My True Treasure Tale - Long, but the Whole Story.....

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Night -

Sounds like you made the smartest decisions you could have under the circumstances, the stress, and the thrill of it all!

Don't second guess yourself, don't listen to the Monday Morning Quarterbacks, and don't start thinking you did anything wrong.

You found a treasure... well done. Go rhino-line some more stuff and enjoy your family.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Wow. Kinda speechless. When they say you never know....guess it's true. Thanks for the story.

Could you imagine if you had not found that stuff and some mall went up there and it all got buried forever?

My wife's uncle was the one of the dozen who financed the search for the US Central America. They found millions in gold coins but due to the litigation it took years and they really didn't make any money from it. One of the problems he said was the supply and demand. Once you try to sell 1000 gold coins valued at $$$$ it becomes a problem selling more than a couple hundred without lowering the price significantly.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Night Stalker,
One more thing that I forgot. Would you please keep us posted if you are contacted by any govt. agency's. Or if you get a knock on your door by men in black suits! Thanks...Steve

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
thats NUTS!!! WOW! If I brought something like that home to show my wife, she wouldn't complain about me going metal detecting ever again! I could say, "see I don't just bring home rusty junk all the time". :) Happy Hunting!!!

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
Night Stalker

When people, mostly my kids ;D, ask me what I would wish I always say "Foresight to Hindsight" ;D

No one can truly say what they would do in ANY situation . . oh, we can sit back & listen to a story, read the news & proclaim with smug confidence . ."well now, if that was me I would do yadda yadda yadda & blah de blah blah" . . but would we? ??? Probably not ;D

I have read your post, quite a few times ;D, & responses as well & in my opinion you did correctly . . you went for advice, & did what you felt at the time with given information & a bit of pressure perhaps, was the correct thing . .

Again I am glad you shared your story with everyone. . it really gives us a bit more insight to the what if's & what do's ;D

Bogart :D

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Holy mackerel NightStalker!...I literally started sweating along with you as I read your recollection.

No regrets bud about the way you handled it. Anyone who has criticisms for your actions in liquidating cannot imagine what the pressure and stress must have been like.

Unfreakingbelievable.
Hopefully you saved a few representative coins for your personal collection.

Dan

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.
Wow, i just read the entire thread, and i still can't believe your luck.

You were indeed very lucky for that find.

Thanks a ton for the advice.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Talking with one of the guys at work today about your story... he told me one of his own, it's pretty funny!

Get this- His cousin hit the Califonia lottery a few years back. His take after taxes was something like 6 million. One of the first things he did was get his DNA on record. ???

Seems one gal after another popped up wanting back child support for kids he didn't even know about. Turns out he wasn't the father (of course) and after the first one, he decided it'd be a good idea to have the whole schmear on file. :D

It's amazing the levels people will sink to for a little bit of cash. Hope something like this doesn't happen in your case! :)

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Hi Night Stalker;

Others would no doubt have they're own opinion on what they would have done in your shoes and I'm sure that in hindsight you would have done some things differently also.

As for myself in that situation, I would have kept pictures in a secure location, but only shared specific ones that didn't divulge the source of the find, or the quantity. I've been in a situation that required secrecy before and even though it was difficult at first, I managed to keep matters to myself. But, everyone is different and lacking a sedative when the urge to "tell all" strikes you, some just couldn't keep a secret to save themselves. Maybe there should be a new thread titled "What To Do When You Make Your Find Of A Lifetime"?

Personally, I would have stashed that find away and slowly sold it off over 10 years or so, using different "agents" acting on my behalf, (and only after I had a really good idea of the value). But, it wasn't me and everyone is different.

I still wonder though. Since you never had the chance to finish MD'ing the whole area around your find, couldn't there be a second, or even a third cache hidden somewhere? Whoever stashed that cache, very likely didn't want to put all they're egg's in one basket. At least, I wouldn't think so. Sure wish I could hunt that area though.

Just a thought.

F.

OP
OP
Night Stalker

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Functional - hindsight is always 20/20, but I'm not complaining.....

Romeo-1..... ;D Sure beats a day at the office!

Me and wifey just after our move to Panama City Beach....

Attachments

• Beach07.jpg
    Beach07.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 5,605

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
romeo-1 said:
WOW...$109,750??? Freaking amazing! Congrats!!!

I believe NS stated that he gave half to the land owner, so if NS had "(a total) of things to do", that was his half.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
WOW, Stalker. I just discovered this post. Fantastic, man. I'm happy for you and your wife. I know a little bit about the feelings and emotions you went through when digging up the cache and hawling it away. Tremendously exciting, wasn't it. Take care and have a good time.
Bob

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I too just discovered this post....About all I can say is Holy crap and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Could not have happened to a better person.
Peace

~Nash~

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you did the right thing :) If you had done it the other way, you'd wind up sharing half with "the big house"....

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
NS, I laid in bed most of the night thinking about this amazing find of yours.
I have a couple of questions. Have you done some research yet on WHO possibly was the one that secreted the stash? I would imagine that it was one of the property owners. Is there a record of who all owned this property through the ages? I'm guessing that by the date of the coins, it would tell you WHICH owner was the one that dug this treasure hole. It would then be interesting to discern HOW this person came onto all this loot.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's good that you got rid of it as soon as possible. Two brothers near here back around 1982 amassed a very large sum of money by selling property to a coal mining company and kept large sums of money at their house. They also showed off large wads of hundreds everywhere they went. One of them came home to find the other murdered and the house ransacked. They lived out in the country a long ways from anyone else and nobody heard or saw anything. The police found where someone had been watching the place from the woods. I don't think they ever caught who did it. There's plenty of nuts out there who would kill you just on the off-chance you had kept some of it at your house. I would have been terrified also about who to tell and what to do with all of it. Congrats to you on the find of your lifetime and enjoy!

DANGLANGLEY

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply an amazing find, one we all dream about and hope for with every signal and dug target. Your story was excellent, it was almost like being there with you. Congratulations and good luck. Tsgman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions