Mystery hunk of metal

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Today I went exploring with my new Treasure Mobile. Two weeks ago I purchased a 2012 Polaris Ranger. This thing is AWSOME when it comes to getting me off the beaten path !

I have located a few cellar holes and have been hitting them a little bit, waiting for the fall frost to kill back the weeds. I have picked out a few buttons, one Indian Head Cent and a suspender clasp in my last two hunts. Today I hunted the old road leading up to these new sites. Right in the middle of the road I was getting a 42-44 on my Minelab. I was thinking Large cent or can slaw. I almost gave up...... 8-10 inches down I pulled up this hunk of metal. I am not really sure what it is. Fresh from the ground it seemed to have a green patina like copper would have. I have dug a hunk of copper before. This is not copper. My best guess is that it weighs close to 2 pounds. I really dont think that it is lead, although I am no expert. I usually melt my lead down into bars and give them to a buddy of mine who uses them on his race car. This hunk does not "feel" the same as lead when whacked with a hammer or when a file is run accross it. Much harder than lead.

I am open to any and all suggestions on what you may think it is. Could it be silver or am I hopeing too hard?

VPR

Attachments

• 011_1_2_1.JPG
    011_1_2_1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 012_1_1.JPG
    012_1_1.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 016_1_1.JPG
    016_1_1.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 017_1_1.JPG
    017_1_1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 022_1_1.JPG
    022_1_1.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 1
OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
A magnet will not stick to this. My best guess is that it weighs 24-26 ounces. That is compared to my 20 oz Estwing hammer. I have no way to accurately weigh this right now. If this were a glob of melted can or aluminum I would think that it would weigh cosiderably less. It is heavy like lead but much harder.
What ever this is it is not "modern". Dug at 8-10 inches deep in an old road that is now an atv trail, atleat two miles in the woods, within 500 yards of two different colonial era cellar holes.
There seems to be some sort of green patina on parts of it, much like you might see on something copper that has been buried for a long time.

VPR

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
As I stated above, I usually melt my lead and pour it into ingots for a friend of mine. This being said, I have melted and poured about 40 pounds of lead in the last few years with a propane torch. it would only take 10 or 15 minutes to completely melt a chunk of lead this size and pour an ingot.

I tried to melt a small "finger" of metal sticking off the side of this chunk. After 20 minutes the "finger" was red hot but still solid. I have tried melting a silver coin with a propane torch with similar results. The coin will get red hot but the propane will not burn hot enough to melt the silver.
I will be taking this chunk to be tested in the next day or so.

VPR

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
I reckon it might be pewter, but I hope it is silver. The green oxidation should be a good clue to something. It looks like silver, but it may be tin.

maybe the clue is in where you found it. Not hard to get something that weight to go down that distance over time with foot horse, cart vehicle traffic. How old the area?

If I was to have one guess, a conglomerate of metals from an incinerator.

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I agree. Its iron. I find those quite often.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think iron, that far / long in the ground would be rusty.

A simple specific gravity test will tell you, no scales, take it to the post office, they will weigh it for you. (in grams) next find out it's volume. Put it in a container fill with water, remove this item, calculate how much volume is now "missing" from the container. volume in cubic centimeters. A square container with straight sides makes math easier.

Divide weight (g) by volume (cc) and you have specific gravity.

SG for Silver is 10.49
Lead is 11.3
Etc. you can look those up here Solids and Metals - Specific Gravities

Done as accurately as you can this will tell you what you have.

OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Today I drove to a local jewelery store to have this tested..... Closed Monday and Tuesday:tongue3: Check back tomorrow and I should have the answer as to if it is silver or not.
I was able to weigh it today, 28.35 oz. Boy do I hope this is silver !

VPR

CladMagnet

Oct 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks kinda like what i found last week mine didnt have as much green but the grayish black looks the same and it checked 800 to 925 silver only 4 1/2 oz but i was glad to have it.... good luck
Today I drove to a local jewelery store to have this tested..... Closed Monday and Tuesday:tongue3: Check back tomorrow and I should have the answer as to if it is silver or not.
I was able to weigh it today, 28.35 oz. Boy do I hope this is silver !

VPR

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 288
OP
OP
VERMONTPACKRAT

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Looks kinda like what i found last week mine didnt have as much green but the grayish black looks the same and it checked 800 to 925 silver only 4 1/2 oz but i was glad to have it.... good luck

Your silver looks pretty sweet!! Do you think its coin silver or maybe some melted flatware, spoons, forks, etc? I would love to hear the story behind your "hunk" of silver.

VPR

P.S. I never get tired of typing the word SILVER :headbang:

ironman

Aug 16, 2012
The Woodlands,Texas
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well not to chafe the subject but I know what u mean about ur ranger I bought a rzr xp 900 about 3mnths ago lol. But nice find can't wait to hear what it is

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has the characteristic shape of a meteorite. In that case, I could be worth considerably more than silver and if it turns out to be a meteor, I would pound that area of the "fall" alot more.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it is silver or a meteorite !! I have a polaris 700 it takes me way back in the woods and you can carry the farm with you. Good luck!!!
HH
TnMtns

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one side looks "somewhat" meteorite like, AND he's already said non-magnetic that makes it 95% not a meteorite. Those two facts make it almost 100% not a meteorite.

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one side looks "somewhat" meteorite like, AND he's already said non-magnetic that makes it 95% not a meteorite. Those two facts make it almost 100% not a meteorite.

If you have a rock that DOES attract a magnet, its probably not a meteorite because magnetite-rich Earth rocks are much more common than meteorites. Cut or break it open. If it has lots of metal flecks or veins like these ordinary chondrites, then it might be a meteorite (but industrial slags sometimes contain metal).

If you have a rock that IS NOT magnetic, it could be a meteorite, but the probability is exceedingly small because nonmagnetic Earth rocks are exceedingly more common than any kind of meteorite.

some meteorites are magnetic, some are not

Some Meteorite Realities

How To Identify A Meteorite

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that deep, it may be a meteorite.....???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread