jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at one point it looked like a Piece of Twisted Sheet Metal.
Perhaps from a Past Explosion it was sent into Orbit.
another angle it looks like a Tarp filled with space .
I would guess unless Nasa & The Government are Scared to death of It.
They already Know & for some reason just don't feel we deserve to know. all these years and they never did a Fly-By ?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not as far as I heard & the Fact the pic they show is Supposedly the Pic they Have ? I'd say they are Ignoring it .

of course I also wonder if Astronuts treat Space like Airline Pilots do. If they can look out the window and see a spot, It's a near collision/miss , and too close for comfort :tongue3:

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like swamp gas...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say it is either Nothing but Trash, Or it has already assumed control

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always rely on the increasingly inaccurately named “History” Channel for a good laugh. That’s a ‘trunnion cover’ which was lost by US astronauts Jerry Ross and Jim Newman during the first shuttle mission in support of assembly of the International Space Station in December 1998.

One of their EVA tasks was to install these thermal covers over the trunnion pins on the US Node-1 module of the space station. The pins had served to secure the module in the payload bay of the Space Shuttle Orbiter but were redundant after the module was deployed in position. The pins are stubby poles of metal that project from the module and leak heat into space, so they needed to be thermally insulated for power conservation.

During the spacewalk, the Shuttle Commander can be heard saying over the radio: "Jerry, one of the thermal covers got away from you" and a dismayed Jerry Ross replies: “How did it do that?... Jim saw a tether, I'll guarantee you. Where did it go?... It's out my [unfinished sentence]… I don't believe this.” Jim Newman then chips in with: “Jerry, which tether did it come off of?... I need to know which one not to trust.” Still images of the cover drifting away in a tumbling trajectory were captured over a period of two minutes, along with extensive video footage during which the crew can be heard discussing the problem and speculating on whether the spacewalkers would have a chance to grab it if it floated back.

It was some years before NASA released all of the information and it wasn’t until a 2014 interview that Ross explained: “I don’t remember which trunnion pin didn’t get covered. Jim Newman was supposed to put them all on from the foot restraint he was in on the end of the arm. But I was ahead of the timeline and they asked me to do one as a free floating task. I said OK and he handed it to me and I tethered to it (at least I thought so) and he untethered from it.”

Differential drag sucked the kinetic energy out of the cover and it quickly dropped to a lower and lower orbit. It was briefly detected by NORAD radars as the orbit decayed, re-entering the atmosphere within a week and burning up on 14th December 1998.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread