Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To celebrate a new job and promotion, the wife let me upgrade from my Garrett Ace 200. On the recommendation of another member, I went to metaldetector.com and got the Fisher F5 "closeout" package for $300 shipped to my door. I anxiously unpacked it last night and - even though I have no idea how to use all its functions yet - I took it out to the schoolyard around the corner for an hour before dark yesterday.

Even though I've picked over this field many times with the Ace 200, this Fisher just tore it up. Coin after coin with very little trash dug up. 17 coins in an hour including 8 quarters. Was digging up some deeper and older stuff, too (a few early 70's, which is when the school was built).

Even my 15-year-old was impressed enough to put his phone down and get excited!

I can't wait to learn this thing properly. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

IMG_7150.jpg

Upvote 35

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You got me a little excited here. I have the same Ace I bought for finding property pins not knowing if I'd ever want to get into the hobby or not. Well I do, I'm hooked solid. Was going to save my found coins till I could get the AT pro. That'll be awhile swinging this little guy. But I may bite the bullet and give this Fisher combo a go👍
Keep us posted how your learning and loving it! Or not😁
started with a used ace400 myself to retry the hobby after 30 years of inactivity and for the money those little machines are pretty good, I found that the interference with electrical lines and no ground balance made it kind of limited but glad you are enjoying yourself that's the most important part. Good luck hunting! It just gets better.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
started with a used ace400 myself to retry the hobby after 30 years of inactivity and for the money those little machines are pretty good, I found that the interference with electrical lines and no ground balance made it kind of limited but glad you are enjoying yourself that's the most important part. Good luck hunting! It just gets better.
Tya Wanderer, yeah having a blast. Haven't beeped around since a kid on pawpaw's old gold RadioShack box. Didn't know what I was doing then or now. But y'all getting me all educated and such🙃

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One hint-deep coins will be a faint whisper. Dig a couple of these faint whispers and you will be on your way!
Thanks for that. I actually was relic hunting the other day with it and dug an old .22 short bullet at about 6 inches. And it was a whisper like you describe.

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But I may bite the bullet and give this Fisher combo a go👍
Keep us posted how your learning and loving it! Or not😁
It has not disappointed. I've been pretty busy with the new job, but I hunted an area the other day in the woods that I've been over a million times. What I was amazed by was its ability to discriminate out all the junk when I set it to hunt coins.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear and glad you got a little time in the woods. My F5 will be here today. I went ahead and did it🤘 keep us posted(me) on the machine
It has not disappointed. I've been pretty busy with the new job, but I hunted an area the other day in the woods that I've been over a million times. What I was amazed by was its ability to discriminate out all the junk when I set it to hunt coins.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To celebrate a new job and promotion, the wife let me upgrade from my Garrett Ace 200. On the recommendation of another member, I went to metaldetector.com and got the Fisher F5 "closeout" package for $300 shipped to my door. I anxiously unpacked it last night and - even though I have no idea how to use all its functions yet - I took it out to the schoolyard around the corner for an hour before dark yesterday.

Even though I've picked over this field many times with the Ace 200, this Fisher just tore it up. Coin after coin with very little trash dug up. 17 coins in an hour including 8 quarters. Was digging up some deeper and older stuff, too (a few early 70's, which is when the school was built).

Even my 15-year-old was impressed enough to put his phone down and get excited!

I can't wait to learn this thing properly. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

View attachment 2036367
gratz on the finds, the upgrade and the promotion. you should get a megamillions ticket today

Danny Mation

Feb 22, 2023
Hi guys,

Danny from Belgium here (sorry for my English).

I borrowed a F5 from a friend and one of my objectives is to find back my wedding ring!

I lost it this summer while I was working on a chicken coop. The problem when I'm hunting for the ring is that the coop is made of metal. So whenever I get close to the coop, the F5 goes crazy.

Any tips in how to solve this problem? I'm a massive noob so go easy on me. :-)

Thank you for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread