My mom saved coins and bills for me but now what?

warhawk77

Greenie
Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom pasted away a few years ago and thought it was time to find the value of some of the stuff she stocked up on. She saved coin sets from 1973 up to 1991. Some years I don't have any so guessing those didn't get bought because money was tight.

Some of the coin sets have red border while others have blue any diff? And looks like some envelopes have 2 packs while some have 1. Guessing the sets came with one of each color but that is just a guess. Are any of the years more valuable then others?

For bills I have
1928 silver certificate $1
1957 silver certificate $1 x3
1963 dollar bill x14
1969 dollar bill x8
1969 five dollar bill
1974 dollar bill x2
1976 two dollar bill

Canada
1954 one dollar
1954 two dollar

The bills range for very good shape to okay.

I thought about taking this stuff to a local coin shop but I don't think they will be honest with me if I don't have a clue what I have. As far as I know this stuff does not any value other then to collectors so it would be nice to have this go to a good home. But I need to have a idea of what I am talking about.

Yes for the most part a Dealer will give you
face value.

then turn around and make money off you.

Without actual Pics, all I Can suggest is
search each one seperately on EBay

Check Asking prices
&
Completed listings

on ones that look closest to yours in condition.

See if they are selling & What for,
Or if Not selling see average asking prices
for an Idea of Worth.

Or post pics here & Hopefully We can do it for you.

in all Honesty on the $1 & $2. bills Most will probably come out to
2 maybe 5 times face tops to the right Buyers
unless there is rare or mint condition one(s)

warhawk,

Welcome to Treasure Net !!

Don't sell anything till you know its value.
For example, the 1928 Silver Certificate: There were 12 different varieties of that bill; and (depending on the variety) they have a retail value range of between $32 (in VF-20) to $55,000 (in Unc-63) per the 2008 "Red Book". I suggest you go to your library and do the research. The Official Red Book (A Guide Book of United States Paper Money by Arthur L and Ira S. Friedberg) is one source to review.
Don....

Thanks for the info guys.

Here are some pics

IMAG0915.jpg

IMAG0916.jpg

IMAG0917.jpg

IMAG0918.jpg

IMAG0919.jpg

IMAG0920.jpg

Best shape
IMAG0921.jpg

Worst shape
IMAG0922.jpg

1969 most are E but one is D
IMAG0923.jpg

IMAG0924.jpg

The '28 is common; 2.2B issued. ($32 in VF-20 retail value per the 2008 Red Book)
Yours is the 1928-A series Woods/Mellon--but also what appears to be stained-damaged.
Had it been a 1928-E series 'Star' bill you would have hit the jackpot ($14.5k in VF-20).
Don........

Mackaydon said:
The '28 is common; 2.2B issued. ($32 in VF-20 retail value per the 2008 Red Book)
Yours is the 1928-A series Woods/Mellon--but also what appears to be stained-damaged.
Had it been a 1928-E series 'Star' bill you would have hit the jackpot ($14.5k in VF-20).
Don........

Thank you

It does have a stain on it. While finding a winning lottery ticket in this stuff would be cool I just happy its worth more then face value.

I would find it hard to believe you could find a dealer that would give you more than face value for them, the silver certificates you have shown are in poor, circulated condition, as for the federal reserve notes unless there are errors, not a high demand. Your proof sets are not in demand now either, I was at a coin show a while back and they were going for less than greysheet prices. You should hang on to them for your kids, hopefully prices will pick up. Sorry, This is just my humble observations. GL..........Scott

Dig em into a park, and give some kid MD'er a thrill.

HI Warhawk77; Can I ask you a question??? Then give a "suggestion" please. I can understand your curiousity regarding their values but my question to you is that "Is the value of those items worh more than the "tangible" momento's your Mother left you??? Can you bear with losing "that" connection for the gain of a few bucks?? My suggestion is that if you can live with parting with your Mothers Mementos then go ahead. If not then dear God DON'T Do It.!!! Please take it from my own experience ok. PEACE:RONB

Mint sets are color coded Red for Denver and Blue for Philadelphia. They are nice, but like many things made to be collected they don't gain much collector value.

Remember that most dealers will want to make a healthy profit and will pay substantially less than what they feel they can sell an item for.

2010 Mint Sets, Uncirculated Mint Sets (1959-Date) - Golden Eagle Coins

I wouldn't be too quick to sell. Get a couple quotes/offers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back