My True Treasure Tale - Long, but the Whole Story.....

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pics or it did not happen. you do not even say what "coins" you supposedly found.

Use your imagination.... There are several possible reasons why the pics were not posted...or maybe? You are a government employee?

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I understand all that you did afterwards. Getting the landowner to agree, allowed you to legally own your share, after the fact. Removing any evidence of any earlier time stamp (pics) was also good in they came after you. Every time you look at the Vette, you remember the whole thing. ;) Like I said I understand totally how you reacted afterwards. I wouldn't go back either. Take care and I hope your still around to read this. Great read.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old thread, but I appreciate that the OP shared it. It gives one insight and the ability to find treasure vicariously!
No proof is needed to appease ANYONE!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. This one you will never forget. I hope that you did not sell these coins to coin dealers but through coins auctions. Sent me a private message and I will tell you which one to use. Thanks for sharing.

Dirt_Hunter

Jun 1, 2016
Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is amazing! I am at loss for words... Well a week ago I found 7 modern pennies at the park...

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the best treasure story ive ever herd. I feel sweaty , nervous , and excited. Hands down the the best one. Ill be digging for years now.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll have to call BS, but if true rather dense to even post the story.

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy I really enjoyed that, got the blood pumping, Nice to hear one of the good guys reaped the rewards of his effort and not some pencil pushing government claim jumper with a fresh set of laws.
Enjoy the blessing , WELL DONE :notworthy:

Dirt_Hunter

Jun 1, 2016
Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing story! I am currently working on an HTML website which will be a website of legends, lore, and treasures of america. Can I post this?

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy Night Stalker's story, makes me believe that there are still sites to be found! Closer to this than Beale or OakIsland. Even if not true, still got me going right along and thinking more where I had seen old foundations of chimneys and could get the okay to detect them. I reread this occasionally just to get the blood going together out and hunt. Thanks Night Stalker!

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story! I love the way you led us along the journey.

That said, I call bullhockey on the whole deal. Not even one solitary pic of any of the coins, even way after the fact? Unless they were all incredibly rare date coins, showing some of them would give nothing away.

Good tale, though.

Brewha08

Mar 20, 2016
Martha's Vineyard
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call BS unless you tell me where you found it :laughing7:

Congrats on a find of a million lifetimes

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I read your story a while ago. I tell all my friends about it. It can happen and does. A firend of mine son went to a garage sale and bought a heavy box with a lock on it. $5.00.when he got home he broke the lock off. I say the contents. Gold and silver coins. I have no idea of the value. At least a couple of thousand. God bless you Stacker. Mike.

OMG...Something similar happened to me at a farm auction in a rather poor county. It was later in the day, the auctioneer sucked as some do, very little advertising didn't know much about getting bids up to help the people etc. Early on he started shoving lots of different things into piles, which isn't uncommon but if someone wanted one thing, they might get 10-20 things for $2.00! Seriously all day the highest bid/sale didn't exceed $51.00 & that was me for an Alis Chalmers Riding Tractor for the farm with a tiller & plow! Except for a $30k Horse that two cowboys had come down from Wyoming to try & buy....They did buy him for $1,600. I had gone to the owners representative very early when I saw what was going on & said I thought they should stop the sale for that day & reschedule. I go to a lot of auctions so it doesn't take long to see if it's a buyers market. There were 6 other auctions going on that day close by with Auctioneers that had big followings & they had desirable collections & items people want especially lots of farm equipment & long guns. Anyway they wouldn't stop the auction. I stayed & bought a pickup bed & interior full of stuff that I had only wanted maybe 10 things. $100 even. These people had lived there for 32 years & prior to that it had been with the original homesteaders. When they got to a machine shed there was one thing I wanted for the farm...one of those portable basketball poles, backboard & ball. Auctioneer started bidding at $1.00 (me only) then when no one else bid he put everything that was on a flatbed trailer into the basketball thing I wanted, very few people still there & everyone walked away. I'm not one to leave lots I win & so I had all that stuff for a buck. Some really nice guys loaded the tractor in my truck bed & every other lot I ended up with packed around it. I paid my bill & left. I got back up to the farm & me & Unc unloaded everything in the yard, spaying it down for brown recluse & any other unwanted bug. I hosed it all down, dumping full tool chests & everything else. I saw a green metal box, the kind you keep papers in with the handle that you can grab & go in case of an emergency. I went to open it & it was locked, those are cheap boxes so I went to pick it up & it was HEAVY! Unc had taken it out of the truck so that was my first time touching it. I was tired & just wanted a shower & to relax & finish all that stuff the next day. So I did. Built a fire outside in the pit, friends & family came over, had a few & went to bed late. The next day I got started sorting everything & got to that cheap green box that was locked. I didn't care about breaking the lock so I did. I about fell over... the box was completely full of very old Sterling Silver Flatware, Silver Coins, small silver plates etc. Gold Rings, Medallions, Diamond & Gold Jewelry of various kinds. Unbelievable that no one had even checked that prior to sale. But they didn't. This is nowhere near what NS & others have found but still was enough to not sell a Very Heavy Cheap Locked Box At Auction just to have someone haul it off. I have no idea who actually owned that box as there had been a Very Big Tornado come through that area & the Amish had rebuilt this place but people all over there had property that had landed on their land & they had just put it in a barn or somewhere till they heard of someone missing something when they went to the local cafe for coffee & lunch everyday. I didn't know who the reps were & I wasn't about to give it to that Auctioneer. I showed Unc who knows everyone & asked him to keep his ears open for anyone asking about it. I put it in a safe & kept it untouched for two years. Nothing was ever heard about it.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the story kace. This is one of my favorite threads, and ill never forget the first time I read it. It made me feel dizzy with sweaty palms and butterflies in my stomach. Awsome story and I love hearing peoples reaction to it.

Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand why there would be a 1920's coin hoard. Most people would just gather their coins and trade them for greenbacks? Why no coin denomination details?
Good story though. Very good visualizations and descriptions. I would work on the the coin part of the story, though. If they were silver and gold dollars you think he would just say silver and gold dollars.

Women don't usually cry when they find money, they talk about what they are going to buy.
:laughing7:

Pretty unusual, most people just use to stash the extra cash under a floorboard in their cabin. Why would the person lay down a board then cover it with dirt? It almost sounds like the story started out in the log cabin.
The reason for that is I was burying my coin hoard next to the big Pine tree and I think Billybob the next door neighbor saw me. The next day my coins were gone. Usually their is some cover involved, Unless those bricks were the remnant of an old corn crib, or chicken coop?
:laughing7:

:dontknow:

Then I drank some Jack Daniels and ate a donut.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread