gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So if you know me in person, you'll quickly learn that I like to talk quite a bit. Fortunately, this is the internet, so feel free to skip over the story and get straight to the pics if you want. For the adventurous ones, read on...

So I had several hours to hunt today, and started off by calling a friend of mine who happens to own some property next to a 1790 house in the area. The house itself is still there, but the current residents don't want MD'ers, so this is as close as I can get. She gave me the go, so off I went to the stubble of a corn field and some woods. My hopes weren't high, but my results were even lower than that - not many signals, and only soda cans and square nails. I stayed there probably longer than I should, but decided to stop at another site on the way home.

The second site was an abandoned cabin in the woods. I gave up on this site in the fall for two reasons - 1) the weeds were CRAZY back then, and 2) my garrett didn't handle the plethora of JUNK very well at all. The combo of the DFX and the lower weeds made for a much more enjoyable experience.

Sadly, only 1 coin here, a 58 wheatie. I know there's more under the junk, but there's a lot of junk there. The other wheat (41) as well as the two other Foster's Cafe token (total 8 now) came from my property a few days ago.

Other notable finds - mason jar lid after mason jar lid, my first marble, silver plated spoon, shotshell (before you ask, turtlefoot, sears sportload ). My favorite would have to be the half a pocketwatch, with some of the gears still in it.

Last but not least, I found one of those two matching pieces with the holes just a few days ago on my farm. I tossed it in the pile to ID later, but happened across another detectorist's post which ID'ed it as part of a Model T coil. Sure enough if I didn't find another one at the cabin today! Are they common to have been lost, or is it just coincidence?

Anyways, for those of you who actually read all that, thanks, and I hope you enjoyed it!
On to the pics...

Attachments

• stuff.JPG
    stuff.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 309
  • closeup stuff.JPG
    closeup stuff.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 295
  • spoon.JPG
    spoon.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 311
  • watch.JPG
    watch.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 302
Upvote 0
Good assortment of finds!

Hey, those are some great looking finds there gtoast99! :icon_thumright:
I love the look of this old tea spoon! :o
The detail on the handle is amazing! :o

Would you ever consider getting it restored? :icon_scratch:
I know Heavymetalnut in CT knows an affordable restoration guy that he used.

Dave

Attachments

• Spoon.JPG
    Spoon.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 262
  • Spoon Handle.JPG
    Spoon Handle.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 251
Nice finds :thumbsup:
Very cool spoon!
similar design on these :hello:

Attachments

• SHEFF FORKS 001.jpg
    SHEFF FORKS 001.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 240
  • SHEFF FORKS 001.jpg
    SHEFF FORKS 001.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 239
Thanks ya'll! If the spoon were silver, I'd have it restored in a heartbeat. A silver spoon is way up there on my dream find list. But I agree, it is a really neat design :)

One other quick note about that Model T part I found at the farm -
The man who owned my house passed away in 1929, and left the property to his adopted son in payment of a shared debt for the purchase of an automobile. Of course we'll never know, but I like to think this was part of it :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back