pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 6 yo son won an Ace 400 at a club meeting. So I had to do some modifications to get it to fit him.

First I added a bicycle bar end to one side so he could use 2 hands. Then I shortened the rod by 4.5 inches. Shortening the rod was a bit tricky but I didn't screw it up. I really wish that Garrett would sell a short rod for use by children. The biggest hurdle at getting kids out is finding a good detector that fits them. I would rather not start them on junk.

Now for the pictures. :tongue3:

25395956_10155928186921797_2398325592032822614_n.jpg

25398429_10155920775111797_6117070772332008033_o.jpg

25591603_10155928187041797_6064395465723877183_n.jpg

Upvote 21

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice rig. He looks like a natural. He's young so he can dig all targets and still not get tired. The Ace 400's a good mid-range set-up for him to grow into. How does he like the handle bar swinging method?

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The handlebar is good. I suspect that it wont be long until he doesn't use it. When it was full sized I noticed that he wanted to put the off hand under the swinging hand, probably because it was heavy and difficult to control. Cut some inches out of it and he can control it much better.

I just walk beside him and critique his swing, because I am that dad. :) We also got a good lesson in ground coverage today because he missed a quarter but picked it up on a return through the same area. I love those easy lessons that just occur.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Penny farmer I'm a wheat harvester lol Great to get him started I cant imagine what my collection of stuff would look like if I started that young!!! One day your going to start noticing your detector disappeared lol... Great Family time though!!!!! Great post and Happy Holidays.. Tommy

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you can rig up a small swingy thingy and let him swing one handed with the weight of the detector neutralized.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And he found some bling!.....is it silver?
Must have got him excited to find money.
Good job by you, and him.

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you can rig up a small swingy thingy and let him swing one handed with the weight of the detector neutralized.

Yeah, that was one of my thoughts. I just have to figure out how I am going to do it.

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And he found some bling!.....is it silver?
Must have got him excited to find money.
Good job by you, and him.

I was hoping it would be silver but no. That was actually his favorite thing, so I know he will do well in this hobby. People who are interested in only coins often get bored and frustrated with the hobby. People who like the interesting junk stick around. :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome! :icon_thumright:

Hunting with your son...priceless! :occasion14:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got bit by the detecting bug early on. A lifetime of memories for him. Good for you dad.
With crypto currency around the corner coins will be archeological discoveries.

Thanx for sharing

D930988B-36AC-4DFA-A1BB-A481FA4EC9B7.jpeg

Merry Christmas

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos to the DAD of the YEAR! I can't think of a better past time to get a young person involved in than metal detecting. The Ace 400 is no slouch. He'll be digging the good stuff right out of the gate. He'll be grown into this thing before you know it. Yeah, he's a kid and they grow FAST!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos to the DAD of the YEAR! I can't think of a better past time to get a young person involved in than metal detecting. The Ace 400 is no slouch. He'll be digging the good stuff right out of the gate. He'll be grown into this thing before you know it. Yeah, he's a kid and they grow FAST!:thumbsup:

I am not really a Garrett guy but I agree. It is a pretty nice detector. Good resolution with the target ID numbers. Seems to have good recovery speed for a beginner. My only issue is the pinpointing. It could be better by focusing the pinpoint to the absolute center of the coil in that mode. But that is minor. Great machine that requires little tweaking. Turn it on and go. :)

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pennyfarmer
I love that picture of your son in the park metal detecting.
I would have that picture put on a T shirt.... and wear it when i metal detected ...a hat too .
Gary

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah.......my kids 5 and we do a lot of eyeball searching and treasure hunting. Last month he picked up a german reichs mark coin at a spot where someones coin collection was lost during the hurricane. I cant wait to get the same picture with my boy !! Awsome work pennyfarmer !! Nice memory captured on film.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The handlebar is like training wheels, what a smart thing to come up with, seems he has a great teacher/trainer/Dad. You are one of the good guys out there.

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice setup for the youngster...pretty soon you can send him under crawl spaces and decks. Just kidding....Useless it was his idea

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow,great looking guy and to think what his future hunting might bring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread