What's new

My new spot, Masonic Lodge in N.Y. UPDATE

Kosh

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Saratoga Springs, New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED BELOW

Well I am pretty new at this but I have done a ton of research before I got my detector on promising locations. Over the winter I have secured permission for numerous properties. I figured I would start at my own Masonic lodge though. It is a huge white mansion on a hill located in upstate NY. It is a pre-Civil war structure. Today it was 50 degrees out and we had a meeting tonight so I figured I would go down early and test out the grounds near the home (the property is about 5 acres of untouched, never detected promised land).

So I got my GTP 1350 and my brand spanking new Garret pin pointer (which worked like a charm I might add) and went a huntin. In my roughly 2 hours of detecting I found some clad dimes, a hand full of pennies, a few pieces of trash and of course a pull tab. Again only messing around near the house, the ground was screaming at me as it is full of 200+ years of every thing under the sun.

The one neat thing I did find though was a badge or token, The Hudson-Fulton Celebration from September 25 to October 9, 1909 in New York and New Jersey was an elaborate commemoration of the 300th anniversary of Henry Hudson’s discovery of the Hudson River and the 100th anniversary of Robert Fulton’s first successful commercial application of the paddle steamer. The maritime achievements of Hudson and Fulton foreshadowed the importance of the river to New York’s progress and identity. Organizers used the event not only to display the success of the two men, but also the status of New York City as a world city and the achievements of its citizens.

I have to figure out how to clean it better, maybe some electrolysis? Anyway my intention is to detect the entire property and dig most any signal. If I find enough significant artifacts like this one I would like to build a display case and display them in the foyer of the lodge.

hudsonfultonbadge-1.jpg


I will be updating this post with all my finds from the lodge as I find them. I will also throw up a pic of the lodge itself.
 
Upvote 0
Ok went back today for a few hours.

Nothing special found (89 cents including a wheaty) but here are some pics.

stuff.jpg


Here is a pic of the site it self. Again it is the Masonic Lodge I belong to. It is a pre-civil war home that was part of the underground railroad (so I am told).
lodge.jpg
 
Cool find hiram, Beautifull lodge also, always nice to see another brother here.
The live round looks like a .30 M1 carbine round. HH
 
That lodge pic makes me drool! Low and slow is the name of the game! That yard is loaded for sure!
 
If I had permission to hunt that place I would pitch a tent and spend a week there..... ;D
 
nice!! if you ever need some help let me know!! i'm in clifton park
 
very nice find brother, try to talk to a museum to find on how to better clean it.
be safe and happy hunting.
cooper
 
Headed back down today for the afternoon. I'll post finds tonight. Its just a matter of time before I find a hot spot of old stuff.
 
Very nice find, I just live north of you and only started detecting the last few months. I am in Fla. now but can't wait till spring to hit this field I know that I am sure was very busy during the revolution.
 
Re: My new spot, Masonic Lodge in N.Y. UPDATE, final hunt.

Ok well I went down again today as I said I would. I spent about 5 hours detecting. I hit near the house this time with the sensitivity adjusted then moved out away from the home slowly.

I have come to a conclusion. This place has been detected before some time in the past. I have not found a single coin older than 1966 (well I found one 1945 wheaty). Other than the 1909 badge thingy, I have found nothing. Of course I found lots of junk, nails, screws and so on but mostly modern looking stuff.

Kinda discouraging to someone new to the hobby. Here I thought I found a great spot and it turned out to be just an big waste of time. Not sure if it is my detector or me or what, but if there was silver there I should have found it easy, especially if the place had not been detected before.

Well here is a pic of my clad for the day, the junk I threw away before taking a pic. There is some chunk of metal there that rings near the penny marker on my GTP 1350 but its silver looking.

crap.jpg
 
Re: My new spot, Masonic Lodge in N.Y. UPDATE, final hunt.

Kosh said:
Ok well I went down again today as I said I would. I spent about 5 hours detecting. I hit near the house this time with the sensitivity adjusted then moved out away from the home slowly.

I have come to a conclusion. This place has been detected before some time in the past. I have not found a single coin older than 1966 (well I found one 1945 wheaty). Other than the 1909 badge thingy, I have found nothing. Of course I found lots of junk, nails, screws and so on but mostly modern looking stuff.

Kinda discouraging to someone new to the hobby. Here I thought I found a great spot and it turned out to be just an big waste of time. Not sure if it is my detector or me or what, but if there was silver there I should have found it easy, especially if the place had not been detected before.

Well here is a pic of my clad for the day, the junk I threw away before taking a pic. There is some chunk of metal there that rings near the penny marker on my GTP 1350 but its silver looking.

crap.jpg

don't get discouraged! i know it's tough having great spots to hunt and not finding anything great...i did the esame thing when I started out. just keep at it, there's bound to be something at that place. just get back as often as possible....any place that you went over already be sure to hit again, from different angles. also if you ever want to get together and do some team hunting let me know...i'd be glad to help out. like I said i''m in clifton park although i'm away at college now.
 
Dont be discouraged...this happens many times. Most places have been hunted in the past but they are never hunted out. I dont know much about your machine, but I will say that having a good machine goes along way. My three best places in order where I have found the most silver are: hunted out places; areas with tons of junk; and bad areas in general. Hang in there and never give up!!
 
very cool badge :thumbsup:
 
Good hunting and good luck to you brother
 
Looks like that could be alot of fun!!

Keep it Up!!

M.J.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom