Mystery Object; Small, Heavy & I have no Clue..Need Help for ID...

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I attempted to squeeze in an after work hunt. It was 80 degrees and beautiful. Unfortunately, I was able to dig one strange target and a massive storm blew in and put an end to my plans. I haven't gotten a rain cover for my new detector yet and ran out of the woods with the box stuffed under my tee shirt to keep it dry. It really poured and the wind was incredible for about maybe 3 minutes. By the time I made it back to my car I was completely drenched.

Anyway, this thing is smaller than a quarter, at least 2 1/2 times as thick and very heavy. It feels like lead yet rang up in the zinc range at 77-79. Given the location and depth (at least 6-7 inches), I believe it's been underground for a very long time but I may be wrong. I dug it in an area maybe 20 ft. from a pile of 60's era beer bottles lying on the ground in the woods. I'll haul them out next time but it wasn't happening today. I had to get that detector out of the rain.

So anyway, here it is; front and back...

Heavy Mystery Object April 1 2016 001.JPG Heavy Mystery Object April 1 2016 002.JPG

And one shot alongside a quarter for reference....

Heavy Mystery Object April 1 2016 003.JPG

The front says "US Cust...and below that says "USG' or "USC"" and breaks off. I'm thinking maybe US customs and USG standing for "US Government".

Maybe it's some type of seal?? It's not a stamp of any kind because if it were it would read in reverse.

If anyone here has any clue what this may be I would love to know and would greatly appreciate any info.

Thanks for looking & HH......
The back says " IN BOND

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Its a lead seal.

Thanks. That makes this my very first lead seal.
So what exactly would be sealed with one of these and do you have any idea how old it could be??

Last edited:
Thanks. That makes this my very first lead seal.
So what exactly would be sealed with one of these and do you have any idea how old it could be??

Millions of items being imported or exported.

Could have been used on a boxcar, a semi, a shipping container or a lot of other containers stating the contents were inspected by US Customs and then sealed to show the contents were not altered or tampered with until they got to their final destination.

As for the age. I won't have a clue.

Could have been used on a boxcar, a semi, a shipping container or a lot of other containers stating the contents were inspected by US Customs and then sealed to show the contents were not altered or tampered with until they got to their final destination.

As for the age. I won't have a clue.

Thanks. Now I get it.
I still can't figure out why it rang up so high though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back