What's new

Mystery find

rsilva02667

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2014
Messages
353
Reaction score
910
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3170.webp IMG_3171.webp
Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Found at a 1780 house in Massachusetts. I believe it’s copper. Thanks for looking and happy hunting.
 
I think we need to know if it comes apart..at the ribbed end, before it could be a "holder". You could put needles in the small hole one at a time and "shake" them out, but, if it was worn/carried/hung from the end with the hole/loop the needles would fall out...???
 
Upvote 0
Yes...This Would Be The Type Of Needle Storage Case...Found On Oak Island!

As others have alluded to...this appears to be an Ancient Brass Needle Storage Case.

This was the ladies...fisherman's case...containing all she would need to sew with... within her pocket.

The small top piece should come off and was used as a Thimble.

The groved lines around the Thimble was used to wrap and hold the Thread.

Needles and more Thread were placed inside.

Now if you could just find the owner to Mend Your socks!

Needle Storage Case.webp
 
Upvote 0
My guess is some type of match safe / case with a striker on the end - especially if it comes apart. Maybe the large hole was for a throng so you could wear it around your neck. But I can't explain the small hole on the end - but that doesn't matter if the whole thing doesn't come apart in some manner. Have you tried filling it with water to see if its hollow? If its hollow, it must come apart because there would be no way to hollow it out otherwise. (Maybe) ???
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope no one minds that I cleaned up the image. I'll bet you a dollar it comes apart between the groves and the main body - but it might be stuck. ???


Mystery Item.webp

Mystery Item.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
PS

If all else fails, blow through the small hole on the end and see if it whistles

Whistle English Police 19th Century.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom