My Renovation Cache

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
Recently my wife and I had the bathroom renovated from it's old 60s style to new. I decided to do the dunny myself (separate room) and I ended up re gyprocking the walls, tiling etc.
While I had the walls off I decided to plant a small cache for someone to find in the future. I put a few Aussie pennies, world coins, Aussie Decimal etc in with a note saying when it was planted etc. I think we all find so many treasures and coins that I thought I'd leave something for a future generation ( or myself when I renovate again in 30 years ;D )
Has anyone else done something like this?? Just curious.
Thanks for :o

jamestaylor

Feb 24, 2007
Yes, I did this in Saskatchewan when I was around 11 years old. I took the soap dish off and put some old coins inside. I guess I had a bug for finding treasure even then. My late father was very adept at making homebrew and there is 4 40oz bottles stuck in the wall in the basement. They slid down when he put them in the rafter. Too much trouble to get out as making more was easy. The liquor he made was always as clear as water and would burn in a spoon when lit with a match. That would be around 1968-69 so I can only imagine when someone finds those little treasures at how mellow that would be by now. Dad buried his still in the garden when we sold the house, so that is still there maybe also.

greg :D

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Back in the late 60s, I buried a small cache of coins in a wall of the farmhouse I grew up in. The house is being bulldozed (see http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,72640.msg540664.html#msg540664).

I plan to go back and retrieve the cache before the house is destroyed. It was almost 40 years ago, but I think I put a quarter, nickle, dime and a penny wrapped in plastic - then inserted between some bricks before they were covered with some kind of grout or plaster. I remember roughly where it was - hopefully my MD can pinpoint it for me after almost 4 decades...

Joe

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Hi all, I work in the construction/renovation field and I always leave at least one coin of the proper date in a wall for someone in the future to find.I also pulled some lino out of my bathroom closet and under it was a 1936 Buffalo nickle in great condition it was not on the edge like it had been swept under there,it was in the center obviously placed there when the bathroom was first installed. Later, Bootstrap

dogbeak

Aug 12, 2005
west central WI
Wow, my mom allways left photos and notes when we remodeled rooms in our houses behind paneling and sheetrock or whatever, to leave a little history about our family.
I wish I could see those notes today!!
Thanks for sharing and keeepit up
Bill

OP
OP
Yarrum

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
bootstrap vinn said:
Hi all, I work in the construction/renovation field and I always leave at least one coin of the proper date in a wall for someone in the future to find.

I reckon that's a bloody ripper idea!! My old boy retiled some of his roof (the tiles were fired sometime in the 50's) and found a tile engraved by one of the workers. It said "Jim is a mug" ;D :D
(Aussie slang meaning gullible, slow)
Little bits of history like that are great
Good on ya.

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
When my parents bought the house I grew up in in 1977, they took out a medicine cabinet that was in the bathroom and replaced it with a large mirror. The mirror just covered the cavity that was left in the wall. Before putting the mirror up, my mom wrote a note dated July 1977, saying who they were and when they bought the house.

In 1991, while re=painting the bathroom, they took the mirror down, and I found the note. I thought it was really neat, so I wrote a note of my own, saying that we still lived in the house and dated it. I also taped a brand new 1991 penny to the note. I put both back in the cavity and it was once again covered up.

My parents still live in that house, and I suppose those notes and penny are still in there. :-)

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I recently buried a small cach of coins in a sidwalk dig in Bryan Texas at night just B-4 they poured it, may be 100 years or so b-4 its found with who knows how many people walking right across the top of it. ;D, my next one is ready to bury, and better, Havent decided where yet.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got about 10 lb's of mixed weats and indians I've dug over the years and I'm going to add some modern coins and bury it somewere's soon ! ;D

OP
OP
Yarrum

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
texan connection said:
I recently buried a small cach of coins in a sidwalk dig in Bryan Texas at night just B-4 they poured it, may be 100 years or so b-4 its found with who knows how many people walking right across the top of it. ;D, my next one is ready to bury, and better, Havent decided where yet.

kieser sousa said:
I've got about 10 lb's of mixed weats and indians I've dug over the years and I'm going to add some modern coins and bury it somewere's soon ! ;D

10 lb's is a hell of a lot of coins ;D, thinking of maybe doing that at some stage with all the clad I find. Haven't found much yet though. Caching under concrete sounds like a good idea too, means it will be time capsuled for some time to come.
Thanks for your input.
HH

bongo1962

Feb 4, 2007
Buick City
Yarrum, I installed new vinyl windows for 17 years. I left a modern penny underneath a great many of them. Unfortunately I cannot take credit for the idea. I found Indian head pennies from the 1800's under the windows I was tearing out of an old house, when I was a young installer. I guess I was keeping up a tradition of sorts. Bongo

Junkophile

Apr 1, 2007
Deep South Texas
Many years ago, my dad and his friend had a squatter's cabin built on a piece of land that broke away and formed sort of an island along a navigation channel. He claimed they had permission to be there but the navigation district thought otherwise and razed the cabin to the ground. Anyway that was the place where we went deer hunting and fishing until I was about eight. We simply called it The Isand.

I took one of those old gallon jugs, the ones with the glass rings along the neck, and filled it with as many pennies I could and then I decided to bury it like a pirate. The softest dirt I could find, was near the pit we threw trash. Lots of cans and pull tabs. ;D Anyway as luck would have I didn't get to return until next season. By then rain and undergrowth changed the details around some and I couldn't find it. It was shortly after that the cabin was burnt to the ground and dad decided it wasn't worth the trouble to get a lawyer and fight the Navigation District. I never got to go back. :'(

So on some piece of land along the Arroyo Colorado between Rio Hondo Texas and Arroyo City lays a child's fortune. I aim to try and find it someday. I'm pretty sure there were some wheats in that stash.

contractorod

Aug 27, 2006
Lawtey,Fl.
I am also in the construction field about 3 months ago i tore out a plaster window sill the house was probably built in the early 50s and i found 5 wheats ever since than i have carried on the tradition also :)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
In the process of renovating our home, I found numerous old coins, mostly wheats from the '40s. I found them buried inside window sills, over door frames, behind baseboard, etc. One little pile behind baseboard had nine wheats in it. I was almost disappointed when the renovations were completed! ;D

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Doh!
I just sealed up the walls on my kitchen renovation and didn't think to put anything inside them for the next remodeler to find. If I had FOUND something there I would have definitely replaced it with something else. Still, I dropped the ball on this one. :P

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did it when I remodeled my sun room. I signed and dated the backside of the drywall and put in a newspaper with the same date, coins dated that year and a recent photo of myself and my family.

Jim

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
i sheet rocked my attic my buddy thought it would be nice to leave the next guy a little bag of weed. needless to say we ripped a hole in it later on to get the bag back out.

OP
OP
Yarrum

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
bongo1962 said:
I found Indian head pennies from the 1800's under the windows I was tearing out of an old house, when I was a young installer. I guess I was keeping up a tradition of sorts. Bongo
Love it, great tradition.

Junkophile said:
I took one of those old gallon jugs, the ones with the glass rings along the neck, and filled it with as many pennies I could and then I decided to bury it like a pirate.
Another good one, sure hope you find it again. If not someone will someday.

halfdime said:
In the process of renovating our home, I found numerous old coins, mostly wheats from the '40s. I found them buried inside window sills, over door frames, behind baseboard, etc. One little pile behind baseboard had nine wheats in it. I was almost disappointed when the renovations were completed! ;D

LOL ;D

kiddrock33 said:
i sheet rocked my attic my buddy thought it would be nice to leave the next guy a little bag of weed. needless to say we ripped a hole in it later on to get the bag back out.
ROFL ;D, good one. Thanks for everyone's replys, they've been very interesting.

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
I have a house- about 100 years old now. While taking out (bashing out) plaster and lathe, we found tin-type photos, old advertising cards (Victorian/turn-o-century), and a 1917 penny-- plus bottles and old (cheap) plaster(?) doll parts- and straw filling for the body- all disconnected. We left a tin w/ photos, current cash, a little note explaining what was going on and why we were messing with the walls... While showing these finds to a carpenter friend, I found out that a lot of old-time carpenters left a coin under each post. I thought that was very cool! I tell you, it's the coolest history- the stuff you find in your own home... A GREAT tradition! HH (and HIDING!) ;D

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kiddrock33 said:

In the voice of Tommy Chong "Oh wow man" ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread