What's new

Mystery Ring. Platinum or White Gold?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
14,653
Reaction score
9,097
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it this evening in a rip tailing at low tide....no markings but I suspect it may be platinum. All I can tell you is that it was a very crisp, deeper & lower tone then I've ever had on the Excal before....lower and deeper then any of the gold or other alternative metals I've been finding, but the tone was very sharp and rich.....a classic "honk" if you will. Almost lost track of it on account of the small scoop as it kept sinking deeper & deeper on me. Finally got it on the desperate fifth try. (That bigger scoop can't get here soon enough!) When I get a chance I'll run it up to the trusted jeweler and have it checked. About 6 grams.
plat.webp
 
Upvote 0
It's a beautiful looking ring, bigscoop :hello2:...please keep us posted on the jeweler's report

Lorraine
 
Glad you were able to scoop up the ring . Nice looking ring . WTG
 
could be palladium - they dont properly mark palladium rings some times for some reason
you should be able tell by the weight - since platinum weighs more than gold
if you have a gold bout the same size and it weighs the same or less - then its not platinum
 
hi ,big scoop , nice find! please keep us posted when you get your bigger scoop. interested to see the difference HH steve
 
If you have a friend with a VLF and VDI numbers run their detector over it... platinum falls in the foil range....
 
could be palladium - they dont properly mark palladium rings some times for some reason
you should be able tell by the weight - since platinum weighs more than gold
if you have a gold bout the same size and it weighs the same or less - then its not platinum

Checked that last night....the mystery ring was a hair larger then the 14k but weighed about a half gram less then the gold. :icon_scratch:
I didn't even know they made rings out of palladium. I wouldn't know what one looked like if I saw it. :dontknow:
 
If it's platinum then the extraordinary weight will give it away.
Some years ago, I found two 950 Platinum rings in about 5 feet of water......didn't need my weight belt after that.
Tony.
 
I wish you luck also.
There's so many different kinds of rings.
I hope it's not some kind of steel.
Good luck.
 
Well, stopped by two different jewelers today and both were kinda....:icon_scratch:.....as to what the ring metal/metals really are. One said perhaps nickel and silver but then he turned around and said it was too hard for that. Second jeweler had no clue either....other then to say it wasn't platinum but it could be some sort of strange mix or combination. So......:dontknow:......all I learned today was that if it isn't marked, don't take it to either of those two jewelers. :laughing7: But whatever it is, it's probably not a precious metal or a very high grade of precious metal. I think I'll let the refinery decide the fate of this one.
 
thanks for the update, bigscoop..sorry that it wasn't a precious metal ( per two jewelers); let us know what the refinery says about it.

L
 
mystery metal. cool. could be alien? made from the mothership? very nice tho :)
 
another possible metal would be unmarked titanium............
 
I was going to suggest nickel - but did not want to put a damper on a possible good find and look foolish

these are rings from a Mex. trip last yr - 4 rings in the back row that look like similar metal - nickel
2 of them are actually marked NK - which Im guessing is what they are using to mark them
DSC00124.webp
 
this one was a real heart breaker - its huge and nickel
thought i had a nice white gold class ring when i saw it in my scoop
day4e.webp
 
According to one of the jewelers, "They're using so many different metal types and metal mixes now it's impossible to keep track of them all."
 
I found a "Cobolt Chrome" ring in January that looked similar. It was marked. Slightly less weight than 10k gold. Looked it up on the internet and retail was $200 plus. Since it fits me I might not sell it, but if I do, it will probably go onto ebay. Nice find, even if it isn't gold.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom