Mystery Metal, opinions please (update)

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I sent some samples to my buddy tman who has access to test equipment that will tell you what the metals composition is. 95% Zinc and 5% Lead. nothing to do now but keep looking.

I was at my in-laws last night in the country. I took some time to take the Ace250 out to a groove of trees that had a clearing in. The groove is right next to a small house that was for the hired men in its day. I found alot of trash items, nails, misc. steel, an old three pronged fork etc... Occasionally I would get a good nickel or dime signal and I would dig up these clumps of metal. I was baffled as to what they were.
A while later I got a signal and dug up the object that looks like a small bat, it is 1 1/2" long and 5/8" wide at its widest point. It occurred to me that someone had probably been doing their own casting at this spot. the "bat" appears to be aluminum.
What is odd here is that some of the clumps of metal were very light in comparison to other clumps relatively the same size. I broke some chunks off of the samples and some appear very dull in nature and they are the lighter samples. I am guessing that these are aluminum also. These are in the right hand pile.
The heavier ones are very shiny when samples are broken off of them. To give you a rough idea of the weight difference in the material, look at the "bat" and keep in mind its size 1 1/2"X5/8", it weighs 7 ounces. Now look at the small round sample at the top of the left hand pile in the picture. This sample is 3/4"X3/4"X3/16" at its thickest and it weighs 9 ounces. Less metal but more weight. None of the materials are magnetic BTW, and no rust.
Could I have silver here or lead, but it's not soft like lead. Anyone have any ideas. I have given as much detail as I can think of. If you want to know anything else that might help, let me know and I will try to do it. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC00364_edited2.jpg
    DSC00364_edited2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 763
Upvote 0

gtfd47

Apr 10, 2007
Northeast MA
Detector(s) used
Whites spectrum xlt
Re: Mystery Metal, opinions please (with Picture)

Looks like old solder slag to me, like from casting or plumbing. The older stuff was mostly lead, but I think zinc also was used, or could be melted cans, you did say there was alot of trash in the area

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree that is is probably lead slag. I've cast lead objects myself, and the oxidized lead and "scum" removed for the surface looked like that.

silverhunter/dowser

Oct 5, 2004
columbia sc

i pick up that stuff in my grandpa's field, both types.It is burn pile slag. usally more recent 20-30 years old.
silverhunter HH :)

OP
OP
cottonjim

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

silverhunter/dowser said:
i pick up that stuff in my grandpa's field, both types.It is burn pile slag. usally more recent 20-30 years old.
silverhunter HH :)

That is a real possibility, there are several different burn pit sites on this property that I am aware of, who knows how many that I din't know of. Explains the melted look of everything, but doesn't add up with the aluminum cast "bat" I found.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

The bat is probably part of a mortar and pestle. I would guess that from the light weight, it would be more for apothecary (pharmeceutical) use than ore grinding.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

The "bat" could have been part of a drawer pull. Maybe they burned the house down when it fell into disrepair rather than tearing it down. All sorts of metals could be around those types of sites. -Noodle

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Its hard to tell from the angle of the picture but your little "bat" looks a lot like a handle for a file or a rasp.

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage

The bat could also be a handle for the rope or chain that went to an old fashioned overhead toilet tank. If it's aluminum it would survive the heat of fire up to about 1220*F Whereas the lead would be melted at about 620*F. Just babeling.
Bluezman

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Yeap, definitely lead slag. I dig a lot of it and it looks exactly like that.

OP
OP
cottonjim

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

gtfd47 said:
Looks like old solder slag to me, like from casting or plumbing. The older stuff was mostly lead, but I think zinc also was used, or could be melted cans, you did say there was alot of trash in the area

Good Guess, thanks.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually dont think it is lead slag. I dig PLENTY of lead slag at my Civil War sites and lead doesnt burn and blacken like that. I agree that it looks newer like fire pit slag from aluminum cans.

OP
OP
cottonjim

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
{Sentinel} said:
I actually dont think it is lead slag. I dig PLENTY of lead slag at my Civil War sites and lead doesnt burn and blacken like that. I agree that it looks newer like fire pit slag from aluminum cans.

It's 95% Zinc and 5% lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread