass was on the bottom so not too much water would have been there any time recently. And it ended before it reached the river, water would have had to dump out somewhere, right? I don't know for sure it was a trench, maybe just wishful thinking. But at least a huge ditch.

Soak in oil how long? I am new to this. Day or so?

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Here is a trap I found... it is iron and anywhere from 30 to 130 years old. Prolly a muskrat trap judging on where I found it. It's a different type of trap from yours, but it was cool finding all four parts in the same hole in the rocks. I'm pretty sure it's way to fragile to clean! Found it in river rock.

Just sharing the pics in case it helps anyone ID stuff laying around the junk box.

Attachments

• Trap Parts.JPG
    Trap Parts.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 734
Upvote 0
OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
nice find! maybe I can date mine. I think I can clean it a little, than maybe a nice conversation piece. I can see how well it worked, my cat wants to lay all over it! :) not the brightest bulb...

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hi Captain Jack, what you have is a Double Long Spring Victor leg hold trap. It might be a No. 3.
e7_1.JPG

Upvote 0

still looking

Aug 12, 2006
Beavers and muskrats make trenches or waterways from a main pond to allow them to swim closer to the trees and then float them to the pond. These traps may have ben set long ago and just left there.

Upvote 0
B

BIG61AL

It's just a very cruel instrument designed to kill small animals by starvation or force them to chew off their own limbs to bleed to death. A very low point in man's accomplishments. Every one of them should be destroyed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
captain Jack

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ant said:
Hi Captain Jack, what you have is a Double Long Spring Victor leg hold trap. It might be a No. 3.

wow, thanks Ant. I can see this site is going to be of endless help in my searches. Thanks to everyone!

Upvote 0

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
BIG61AL said:
It's just a very cruel instrument designed to kill small animals by starvation or force them to chew off their own limbs to bleed to death. A very low point in man's accomplishments. Every one of them should be destroyed.

The traps are designed to hold animals until the trapper can return to collect them. Most laws require that the traps are checked at least once per day and sometimes twice. If an animal has time to starve or chew it's own leg off, it would be the trappers fault not the traps. Put the blame where it is due.

Upvote 0

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
very nice find and it is not junk.... not worth much but definately not junk...... if it was me i would take sand paper and clean it up, spray paint it black and hang it up on the wall or on the barn.... things like that look pretty good hung up where people can see them

Marty

Upvote 0

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG61AL said:

I woke next to gal and chewed my own arm off keep from wakin' 'er up. Man, I would love to have been caught in that trap instead....

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
BIG61AL said:

It is a gopher trap. Designed to kill small rhodents. Animals. Not humans, rats. I have a mayonnaise jar filled with gopher feet I need to cash in. $1.00 per pair. Good summer hobby. All vermin should be killed as cruelly as possible.

John

Upvote 0

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
captain jack, soak it for a week and hit it with a wire brush, you decide if it needs more soaking by out come. You may need to do it a couple times to remove excess rust. When it looks good or loosens up, clean off oil, paint and display! Good luck.

kenb

Upvote 0

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
You're right on Blur, Captains traps look like No.1 Victors and being found 3 to 4 inches under ground sure looks like a couple of gopher traps got lost. I've trapped a bunch of them too for the bounty, but in the late 40's it was 10 cents and of course you need both fronts to bring to the Township clerk for pay. Fix em' up and hang em' on the wall, Captain they'll bring back fine memories to some ex-farm boys. Now you have a thatzit.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread