What's new

Mystery Box ---Solved--- Mystery Box #2 ???

Fryy

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Naperville, IL
Found this box in my mother in laws attic. It's 5" x 5" square with a worn circle on top. Thought that would be an odd place for a handle. Any ideas? Age?
 

Attachments

  • boxa.gif
    boxa.gif
    128.8 KB · Views: 921
  • boxb.gif
    boxb.gif
    148.6 KB · Views: 864
  • boxbc.gif
    boxbc.gif
    112.1 KB · Views: 840
Re: Mystery Box

Looks like a turn of the century capacitor box for a telephone. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

Tony in SC said:
Looks like a turn of the century capacitor box for a telephone. Tony

I'm pretty sure Tony is right.

Good call.

w
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

Possible humidor for pipe tobacco and cigars..
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

Possibly some sort of music box .Could have had a dancer spinning on top .the keyhole for winding the mech.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

No marks on it anywhere. I think it's too small for cigars. No screw holes inside for music box or phone parts. Where's PBK?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

It looks like a lockable "Tea Chest". At one time tea was a very valuable commodity. It was often kept in lock boxes in the home to prevent theft. The dovetail work and construction appear to be hand done. Very nice box. I'm guessing but I say dates from the early 1800's.

Try this site http://www.salleaantiques.com/tea_caddies.html


Jim
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

i was just at an antique store that had a magneto to fit that box...early ma bell. this mag was mounted on a piece of oak that would fit that box...
there are four screw holes in the lid...something was fastened there...the magneto i looked at did not have the four screw holes? maybe insulation to prevent dust entering the magneto?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

I would just take the whole tea box, if I wanted in it so bad :tongue3: I say it was granny's treasure chest.......NGE
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

There's been some really good answers here so far but I'm leaning toward Tony's ID.

phone.webp

Neat box though!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

It might be a container for a Quack Medical Device ???
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

Another Pic
Western Electric were early wooden phone makers.

Could also be American Telephone and Telegraph (ATT).

This pic depects one kind of transmitter attachment, not like the one in the original photo.
 

Attachments

  • we293-mdg-300.webp
    we293-mdg-300.webp
    9 KB · Views: 977
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

Fryy said:
And I cant figure why it needs a key lock...
Yes, the fact that it locks ... bugs me . Ive never seen an old phone that had a lock-box . I don't think they had to worry about wire-taps back in those days ?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

mojjax said:
Fryy said:
And I cant figure why it needs a key lock...
Yes, the fact that it locks ... bugs me . Ive never seen an old phone that had a lock-box . I don't think they had to worry about wire-taps back in those days ?

Probably to keep it from "spilling it's guts" when the kids raced to the phone to listen in on the "party line" :D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

Here's a thought. What if a guy working at the box phone plant ask his boss for a box unfinished so he could use it at home. Then put a lock on it and gave it to his wife for Christmas. Stranger things could happen. I mean this box has darn near the same profile. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • phonebox.gif
    phonebox.gif
    108.4 KB · Views: 555
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box

It's not a lock as you would think as a lock
It had a screw that went through it that had a latch attachment on the inside of the box to keep the "guts" inside.
 

Attachments

  • WoodenTrans5.webp
    WoodenTrans5.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 567
  • WoodenTrans4.webp
    WoodenTrans4.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 548
  • WoodenTrans.webp
    WoodenTrans.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 538
Upvote 0
Re: Mystery Box #2

Tony, Wild rider,
Nice job. My wife is amazed! How about another mystery box challenge?
This one is 8" wide, 2.5" deep and just less than 2" high on inside when closed.
My first thought was a cigar box. There is a push button to open. Or could be specialty tool box.
Happy New Year!
 

Attachments

  • box1.gif
    box1.gif
    126.5 KB · Views: 481
  • box2.gif
    box2.gif
    184.5 KB · Views: 517
  • box3.gif
    box3.gif
    167.5 KB · Views: 479
Upvote 0
Fryy said:
Tony, Wild rider,
Nice job. My wife is amazed! How about another mystery box challenge?
This one is 8" wide, 2.5" deep and just less than 2" high on inside when closed.
My first thought was a cigar box. There is a push button to open. Or could be specialty tool box.
Happy New Year!

Well, I can say I've seen the telephones, but I haven't seen a box like that.
Maybe someone else can jump in and ID it for you.

wildrider
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom