bazinga
Silver Member
- Joined
- Oct 31, 2005
- Messages
- 2,967
- Reaction score
- 80
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- High Five!
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
My Thoughts on JD's Hunt
It was good to meet those of that I did get the chance to talk to.
The day was beautiful and we couldn't have asked for a better day than the one we were given. Too bad the concrete (err, ground) was so difficult to dig in. I got quite a few signals that I would normally dig if the soil wasn't so hard, but they were all like 10" deep, so I wasn't going to spend 30min chasing an old square nail.
I finished the day with 5 fired musket balls, 1 unfired musket ball, a fired 3-ringer, some misc melted lead, and an Eagle I button. Almost all of it came in the first 2 hours while hunting in the woods. I probably should have stayed there the whole day, but after hearing about those two half dimes being found in the field I wanted a chance at finding one. I also won a silver round in the raffle.
Now here is the part that might earn me some bad thoughts, haha, but it needs to be said. I would say 3 out of 4 people out there hunting did not know how to swing their detector. Everywhere I looked people were taking 2 steps between each swing and swinging in a big Z pattern and missing half of the ground that they were walking over. Then most were also swinging their detectors high off the ground at each end of their swing like a golf club.
SLOW DOWN! I don't necessarily mean slow your swing down, but slow your walk down.
KEEP YOUR COIL ON THE GROUND! Don't ever lift it off the ground until you are placing it in your vehicle at the end of the day. Don't be afraid of scratching it or getting it dirty.
It was good to meet those of that I did get the chance to talk to.
The day was beautiful and we couldn't have asked for a better day than the one we were given. Too bad the concrete (err, ground) was so difficult to dig in. I got quite a few signals that I would normally dig if the soil wasn't so hard, but they were all like 10" deep, so I wasn't going to spend 30min chasing an old square nail.
I finished the day with 5 fired musket balls, 1 unfired musket ball, a fired 3-ringer, some misc melted lead, and an Eagle I button. Almost all of it came in the first 2 hours while hunting in the woods. I probably should have stayed there the whole day, but after hearing about those two half dimes being found in the field I wanted a chance at finding one. I also won a silver round in the raffle.
Now here is the part that might earn me some bad thoughts, haha, but it needs to be said. I would say 3 out of 4 people out there hunting did not know how to swing their detector. Everywhere I looked people were taking 2 steps between each swing and swinging in a big Z pattern and missing half of the ground that they were walking over. Then most were also swinging their detectors high off the ground at each end of their swing like a golf club.
SLOW DOWN! I don't necessarily mean slow your swing down, but slow your walk down.
KEEP YOUR COIL ON THE GROUND! Don't ever lift it off the ground until you are placing it in your vehicle at the end of the day. Don't be afraid of scratching it or getting it dirty.

Sorry to say that I don't think I got to meet you Saturday.
Your finds are awesome as usual! Congrats!!!
I fizzled out about 1:00 with my back acting up and sat around most of the afternoon visiting with the A$$es! I told someone I didn't care if I found a lot but just as long as I found something and I did find lots of rusted barbed wire and a 3 ringer. My detector has 3 iron icons and I had been hunting on all metal. I finally a discriminated out the first two iron icons and stopped getting all that rusty wire and found the 3 ringer almost immediatly. Although I tried to grid off an area and work it methodically, I didn't find as much as many did. I think it was a matter of just being in the right spot at the right time because the area was so big. There were quite a few novice hunters out there that were former A$$es! I did find a very deep, large rusted iron something that was almost a foot deep. I was unable to get it out with my digging tool and still wonder what it was? I guess I should have got someone with a shovel to come and help, but my male ego got in the way and I wore myself out digging with my handheld tool for about an hour! What a dummy! I barely made it back to the A$$ hole and collapsed in my chair! Several of the A$$es were making cracks so I felt right at home. Glad you enjoyed the hunt and I am looking forward to the next one provided it is in my back yard. Then maybe I could do that landscaping my wife keeps nagging me about? Monty






