Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mystery Mauling..... UPDATE!!!

The dog pictured is alive and trying to be active and loving… he's still hurting and we're trying to help him. He can't get up now easily or move much but wags his tail and wants attention and love'in. I'd like him back outside but he can't make it now. He sits up now (NO WALKING) and ate some table scrapes and lies right back down without a step. I'd like to know what happened….?????

I live in a very rural area in Hickman Co. TN. My wife and I enjoy this totally wooded environment. There are few homes close to ours and there is only 1000's of acres of ridges, gully's and woods around us. People have dropped off dogs around this area since we moved here 20 years ago. We take them in. We vet, feed, frontline and "fixed" each and every one at great expense. At present time we have 7 dogs of many mixed breeds. 4 dogs are over 60 lbs. w/2 over 100. Then we have Ike & Mike (brothers) around 40 lbs. each (last arrivals). Ike & Mike were feral dogs and it took us a LONG time to get them close and tamer. All these dogs roam freely all over this surrounding environment. I have seen these dogs chase coons, rabbits, squirrels, armadillos, skunks, opossums, turkeys, coyotes, lizards, moles and yes I've seen them go after deer. If it moves there on it. But it's usually a short lived chase when one gives the "howl" (game on) and there're back very soon.

Last night around 8:00 pm (dark) 6 dogs were outside and pacing back and forth on deck in front of the slider door which was very unusual. Then the 120 lb. boxer started barking from inside the house along with the black lab. I went outside to "look" and they continued to pace but no "takers" on leaving the deck. But, they all were looking in the same direction (very unusual). Finally I let the boxer and lab out but they didn't leave either and all barking ceased. My son and I went back inside to the TV while watching the dogs pace. Finally Mike took off running and jumped off the end of the deck and dove into the woods with nobody following. Activity then picked up but NO dog followed still. Activity picked up because Mike was screaming for help. Within minutes Mike walked/crawled back up onto the deck into light and was bleeding badly from a front leg wound and then collapsed. He was shaking uncontrollably and never uttered a sound. 2 dogs jumped off the deck but did nothing and were quickly back.

We took a flashlight out to look Mike over. He did NOT want us to touch his bleeding wound or anything (or else). I have dog houses for all upon deck. We watched for about 1 hr. and Mike made his way into a dog house slowly. This morning we called Mike out and he S L O W L Y made his way into our house (15 ft.) and collapsed again. His cut leg is about 1" long and deep but external bleeding has stopped. But when he laid down you could see where something had slapped his right side HARD by the shoulder and then left claw marks all the way down to his hindquarters. And something had grabbed him behind the neck and torn a LOT of fur and skin "like" from a shaking motion. Now, while this dog sounds domesticated don't be confused… he does love, need and want us but it's still on his terms or I would do a lot more.

Ok….. Mike getting his ass tore up is one thing. But for all the other seasoned "hard core critter chasing dogs" here I'd like to know what scared them so bad not one would help or give chase? And they were scared… the whole "pack"…? They wanted back into the house after Mike's attack and that is NOT NORMAL. Most of the time I'll hear them 2-3 ridges over chasing something. What happened to "Mike"…?

QUESTION: What in middle TN. area would do this to a seasoned tight group of dogs and leave these marks onup my dog? All bears are east of my area (I'm told). And... I'm told there are no lions of any type in this area also (I have another opinion).

Attachments

• S6300015.JPG
    S6300015.JPG
    825.5 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a bear to me………dogs here act like your dogs did and the claw marks are bear like…….

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were is Kuger, I'm going for a Black Bear to...the dog sounds like he is traumatised. I hope he recovers soon.

SS

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a bear to me………dogs here act like your dogs did and the claw marks are bear like…….

I can't relate to other dogs and/or areas but I have NEVER seen my dogs act like they did last night. They were scared. The dog "Mike" just got up and it took him 2-3 minutes to make it to the slider door on his own to go out and this was only a distance of 20 ft. He did this on his own also all of sudden. And when he made it out he laid right down again. He was very hot from being inside I believe. I just moved "his" doghouse about 20 ft. closer for him to get in. I hope he isn't confused....??? My son and I checked him over within the last 15 minutes and he does NOT WANT HIS SHOULDER/RID AREA touched.

Maybe we do got bears moving in this area now...???? But why wouldn't the other dogs help if they've never dealt with a bear before...? (I know there're smarter than me!!!)

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were is Kuger, I'm going for a Black Bear to...the dog sounds like he is traumatised. I hope he recovers soon.

SS

He is traumatized... and I only wish he'd let us check him out further. But thanks guy....

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was either a black bear, a bobcat, wild hog, or a rare cougar. I'd lean towards the first 2 for sure. Don't be fooled, there are cougars in TN.

Tennessee Watchable Wildlife | Mammals - LARGE

We had a pair of Rottweiler's (male / female) about 9 years ago. They both trotted off into the woods from here one spring day. They didn't return shortly. 3 days later my wife yells... hey "Tequila" is coming up the driveway. I went out to meet her. Her right ear was shredded. Her nose was "hanging" on. She had an obvious broken toe (straight up pointed). And all the hair on her neck, chest and underside was shredded off along with a bunch of skin and hide. The larger male, "Bubba" never returned. Took her to vet. He stated it looks like she tangled with a bobcat. He said "they" probably came across a bobcat kill along with her kittens and she mauled the male badly and then took her on. He said Tequila probably stayed with Bubba till he passed and then came home. I said "2 Rottweiler's against a bobcat"...??? and he said NO CONSTEST". She then became a "deck dog". Bear.. maybe? Bobcat.. yea there here for sure. Hog... if not here very close. Cougars... damn right! Saw one in the fall of 2002 5-6 hundred yards from my house. Only once though... only time I've ever seen one in person (no zoo).

But for ALL my dogs to be scared at once is very unusual. "Mike" ate some table scraps tonight (good I believe) and still will barely move or make a sound.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speedy recovery for Mike.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speedy recovery for Mike.

Thanks... "Mike" and his brother "Ike" were both feral dogs 4 years ago. It took us a L O N G time to get them into the yard, upon deck and now they come into house back and forth. I'd like to do more for Mike but HE decides. He will not get into car (let alone now) and they will NOT allow themselves to be picked up either. I believe Mikes shoulder and/or upper leg is broken. He will NOT allow it to be touched or helped. I really need some good "knock out drugs" for him and then a muzzle. Wife's taking another dog to vet today so we'll see what she brings back.

I'm not scared at all on what's out there in my surrounding woods but I'd sure like to know for SURE what grabbed him across the shoulders which left him covered in slobber all the way across. The pic above only shows another spot covered in slobber and a raking down his side. The only thing I can see that big would be a bear or cougar. But I thought all bears were well east of me...???? Cougar, not so... My "brave" dogs all turned into pups whatever it was. I live in Hickman Co. TN. on the east central side near Centerville. Thanks for the feedback guys.... Brad

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you it was no Bobcat,and I doubt it was a bear...honestly inmho I would say RARE lion,or coyotes...yes,coyotes especially this time of year will lure,gang up and can kill a dog

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Had a large male Lab several years ago who run with the neighbor's Red Bone. The neighbor called me one Saturday morning to say my Lab was hurt bad and was under his shed. When I got there the dog's right front leg was just hanging below his shoulder, the bone was severed and a large part bitten out. the Red Bone had a 8" long cut on his side... neighbor said it sounded like a dog fight the night before.
I made the mistake of taking my daughter with me as my thought was to put him down...
but she said she would rather have a three-legged dog than none at all.

The vet said it was a bear, which we had seen two in weeks past.
To remove and doctor the dog's leg came to $450... but Tonya had her three-legged dog a few more years.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps a pack of coyotes. It sounds to me like more than one animal was involved, and probably why the other dogs wouldn't join the fight.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope he recovers soon and there's no major damage. The other dogs will help Mike get over his fear. I was going to say it was either a big cat or bear. They are the only two I know of that use claws and teeth with a shaking motion. All the other dogs knew they were out matched, but Mike challenged it, and he's lucky to be alive. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for Mike. You and the family may want to be more cautious and armed when out and about, sounds like it wasn't that far from your house. Bears are looking for food and a place to stay this time of year.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MAJOR UPDATE: "Mike" the 44 lb. mauled dog was in bad shape about a hour past my last post. Yelling, whining and whimpering a lot and loud. My son, wife and I wanted to DO SOMETHING but Mikes past behavior was foremost in our minds. Finally my son (33 years old) said I'll pick'em up. He did and Mike did NOTHING. Got him into car, called vet and left. Got to vet... then muzzled and drugged him. Later x-rays showed no broken bones. But while he was "out" vet said he was able to look him all over. He stated that Mike has a lot of deep canine bites to the bone all over on his neck, shoulder, leg, back and ribs. He said they appear to be coyote bites or "wild dogs". I said I've watched my dogs chase coyotes all over these ridges. He said not alpha males or a pair of them. He said that's probably why none of your "normal" critter getting dogs would engage... because they knew better...? Hard to believe for me but he said the bite marks are from large coyotes or dogs. He said that also explains why the dog was drenched with slobber when he returned because there were more than one... and he was drenched.

So now we have antibiotics and some new pain pills.... and he said Mike should start to be better in 3-4 days. I have coyotes ALL OVER my area but now have a new perspective on these animals.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAJOR UPDATE: "Mike" the 44 lb. mauled dog was in bad shape about a hour past my last post. Yelling, whining and whimpering a lot and loud. My son, wife and I wanted to DO SOMETHING but Mikes past behavior was foremost in our minds. Finally my son (33 years old) said I'll pick'em up. He did and Mike did NOTHING. Got him into car, called vet and left. Got to vet... then muzzled and drugged him. Later x-rays showed no broken bones. But while he was "out" vet said he was able to look him all over. He stated that Mike has a lot of deep canine bites to the bone all over on his neck, shoulder, leg, back and ribs. He said they appear to be coyote bites or "wild dogs". I said I've watched my dogs chase coyotes all over these ridges. He said not alpha males or a pair of them. He said that's probably why none of your "normal" critter getting dogs would engage... because they knew better...? Hard to believe for me but he said the bite marks are from large coyotes or dogs. He said that also explains why the dog was drenched with slobber when he returned because there were more than one... and he was drenched.

So now we have antibiotics and some new pain pills.... and he said Mike should start to be better in 3-4 days. I have coyotes ALL OVER my area but now have a new perspective on these animals.
....................8-):icon_thumleft:......told ya

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope he recovers soon and there's no major damage. The other dogs will help Mike get over his fear. I was going to say it was either a big cat or bear. They are the only two I know of that use claws and teeth with a shaking motion. All the other dogs knew they were out matched, but Mike challenged it, and he's lucky to be alive. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for Mike. You and the family may want to be more cautious and armed when out and about, sounds like it wasn't that far from your house. Bears are looking for food and a place to stay this time of year.

"sounds like it wasn't that far from your house"... We literally cut out a lot from an entirely wooded area with home in the middle. No more than 30 yards in any direction to hit an all wooded area. And the vet said Mike is LUCKY to be alive and it's probably only because the other dogs were close and they just wanted to pass through. But thanks for all the comments guys. And I have in the past had other dogs come up missing and now it makes me wonder if coyotes are responsible.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you took Mike to the vet...he needed doctoring. I have coyotes around here too, my 3 cattle dogs killed a coyote near our hay barn.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to read about Mike! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!
Time to purchase a few tree cams so you can see what's walking around in the woods!

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope Mike has a speedy recovery. I lost a large male Lab in 2004 to coyotes. The first time I knew it was happening, I had let him outside and had to go look for him when he didn't come in as usual. He was following a female coyote that was in heat and was about to be ganged by a larger group who were paralleling him. I kept him close for a while and then about six months later they got him. When I found him he was much as you described, covered in bites around the neck and head area and covered in drool. He was alive when I found him but died soon after. I have become a coyote assassin since then. I already had a FoxPro digital caller and .22-250 I use for predator calling when fur is prime, but I call and hunt them year around now. I know I will never get them all but I keep them thinned and afraid!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread