my shark died

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
Thankfully at the end of a two day hunt over the weekend as I was walking across the beach in a hurry to get to the water I noticed I was getting a target sound every time I moved the coil. Once in the water is settled down a little and would be okay if I moved it very very slowly. When swinging the coil as I normally do
(which is really quite slow) when I reached extreme left or right it would sound off. Then there would be periods of five or ten minutes when everything would be fine then here it comes again. First thing monday I talked with Tesoro they said it sounded like water in the coil and to send it back. I looked over the coil very closely and could see no cracks or openings and then I put my fingers on the top nut of the coil connector and found it was loose. I don't know but just seems like if it is a hard wired unit and the coil can't be changed why not seal that up, Assuming thats where the water got in.
Anyway, took it to pack and ship and as soon as I walked out the door I found myself in a very depressing mood, started shaking all over and an adult beverge didn't help. After several phone calls and a two hour drive I located another Shark and I now have an 8" coil to go along with the 10.5 when it gets back.
I hope the people at Tesoro are as fast as they are pleasant.

Upvote 0

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish you luck, Doug :thumbsup: Tesoro's customer service is pretty dang good. I'm sure they'll have it back to you in no time. Why not make use of the downtime & scout out some new spots for once your detector arrives. Or, make a sifter (cheap to do) & try moving some dry sand on the beach. I heard folks can do very well. Beats sitting home too :sign13:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the fellas I hunt with out on Long Island, NY, had a pinhole leak in his 10.5" coil. He was not using a scuff cover. They had it fixed, pessure-tested and back to him in about 8-days. I LOVE my 8" coil!!!! You may naver swing that big 10.5" again! :laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please take notice if you get your detector back and it is now hardwired with a new coil as Tesoro does not have the connectors anymore. But they still may have to rewire your new coil with your old connector. They should be able to do that without hardwiring it so you can still change coils. :thumbsup:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try it after you tightened the loose nut. Reason I ask is that I had the same thing happening with my tiger shark mid summer. Got so unstable and chattery that I couldn't hunt. Was about ready to send it in when I discovered the loose nut. Tightened it up and no problems the rest of the summer.

OP
OP
C

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
No, I really didn't try it again I guess because what the tech was telling me kind of made sense. However because I was so "down" my wife didn't argue at all when I said I had to buy another. So now I will have two sharks. What could be better than that? P.S. Picked up the new 8" yesterday, it sure looks small compared to the ten and a half.

DetectorOCD

Sep 22, 2010
Dallastown, PA
Detector(s) used
TESORO!
Man, I wish I could hang my head low in sadness and the wife would give the go ahead for another machine. I should try that. Hmmm :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread