My massive order ... first update

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Okay, so all my coins were supposed to be in today. 48 banks, each with only 2 boxes of halves in their order. But a total of 96 boxes. $48,000 worth of halves. One time, big order, see if I can get to a sweet spot on the mythical pallet where I hadn't been before. :-)

Some came in early, and I picked those up on Wednesday. Been working those since then, and able to use some of that returns today to buy the rest. Didn't need to pull out as much as I thought from the bank that way. And today - some did NOT come in. SOme banks forgot to order (Don't you hate that?) and three banks even ordered me ONE box each, all three saying "we figured you didn't realize how MANY were in a box, and you surely didn't want two boxes. After all, they are not $100 per box, but FIVE HUNDRED. So we ordered you one. Do you want the whole thing?"

I ended up with $39,500 in halves. 79 boxes. Between Wednesday and today.

I won't finish working them until probably mid next week. It will take a while to go through all these boxes. And I date search every box, and do NOT edge search. I am looking for 1987's, proofs, and also 2 of the 2011 and 2 of the 2012 for my books. ALready found both the 2011's I needed (Rileyboy, no need to send 2011's any more. I found them. thanks though.)

So far, since Wedensday and a lot of work today, I have gone through $14,000 of halves. Date searching as I said. I have found ...

1973S Proof
1993S Proof
1976S Proof
1999S Proof
and
1 - 40% 1967.

That's 28 boxes down, and 51 to go. OUt of the first 28 boxes, ONE silver. My goal of 20 silvers for the experiement is in jeopardy! ONE silver. Wow. Worse than I even thought (So far. Hope springs eternal, in spite of reality, HA!)

I shall work the other 51 boxes this weekend, and Monday and Tuesday and hope to have final numbers for you mid week. Oh, and I have found some of my old marked coins. A few from September 2009 and a few from October and November 2010. Nothing from 2008 and nothing from all the coins I searched in 2011. Just a few marked coins in total. And the marks were clear, so it's not like the other marks were wiped off. I mark them with specific information that allows me to know the month and year I held them, and which bank I dropped them at. I mark in two recesses, so they don't rub off when they are in circulation. I Only mark the 1979, 1989 and 1999 coins, because there is no reason to mark all coins or a nondicriminate sampling of coins. This way I know from the new 1979, 1989 and 1999 coins I get how i am doing versus my marks. NOt many of my coins so far. We'll see if I get more. I've also found a LOT of 2005, 2009, 2010 and 2007 NIFC coins, along with a smattering of 2004, 2010 and 2011. A few of the other NIFC dates, but not many. No 1987s yet, which surprises me, since I am date searching.

That's my update so far. Now I'm going to search for a few hours tonight, so I can get to maybe $20,000 searched by time I go to bed.

I hope I DOUBLE my finds in silver while doing it. gee, that would be a whole ... TWO.

Last year my average was one silver per 8.3 boxes. that's why I quit and went to pennies and nickels. This time I have 79 boxes and will see how it ends. I'm sure no matter what I'll be back to pennies and nickels after this, but I want to at least try this for this one time, and see if I can get any silver added to my pile.

Good news. I also found one silver in the loose trays while picking up the boxes. I won't count that towards my totals for these "boxes", as loose is what I do ALL the time anyway, but it helps the total of all CRH for me.

One silver. 28 boxes. More to follow. :-)

John

Upvote 0

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so all my coins were supposed to be in today. 48 banks, each with only 2 boxes of halves in their order. But a total of 96 boxes. $48,000 worth of halves. One time, big order, see if I can get to a sweet spot on the mythical pallet where I hadn't been before. :-)

Some came in early, and I picked those up on Wednesday. Been working those since then, and able to use some of that returns today to buy the rest. Didn't need to pull out as much as I thought from the bank that way. And today - some did NOT come in. SOme banks forgot to order (Don't you hate that?) and three banks even ordered me ONE box each, all three saying "we figured you didn't realize how MANY were in a box, and yo
u surely didn't want two boxes. After all, they are not $100 per box, but FIVE HUNDRED. So we ordered you one. Do you want the whole thing?"

I ended up with $39,500 in halves. 79 boxes. Between Wednesday and today.

I won't finish working them until probably mid next week. It will take a while to go through all these boxes. And I date search every box, and do NOT edge search. I am looking for 1987's, proofs, and also 2 of the 2011 and 2 of the 2012 for my books. ALready found both the 2011's I needed (Rileyboy, no need to send 2011's any more. I found them. thanks though.)

So far, since Wedensday and a lot of work today, I have gone through $14,000 of halves. Date searching as I said. I have found ...

1973S Proof
1993S Proof
1976S Proof
1999S Proof
and
1 - 40% 1967.

That's 28 boxes down, and 51 to go. OUt of the first 28 boxes, ONE silver. My goal of 20 silvers for the experiement is in jeopardy! ONE silver. Wow. Worse than I even thought (So far. Hope springs eternal, in spite of reality, HA!)

I shall work the other 51 boxes this weekend, and Monday and Tuesday and hope to have final numbers for you mid week. Oh, and I have found some of my old marked coins. A few from September 2009 and a few from October and November 2010. Nothing from 2008 and nothing from all the coins I searched in 2011. Just a few marked coins in total. And the marks were clear, so it's not like the other marks were wiped off. I mark them with specific information that allows me to know the month and year I held them, and which bank I dropped them at. I mark in two recesses, so they don't rub off when they are in circulation. I Only mark the 1979, 1989 and 1999 coins, because there is no reason to mark all coins or a nondicriminate sampling of coins. This way I know from the new 1979, 1989 and 1999 coins I get how i am doing versus my marks. NOt many of my coins so far. We'll see if I get more. I've also found a LOT of 2005, 2009, 2010 and 2007 NIFC coins, along with a smattering of 2004, 2010 and 2011. A few of the other NIFC dates, but not many. No 1987s yet, which surprises me, since I am date searching.

That's my update so far. Now I'm going to search for a few hours tonight, so I can get to maybe $20,000 searched by time I go to bed.

I hope I DOUBLE my finds in silver while doing it. gee, that would be a whole ... TWO.

Last year my average was one silver per 8.3 boxes. that's why I quit and went to pennies and nickels. This time I have 79 boxes and will see how it ends. I'm sure no matter what I'll be back to pennies and nickels after this, but I want to at least try this for this one time, and see if I can get any silver added to my pile.

Good news. I also found one silver in the loose trays while picking up the boxes. I won't count that towards my totals for these "boxes", as loose is what I do ALL the time anyway, but it helps the total of all CRH for me.

One silver. 28 boxes. More to follow. :-)

John

no need to date check for 87s. I found all mine by edge check. They are thicker, shinner, standing outish.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck, Hoss!
Mintage numbers on the 87's are superlow.
Approx--5.5 million total in 87 compared to 25-28 million year previous and following year. They are out there tho! Keep diggin.

Last edited:

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
Great beard of Zeus! You weren't joking about a massive order. I picked up nine boxes of dimes yesterday and thought my order was big.

Good luck - I hope to read of some amazing finds!

HH,
cuttybce

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions