What's new

mylar flips??

billyg5955

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2008
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hey all, i have been doing ALOT of sorting with my wheat cents, i know there not worth much but i want them to be organized. Have any of you had any experience with these flips? i was just wondering where i could find them in bulk with a reasonable price. thank you and HAPPY HUNTING! -Bill
 
Upvote 0
I bought 2x2 flips from Wizard Coin Supply. $2 per hundred and good service.
 
Whatever you do, don't keep your numismatic or valuable silver coins in mylar flips. Gold is fine, but silver generally is not. I don't know about copper????

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
Whatever you do, don't keep your numismatic or valuable silver coins in mylar flips. Gold is fine, but silver generally is not. I don't know about copper????

Jim

You mean those 2X2 cardboard holders? I thought that's what they are for to protect the coins! Whats wrong with keeping them in there? I have all on my collection including a lot of silver in those cardboard holders. Please fill me in. Thanks!
 
jim4silver said:
Whatever you do, don't keep your numismatic or valuable silver coins in mylar flips. Gold is fine, but silver generally is not. I don't know about copper????
Jim

I was under the understanding that mylar was OK to store coins in? I thought it was the pvc plastic ones that degraded the coins?
 
Supposively mylar is the lastest greatest thing. The problem with silver is it easily gets tarnished. I've bought a lot of silver eagles that were kept in the original plastic 2x2's that are turning some wierd color. I also thought the cardboard 2x2's were ok. But it's hard to say what a coin will do.
 
The PVC and vinyl are the bad guys. Stay away from them. The cardboard holders are also junk. The thin layer of mylar degrades and becomes brittle. If you are going to store the coins, you want something that is suitable for archival purposes. SafTFlips are the only economical solution. One way to know if you have a quality flip is "snap" it (flick it with you index finger). Vinyl and PVC will be soft and won't "snap". Prolar snaps. Brent-Kreuger is one of the best coin-supply shops. Small guys but big players when it comes to supply. They also have some ridiculous prices on Garrett detectors.

http://www.brent-krueger.com/flips.html
 
Sorry, I was unaware of "mylar" flips and meant the PVC and vinyl flips like the kind my coin dealers give out when you buy a coin from them. I keep any important coins in airtites or intercept shields. They do cost about a buck each (you can get airtites for cheaper if you order from them online, but I buy mine at the coin store).

If you have a lot of pennies and such these would probably not be economical. I only have gold and BU silver plus my proof halves that I put in the holders. Any BU clad halves and 90% junk silver halves are in plastic tubes that are made of some material that is supposedly safe for coins. My junk 40%ers simply go into a ziplock freezer bag.

If they say mylar is fine than you should be OK with them.

Jim
 
I sent in a 1877 indian to be graded last month and ANACS wanted it submitted in a mylar flip, I called them and they told me it was the best thing to keep them in. I figured if they were a coin gradin company they should know something right?
 
Just a clarification. Most people recommend the Mylar. In actuality, the flips cannot be made of 100% mylar. Mylar is too brittle. The mylar flips that everyone recommends are actually made with a small amount of polyester. It is what allows you to bend the flip without it snapping in half. The technical term is Prolar. Just look for the SafTFlips.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom