Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi everyone home for lunch and i ment to post this story sometime a go.i have live in this street for 8 years and there an old victorian house [1881]next door and near the front door are two sandstone gravestones from the 1850s.the face of the stones has been chiseled off,removing all writting and the person that lives there can only be heard moving around a night.we call him the vampire.i was working near a historic graveyard the other day so i went and had a look at some of the oldest graves and guess what the grave stones where nearly the same as the ones he got.i haven't asked him about them he mit bite me lol anyway he keeps to himself so i,ll leave him alone check out pics

tinpan

Attachments

• GRAVESTONES001.jpg
    GRAVESTONES001.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 549
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pics

Attachments

• GRAVESTONES002.jpg
    GRAVESTONES002.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 556
M

Maverick

Yeah, that's grave robbery for sure. The old Kook might as well be exuming the bodies. What a morbid bastard.

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AHAHAHAHAH IF YOU HAVENOT REALIZED THAT TINPAN IS THE MADEST JUNKYARD DOG AROUND,I DON,T KNOW WHAT TO SAY.NEXT DOOR IS MORE SCARED OF ME THAT I,M OF HIM BUT I WILL HANG THE GARLIC ON THE FENCE TO NIGHT JUST TO BE SAFE AND SHARPEN A COUPLE OF STAKES LOL

TINPAN

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005
That just disgusts me, you should really turn him into the cops.......Whats his address i will do it for you.....

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Tinpan, I know you find it odd and interesting,but this person is being very disrepectulf to the person and families of those headstones. First I thought maybe this elderly man didn't understand what he was doing,and has some sort of illness; but if he chisled the name off of them then it sounds like he knows it's wrong/illegal. :(

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast
you know for just a moment i wanted to metal detect a grave yard, but then i though wait I cant dig here! that would be disrespectful. But dang steeling the marker, i think you get time in hell for that, if not the local jail will kill some time for you/////
I always thought the graveyard was fenced because people were dyeing to get in--- not to keep the stone from getting out

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi everyone i better give all that i know first.the grave stones have been on this site longer that the 8 years i have lived here.the stones would be quite heavy.the house has be there for 125 years and may have had many owners.who put them there i will never know.in the past some did allsorts of strange things like build a tram shed on top of a 1850s chinese grave yard in 1904 and the old show grounds has a grave yard under it.there are numerous other lost grave yards around the area.some locals even got a grave or two in there back yards.this all fact and know one really seems to be worried by this and i have never heard of anyone taking action over this.sometimes may be things should be left be.sorry folks got no answers why.i hope this clears up the post i made.another time i will post a story on the other strange person in my street.this will blow your minds.there over 60 houses in my street and most are nice people.

tinpan

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
He better watch out....me thinks stealing a headstone would be bad karma!

This reminds me of something that happened to me recently. I went out to the cemetery where my grandmother is buried about two months ago. It is an old cemetery and is way out in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, there was a lot of trees/debris in there after Hurricane Katrina. After visiting my grandmothers grave, I noticed that in the older part of the cemetery some of the stones were missing. Most of them had dated from the 1850's to the 1880's. I went to investigate.

It turns out that where I was sure some graves were there was a huge scortch mark in the grass where the people who cleaned the cemetery had burned tree debris. I then saw that the fence on one side had been knocked down, and the heavy trees/stumps had been dragged out by a tractor. I went into the woods a bit farther, and found five headstones! They must have been knocked down while the trees were being dragged, and then just tossed into the woods. I guess the people cleaning the place figured no one would care or notice, considering how old they were.

I wrote a letter to the parish government explaining what I found, and they replied saying they would look into the situation. I doubt anything will come of it, though.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
rtde may be right.......personally i would approach the vampire and talk to him about the stones to see how he acts....if he doesn't know their origin see if he will allow you to try a shaving cream and tin foil etching on them to see if any writing can be seen, and if so, try finding where they belong and return them...n.c. has a detailed list of every known burial and its whereabouts...maybe your state will have one that will help......public works dept's usually keep up with burials in graveyards...........gldhntr

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the same as Rob.

With 1 Exception.

I would consider them Cool Collectables if they are
True Examples of Unused grave Markers. (Not Sick)

Plus if it Irritates the Neighbors, that's a Bonus ;)

Of course If he's Robbing them off Graves.

IF no Laws against it, then it just comes down to Personal Beliefs.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Before everything gets blown out of proportion here , I have found several tombstones in the woods....thrown down hills and piled on top of each other. In 1890 the cemetery was located next to the school . When they expanded the school ,they moved this small cemetery to the larger one in town...several tombstones were rolled over the bank for whatever reason and are still there today ,while the cemetery ground became the kids play area. At the larger cemetery in town,its built on a huge bank of a wooded swamp and old dump.There are at least fifty tombstones rolled over that bank. So I called the cemetery association and asked why these were there. The lady said that sometimes the relatives request that the body is moved to a different location and the tombstone is discarded...or a new marker has replaced the old one . So they roll them down the hill.
I found a tombstone this winter that has no logical reason for why it was there. I think there are hundreds of small cemetery's on private property that totally go to ruin over the years,and plowed under. Or when the property was sold to another ,the bodies were moved into a town cemetery and the tombstones discarded. I have often thought about hauling these tombstones home also, first because I thought it would pay some type of respect to the long forgotten person and because I think they are beautiful with the carvings etc.
And .....as far as the vampire theory.....Being part of Transylvania-Hungarian heritage..... I can tell you now....Garlic wont work...Have you ever met a Hungarian,Romanian or Transylvanian who doesn't like garlic??? . You might want to start melting all your silver coins into crosses and bullets tho.... :o :o :o

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
You might want to start melting all your silver coins into crosses and bullets tho.... :o :o :o

Just go for the Bullets.

If he's an Athiest, the Crosses won't work :P

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
gypsyheart said:
You might want to start melting all your silver coins into crosses and bullets tho.... :o :o :o

Just go for the Bullets.

If he's an Athiest, the Crosses won't work :P
what if you have a grave marker in your yard and no grave? we lived near one we called her "gertrude" a beautiful headstone from the late 1800's....but nobody knows where "gertrude" is....it had been moved away from her grave site yrs. ago!!!Has anyone seen "gertrude"?!!!! :D :-\ :-X ???

M

mchamby

I have a couple of marble markers in my back yard, the old guy that built the house got marble that they messed up dates and names and he reshaped them and used them for the chimney, fireplace and stone work on the outside of the house, none of them were ever in a cemetery.
Mchamby

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mchamby said:
I have a couple of marble markers in my back yard, the old guy that built the house got marble that they messed up dates and names and he reshaped them and used them for the chimney, fireplace and stone work on the outside of the house, none of them were ever in a cemetery.
Mchamby
I love the dancing panda!!!!

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005
While I was hunting for ghosttowns in the mountains I came across an old cemetary, there were about 10 graves, most had wooden markers that were badly worn but you could still make out some of them, they were dated from the 1860's. I didnt remove any of them, just took a pic....I think i found the town/campsite and will be back there when the snow is gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread