Mystery Compact, Silver Earing, And A bunch Of Relics

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone. Did a little hunting this weekend. Just me and my boy though. Lance sat this one out so he could sign up for baseball.

Saturday mourning me and my son went up the street to a small cabin site in the woods. We only hunted for about 1 hr and a half. Family had other plans for me that day. It was slow like I figured it would be. But you never know.

Sunday we went down to the site I call the trading post. It was slow but there was metal to be dug. I found a neat silver earing with a bunch of green stones in it. I got one wheat down there to.

I continued to hunt when I got a rather nice loud 93 hit on the dfx. I started to dig and got down about 8 inches and nothing had come out of the hole yet. I noticed 2 red bricks in the hole. I took them out and was still getting a loud hit. I started to dig the base of the hole out. I hit metal and stopped at about 11 or 12 inches. I pulled out this compact.

I couldn't open it but I was interested in what may be in it. After seeing J.D's gold coin and the manner this was buried I was wondering. I have found other similar items buried this was. After you find one cache you never doubt things anymore.

I got home cleaned up and was ready to open it up. I got the first door open to find a broken mirror and nothing else. But wait this one had a double door in it. I thought for sure they stashed away a few coins in here. I got the second door open to find either a picture or a old note from the 1800's. Like a 25 cent bill. It was so old it just disintegrated.

Maybe next time. It was a very slow weekend for me. So for those who think I always find stuff I don't. There are days I come home with very little like this past weekend. It was still fun though and good to get out in this nice weather.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Compact.jpg
    Compact.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 417
  • Compact open.jpg
    Compact open.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Silver earing.jpg
    Silver earing.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 412
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Here are the relics from the 2 sites over the weekend.

HH Jer

Attachments

• Compact relics.jpg
    Compact relics.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 427
  • Compact relics 1.jpg
    Compact relics 1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 409

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting finds...maybe next time you'll find a compact with a gold coin. Good Luck!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Jer, great hunting for sure! Those compacts are exciting finds. I got lucky with my first, compact contained a flint and steel with some rotted cloth to strike a fire, under the goodies were a pair of gold earrings stamped 14K. Blew my hopes of a great relic dating a site at 1772 in Ohio, compact was probably dropped by a re-enactor. Can't wait to find another compact, as a matter of fact, I can't wait till I can get out detecting, frozen hard here! HH, Mike

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat compact!

I'd say you had a pretty good hunt!

;)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Too bad about the compact there jer..Bet you were itchin' all the way home.Nice find's anway,alway's lookin' forward to your post.HH!!

R

rb

Thoses nice little compacts are always fun to find. Just hoping that there is something special in it... HH RB

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
I dunno...but...those stones in the earring look like they might be peridot.
Great hunt, Nice going ;)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Hey Jeremy. ... But wasn't the weather great? We usually don't even get days like we have had until April. Maybe it will be a warm winter.

But you did find stuff. Just didn't score big. You probably just needed to swing that coil one more time. ;) I like those old keys.

Nate and I had a tough couple hunts. We managed 7 wheats but no silver. :P I think we need to start going to some new spots. While we were detecting we met another treasure hunter(didn't have his detector). The guy told us about how he started in the 70's and proceeded to tell us what he found in some of the parks we have hit. Barber coinage, Indians, V nickels, etc. Wow it must have been exciting when metal detectors first came out!

Anyway, I did find one nice relic but I don't know if it's worth posting.

Also, I ordered the 1400DD coil for Nate. He gave me $60 toward it.

later and HH

Mirage(Bob)

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am not certain if the silver item with the green stones is a earing. I was just guessing that's what it was. No sign of a post or anything on it. The stones have a nice sparkle to them.

That's cool Bob that you picked up the coil. I got mine from kelley co for 210.00 shipped. I like the coil alot. I'm sure Nate will to. Your really gonna have to be on your hunting game to keep up with him now. You might want to leave a hour earlier. This coil can cover some area.

This wasn't my first compact but I will say it was burried in a real shady manner. So that's why I got thinkin. The last time I found a sealed box it was a cache. I hunted all day and didn't think twice as to what was in it. That's how it happens when you least expect it.

If you put your time in your gonna make the finds. It's a hit and miss game. I like to hit more than miss though. I put alot of time in and that's how you come across good sites. You always have to be out testing.

HH Jeremy

N

Newline

I think this is a great haul. It's never really about cash value to me personally. I like to find the old rusty items anyway. Of course I wouldn't mind a cache here or there but still, I'd bet that the thrill of THINKING there might be something in the compact was almost as good as if something HAD been there. Almost. Congrats still. --------Newline

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Nice stuff Jer,,, WTG!!!
I like the old key...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice compact, Jer. You showed us everything! :)

Do you keep everything? I find myself throwing out more and more. I hope someday I don't regret it!

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
i am wondering if the compact and the hinge with the diamond shape in it were located at the same site as the bricks. i too found a compact with diamond inscribed into it. the hinge might be a pointer i was wondering if you remember where that hinge was found and which direction it pointed? have you found any metal hoops or rings for barrels.what stater did you find these in? do you have the bricks? were they red or grey? any stones with vertical drill holes nearby? kiddrock33

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys. Your right Newline even though it wasn't filled with treasure it was fun wondering. That's what keeps me looking. That next one could be a heart stopper.

Yeah Lisa, I basically keep everything except garbage. If it's metal it gets kept. I know most of it's junk. But my luck I'll start throwing stuff away and find out I had a 300 yr old shot gun shell worth a million lol. There have been times were I have found stuff thought it was junk and looked over it more to find out it was something. I just fill large buckets and store them in the basement.

The compact was very deep. It wouldn't have sank that deep. It was put there by someone. The bricks were red one's. The compact was found about 10 ft away from were the oldest cellar hole stood. The hindge was also found right in the back yard of the place. Not more than a few feet away from were a door may have been. Yes I remember were it was pointed. I found 3 early large cents at the site and a 1787 new jersey copper there also.

So I had hope that maybe this is were they stashed a few silver peices for a rainy day. No old silver was found at the site. Just a 44 merc witch I think was lost by hunters or kids in the area who used to use the creek as a swiming hole. The compact was found in pennsylvania.

It's funny how you can miss things at sites. I have hunted this place about 10 times and missed it. Not becuase I didn't follow a pattern. I did one of those brush hunts. That is when the good area's have been cleaned out. I go to all the rougher area's around the site and that's how it was found. The earing was found very close to the compact. It was actually mixed in the hole with a shotgun shell bottom.

They must have been doing alot of shooting right ouside the place. There are tons of bullets. I wonder if there were any problems with indians at those times at this site. Indians have been known to burn cabins kill babies and also force these early settlers to run to the fort nearby. I have alot of books that descibe how these early settlers lived.

HH Jeremy?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread