perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I lived in the Middle East a few years back and did a little bit of detecting. One of my finds was the below pictured silver, hammered coin, found holed and with a silver loop. I'm certain it is very old, but have not found a positive ID on it.

In a couple of other online forums, the date/origin was hypothesized from various people as:

1. "It is indeed Arabic/Islamic, and though I can't identify the exact date or issuer, the distinctive seriffed script dates from roughly the same time as the Crusades (AD 1100-1300)."

2. "Islamic acke. Holed is typical to see. I have several"

3. "looks post-mongol, but i can't make out a name. the left side is upside down. it has the kalima in the middle and the name of the first caliph abu bakr above it (it's typical for coins after the mongol invasion to have the names of the four rashidun caliphs around the kalima). the right side is turned 90' ccw. i can see al-sultan al-`adl, with a word below that i can't read. i too would love to know what it is."

4. "Perhaps Timur in Anatolia"

5. "I suspect it's golden horde, but i can't find a match."

Can anyone here identify the origin/date? TIA!

coin1.png
coin2.png

Hi all,

I lived in the Middle East a few years back and did a little bit of detecting. One of my finds was the below pictured silver, hammered coin, found holed and with a silver loop. I'm certain it is very old, but have not found a positive ID on it.

In a couple of other online forums, the date/origin was hypothesized from various people as:

1. "It is indeed Arabic/Islamic, and though I can't identify the exact date or issuer, the distinctive seriffed script dates from roughly the same time as the Crusades (AD 1100-1300)."

2. "Islamic acke. Holed is typical to see. I have several"

3. "looks post-mongol, but i can't make out a name. the left side is upside down. it has the kalima in the middle and the name of the first caliph abu bakr above it (it's typical for coins after the mongol invasion to have the names of the four rashidun caliphs around the kalima). the right side is turned 90' ccw. i can see al-sultan al-`adl, with a word below that i can't read. i too would love to know what it is."

4. "Perhaps Timur in Anatolia"

5. "I suspect it's golden horde, but i can't find a match."

Can anyone here identify the origin/date? TIA!

View attachment 2126975View attachment 2126976
Can't help you with the coin but nice find. I lived in UAE and Kuwait for some time and didn't get at chance to detect, wish I could have. Congrats!

Upvote 0
Can't help you with the coin but nice find. I lived in UAE and Kuwait for some time and didn't get at chance to detect, wish I could have. Congrats!
Nice! I lived in the UAE as well (Dubai).

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back