What's new

Mysterious small silver coin ID help Plz?

Benjamin52

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2011
Messages
436
Reaction score
695
Golden Thread
0
Location
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,
I went detecting in the woods close to a medieval monestery ruin here in Germany today.
I found this small (aprox 1.5cm) silver "coin"?
It has what looks like an arabic castle with an arc of dots above it on one side and a strange picture on the other with little dots going around too. It looks like it has seen some abuse and might have either been bigger or hammered imprecisely.
Any ID would be appreciated!
Any ideas how to clean it without ruining it?
Thanks for looking!
P_20160719_223800.webpP_20160719_223751.webp
P_20160719_223840.webpP_20160719_223821.webp
Some new pics
P_20160720_084801.webp
P_20160720_084753.webpP_20160720_084733.webp
P_20160720_084543.webpP_20160720_084606.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 18
I agree with JamieD on medieval German penny - here is a good resource for coins of Cologne and there is one very much like it on page 51.

http://www.numismatas.com/Forum/Pdf/David Ruckser/Coins of Cologne.pdf

Thanks for the ID guys, I posted on a German numismatic forum and they told me the coin is actually not the Pfennig (penny) but the slightly lighter (0.7g) and rarer Obol(Hälbling=halfling) from 1238-1261 withTitel Elect Köln, under Arch bishop Konrad von Hochstaden 1238-1261.

http://www.ma-shops.de/olding/item.php5?id=260902

Value might be over 250 EUR :D
 
Thanks for the ID guys, I posted on a German numismatic forum and they told me the coin is actually not the Pfennig (penny) but the slightly lighter (0.7g) and rarer Obol(Hälbling=halfling) from 1238-1261 withTitel Elect Köln, under Arch bishop Konrad von Hochstaden 1238-1261.

http://www.ma-shops.de/olding/item.php5?id=260902

Value might be over 250 EUR :D

That's great! And those second pics were much better. Congrats on a nice hammered silver
 
Never thought a coin with that much detail comes out a cologne mint. Very nice medieval hammered! :occasion14:
 
I beleive this is Byzantine. There is a cross on top of the Onion. I cant think of where else the blending of Christianity and Arabic architecture exited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
 
Scratch the above comment. It's clear it's the German one mentioned above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom