My oldest found item

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The oldest thing I've ever found. Picked it out of new shell and rock fill for my dad's driveway. Not very knowledgeable about shark's teeth. I'm thinking someone out there could identify the make and model grill this came from.
What is the oldest thing you have found?
Shark tooth 01.jpg
Shark tooth 02.JPG
Shark tooth 03.jpg

Upvote 7
OP
OP
S

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
I searched Google and found a bunch of hits. Here is just one of them: How to Identify Shark Teeth...
Good site, thanks for that. The color is the main thing that throws me off. I would guess either megalodon or chubutensis (shown as lighter color). I had always thought it came from one of the mines in Polk County. But here it says phosphate should turn it black. Maybe not the source after all. Still, likely to have come from central part of FL. That would certainly be an ancient sea bed.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fossil teeth take on the color of the matrix they end up in. Also being in water will stain them differently than yours coming from a land site. All of Florida was underwater when the Megs were swimming around. Very nice tooth, that base can be restored.

OP
OP
S

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fossil teeth take on the color of the matrix they end up in. Also being in water will stain them differently than yours coming from a land site. All of Florida was underwater when the Megs were swimming around. Very nice tooth, that base can be restored.
Thanks for the input. I take it you agree that it is a Megalodon tooth? Is restoration of the base a consideration for aesthetics or value? Who would do that type of work?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the input. I take it you agree that it is a Megalodon tooth? Is restoration of the base a consideration for aesthetics or value? Who would do that type of work?
Yes it's a Meg tooth. Restoration would slightly increase it's value but mostly for aesthetics. I'm sure you could find someone online who does the restoration since it's commonly done.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charcarodon Megalodon, if I spelled that right. The extinct great white shark, they got as big as a school bus and ate whales. They lived in the Miocene Period. All I got out of my driveway gravel was rocks...that is a once in a lifetime find!

OP
OP
S

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's a Meg tooth. Restoration would slightly increase it's value but mostly for anesthetics. I'm sure you could find someone online who does the restoration since it's commonly done.
Thanks again. Really appreciate the help. Are these things worth much?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks again. Really appreciate the help. Are these things worth much?
Maybe 1-200 bucks if it wasn't chipped at the root. The tooth has nice serrations that get worn off in the ocean unless buried in sediment. Nice color. I've seen them that color from quarries in the Parrish & Sarasota areas. Also Megs from Indonesia tend to be blond as well.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread