My Renovation Cache

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
I have added notes, coins and hot wheels cars behind walls when I completely gutted and remodeled my house in Michigan. I have always signed my name and date to the back side of drywall, or on the framing.

My buddy bought an old farm house in Flushing, Mi. and when I was over there, we were looking in one of the sheds. On a main post, someone wrote the year (1907) I believe and the amount of lumber along with the price of each piece and a total, which I think was $11.00. Man, sure wish I could build a nice shed like that for under $20 dollars, lol.

Also, I love making furniture and I always build a secret compartment (hide my valuables ;D)in each piece whether it is a table, chest, wall unit, etc. I burn my name and date into it but have never left any coins, maybe I will go and do that.......anyhow, I got the idea when I was working as a mover while going to college and I was lifting the top piece of a two piece china hutch. The really old lady's husband had made the china hutch for her and when it was lifted, it tilted towards me and I heard something slide on top, but I knew I had taken everything down from the top. When the piece was set on the floor, I could see the top board was a little loose and I picked it up (it was a false top) and underneath was a cigar box, just filled with silver coins, his war medals from WWII and stock papers from when He worked for General Motors in the 50's. The old lady started crying because her husband had passed on some 15-20 yrs prior and she and her family search all over the place for that box and gave up. Oh, there was a picture of the lady when she was a young lady that her husband carried with him at war.

Really cool story and glad I was able to make her day.

Movers find all kinds of things when moving people, I could go on and on about things we found.

take care everyone and have a wonderful day!!!

OP
OP
Yarrum

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
AeroMike said:
The old lady started crying because her husband had passed on some 15-20 yrs prior and she and her family search all over the place for that box and gave up. Oh, there was a picture of the lady when she was a young lady that her husband carried with him at war.
Really cool story and glad I was able to make her day.

That's a great story, glad you were able to help her out. I'm sure it's a memory you'll always treasure.

HH

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived in Allenspark Colorado a friend of mine bought an old service station.
He ran a small mechanics shop there and pulled his own motorcycle in to work on one day.
He was lying on the floor next to his workbench and looked up under the bench and saw a box screwed to the underside.
He unscrewed it and found $500 all in $20 Gold certificates.
Another cache found only a few miles away in Lyons was found by a 16 year old boy who was climbing a rock wall behind his house along the South St Vrain river.
He noticed a loose rock and pulled it out and thought he had found dynamite as there were cardboard looking tubes in the hole in the wall.
They called the sheriff and they called in the bomb squad and on examination found the cardboard tubes were rolls of $20 gold pieces.
The paper didn't say the exact dollar amount of the coins but since his family owned the land and he found it they were allowed to keep the coins and said it would be used towards his college fund.
I know of more cache's but those are the best ones I personally know of.
I found 67 pennies once in one hole and another time found 11 mercury dimes stacked perfectly in a little pile on the edge of my cousins driveway.
Obviously a little kids cache.
I also buried a cigar box with some of my cub scout stuff and some money in it (small change) and a pocket knife in the back corner of the yard at 4102 mead street in Kalamazoo Michigan in 1968 or 69
I never got back to it so it's probably still there.

OP
OP
Yarrum

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
maverick4440 said:
They called the sheriff and they called in the bomb squad and on examination found the cardboard tubes were rolls of $20 gold pieces.
Just goes to show that there are caches still out there. Cool story 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread