My Oldest Roman Coin Ever! Quinctius 112/1 BC + a Marc Anthony!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what an amazing short outing that was. We were only out for 2.5 hours & I had all 4 of the Roman silvers. That might be a record in itself.
We gridded on from where we left off & the signals were everywhere. I was happy enough with the Marc Anthony, but when the odd looking Republic popped out, I knew I had a new record. This coin of Quinctius beats my oldest by 54 years. It must have been in circulation for over 150 years before it was lost on this early Roman Site! I'm just glad it wasn't too smooth to ID.

23 Roman Bronze Coins
17th C Button & Hunts Button (Boar head)
Spec Buckle
Medieval Leather Mount
1 silver plated coin of Postumus, 1 dedased one of Gallienus.
Denarius of Marc Anthony - Leg IV circa 31BC
Denarius of Quinctius 112/1 BC - :headbang:Bust of Hercules/ Two horses left, naked rider on the nearest horse, rat below. Not sure what the rat story is!?
Ti Quinctius AR Denarius. 112/1 BC. Bust of Hercules left, wearing lion's skin headdress, club over shoulder / two horses left, rider on the nearer horse; TI Q and rat below, DOS.S in incuse on tablet in ex. Cr297/1, Syd 563. * Sear RCV 174 * WildWin

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 112
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Upvote 71

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monumental find, Cru, Congratulations on adding that super-oldie to the collection. Dumb question...How do you clean those Roman silvers, or did they come out of the ground looking like that? The one I dug in Colchester earlier this year had horncrust (sp) so thick on it that it was barely identifiable as a coin! Thanks, Sub :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monumental find, Cru, Congratulations on adding that super-oldie to the collection. Dumb question...How do you clean those Roman silvers, or did they come out of the ground looking like that? The one I dug in Colchester earlier this year had horncrust (sp) so thick on it that it was barely identifiable as a coin! Thanks, Sub :icon_thumleft:
The only one I cleaned, so to speak was the Marc Anthony, so we could read all the letters. I gave it a light rub with baking foil & spit.
(the rest was just warm soapy water.)

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you are still topping yourself and breaking records. Incredible find!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you are still topping yourself and breaking records. Incredible find!
Yeap, I'm making it hard for myself. My top 5 Wish List has stood the test of time for awhile.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, I'm making it hard for myself. My top 5 Wish List has stood the test of time for awhile.

Not to hijack this thread, but do you mind if I ask what your top 5 wish list consists of? Or is it a top 4 list now lol?

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BC = Banner. Nice find sir. Congrats on the bucketlister.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to hijack this thread, but do you mind if I ask what your top 5 wish list consists of? Or is it a top 4 list now lol?
1. Hoard (Not fussy what as long as Ancient)
2. Saxon Gold Coin
3. Roman Gold Coin
4. Celtic Bronze Statue
5. Offa Penny

I wanted a Republic Denarius as I had never had one, it just never made my top 5.:thumbsup:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow very impressive! The condition isn't ideal but finding one in the UK is wild, congratulations! One of Titus Quinctius Flamininus' Hercules Denarii is high on my want list, got outbid on a lovely one that went for about 275 a year ago so the search continues. As I understand the great grandpappy of the issuer of that coin was responsible for the suicide of Hannibal, with him understandably not trusting the motives of the Romans sent to fetch him. It seems that the Romans emulated the unusual perspective from some of the Indo-Greek coins minted earlier in the century. That 4th legion denarius ain't too shabby either, you really killed it this hunt!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
CRU continues to make unbelievable finds. :notworthy:
Today's 'haul' was no exception. Each of these ancient coins is loaded with history. The denarius of Antony is a great example. Issued before the Battle of Actium in 32 BC and likely minted at Antony's winter headquarters in Patrae (Greece), it was silver denarii such as this that Mark Antony used to pay his legions and fleet.

Seeking to associate himself with Julius Caesar, who had held the augurate, Antony too identified himself as augur; so one reads ANT AVG (abbreviating Antonius augurus); III VIR R P C abbreviates Triumvir rei publicae constituendae ("One of Three Men for the Restoration of the Republic"), which was adopted in 43 BC by Mark Antony, Octavian, and Lepidus when they formed the Second Triumvirate. (BTW, per Wiki, an augur was a religious official who observed natural signs, especially the behavior of birds, interpreting these as an indication of divine approval or disapproval of a proposed action.)

Keep swinging CRU, the next coin you find may have the image of Cleopatra.
Don.......

TripletDad

Sep 3, 2011
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
picture_1029.jpg

I bought one of those at a coin show some years back - it's great to see another one out in the wild! Only Roman coin I own.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Hoard (Not fussy what as long as Ancient)
2. Saxon Gold Coin
3. Roman Gold Coin
4. Celtic Bronze Statue
5. Offa Penny

I wanted a Republic Denarius as I had never had one, it just never made my top 5.:thumbsup:

Thanks Cru, that’s quite the list! That’s WAY cooler than my top five wish list lol.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what an amazing short outing that was. We were only out for 2.5 hours & I had all 4 of the Roman silvers. That might be a record in itself.
We gridded on from where we left off & the signals were everywhere. I was happy enough with the Marc Anthony, but when the odd looking Republic popped out, I knew I had a new record. This coin of Quinctius beats my oldest by 54 years. It must have been in circulation for over 150 years before it was lost on this early Roman Site! I'm just glad it wasn't too smooth to ID.

23 Roman Bronze Coins
17th C Button & Hunts Button (Boar head)
Spec Buckle
Medieval Leather Mount
1 silver plated coin of Postumus, 1 dedased one of Gallienus.
Denarius of Marc Anthony - Leg IV circa 31BC
Denarius of Quinctius 112/1 BC - :headbang:Bust of Hercules/ Two horses left, naked rider on the nearest horse, rat below. Not sure what the rat story is!?
Ti Quinctius AR Denarius. 112/1 BC. Bust of Hercules left, wearing lion's skin headdress, club over shoulder / two horses left, rider on the nearer horse; TI Q and rat below, DOS.S in incuse on tablet in ex. Cr297/1, Syd 563. * Sear RCV 174 * WildWin

Hi , Do you intend to put the other version on how Late Republican Period Coins got to the UK . The Archaeologists do have original eyewitness accounts ? If you decide not too , I will gladly do it for you TP

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER VOTE IN on the Quinctius Denarius. Enough said !!!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Do you intend to put the other version on how Late Republican Period Coins got to the UK . The Archaeologists do have original eyewitness accounts ? If you decide not too , I will gladly do it for you TP
Been drinking your fosters in the middle of the day again. Of course you can post the eyewitness accounts to be helpful you don't need my permission. Although I've not seen you been helpful yet, so I guess I'll hear nothing.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For us this side of the pond,that coin is not old,
It’s ancient.