My HUGE Goodwill.com deal. . . oh, yeah!

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a tennis player and a squash player. I used to scout out goodwill.com for tennis racquets. Not because I wanted to re-sell them, but because I'd like to own some of the earlier graphite frames, some classic graphite.

Listed at goodwill.com was a bunch of squash racquets, protective glasses, squash balls, and a racquet backpack. They were listed as tennis racquets.

I paid something like $70 for the schmeer/

NEXT, I sold one of the squash racquets for $100. I gave one to my son. Kept two Bancrofts for myself, and had a third as a spare for a friend. The Dunlop backpack racquet bag I use all the time to go to the courts.

All told, about $900 of value. . . plus I made $30 by selling one of the frames.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you sell them on ebay?

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Great deal! My local GW online sucked for years with only junk listed and high shipping prices or a fee to pick it up. Glad you found a rare bargain!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet, congrats! :occasion14:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds you don’t see that stuff around much. I actually went to high school with the squash national champion/player back in the early 80s.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
My dad, a tennis player, had been buying old rackets he likes from ebay & craigslist until I told him I always saw rackets at goodwill. Guess what one of his new hobbies is? haha

Johnny Cache

Greenie
Oct 18, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker w/ BloodHound Antenna
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were fortunate in your find - most likely because most folks (like me) wouldn't know a Bancroft tennis racquet from a King Feng Fu one. I likewise got a great deal one day at the Goodwill store in Kokomo, Indiana on an electric skillet. I saw it on a shelf from across the store and went to have a closer look. It was caked in black, burnt-on grease and looked rather nasty. I took it down to verify the brand name and my wife told me, "You're not bringing THAT FILTHY THING into my house!

I bought it for $3.50 and took it home with pride.

At home, I removed the legs and sprayed it down with oven cleaner and scraped it with a putty knife, finishing up with some steel wool. It looked almost new after some scrub work. Then I called the toll free number for "Saladmaster" and asked if I could buy a lid and an electric control unit for my skillet. The lady there asked me for the serial number from the bottom of my skillet and then told me that she'd have the new lid sent out to me to my address - at NO CHARGE! The skillet has a lifetime warranty that's good forever!

iu
iu

When my new lid and electric control unit arrived, it was accompanied by a sales brochure. That electric skillet is now selling for over $300.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions