What's new

Mystery Stone Any Ideas?

jeramme

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2010
Messages
96
Reaction score
146
Golden Thread
0
Location
MN
Hi all, I found this piece near the river and have no idea what it is. Any ideas? I was thinking potentially a fossil, but the archaeology assistant at the museum suggested there was a chance it is worked, which I thought was unlikely...It looks like sandstone, but seems to be heavier and denser....thanks for your help!
 

Attachments

  • Fossill Front 1.webp
    Fossill Front 1.webp
    85.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Fossill Front 2.webp
    Fossill Front 2.webp
    328.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Fossill Back 1.webp
    Fossill Back 1.webp
    90.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Fossill Back 2.webp
    Fossill Back 2.webp
    336.9 KB · Views: 125
The part of the world you are in, it could be part of a fossil or it could be mud that turned to stone after it cracked. I would post it in the fossil forum on this site. ????
 
Thank you, I appreciate your insight. I will try the fossil forum
 
I think what you have there is a set of fossilized animal scutes. Could be armadillo or some other armored mammal. Mostly you find the large ones individually but many animals like armadillos and their ancestors had armored portions of their skulls which fossilized intact.

skull.webp
 
Doesn't look like petrified Bone to me. It might be but I don't see that from those pictures.
 
That is unusual. Has the look of an animal scute but I don't think it is.
 
May be a septarian concretion.

I initially thought +1 to that. For sure a septarian concretion and not a fossil. Looking more closely, I'm now less convinced. The cracks are perhaps not as randomly arranged as one might see in a concretion and not out of the question for scutes, although I see no evidence of bone/carapace/dermal armour structure.
 
Last edited:
The shell piece is most likely from a Glyptodon, [ Giant Armadillo ] Not sure about the piece in the last 2 pictures, but that " may " be from the same critter.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom