Mystery token secrets revealed!

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I previously posted about a very thin brass token I found at a stone house that dates back to the Civil War. I was frustrated by my inability to determine what the faint cursive inscription said on the back since that is what I enjoy most about this hobby - namely, allowing the artifacts to tell their story.

IMG_0028 (2).jpg Token 2.jpg Token.jpg

After visiting a coin shop and consulting with the proprietor, we decided that gently cleaning the token to reveal the inscription (typically a cardinal sin in this business) was necessary. I could make out just enough of the inscription to plug in a few letters and number into a Google search. Google then did the rest by pointing me to this article:

http://http://digitaleditions.walsworthprintgroup.com/publication/?i=506535&article_id=3064657&view=articleBrowser&ver=html5

The cursive inscription is apparently the signature of James Murdock, 165 Race Street, Ohio. It dates to 1875-1880. Murdock was a prolific Ohio Die Sinker. So prolific that if you have a railway token, coal scrip, or medal, there is a good chance it was made by one of the companies mentioned in this article.

Thanks to CaptEsteban for helping me identify a model T valve stem, to ToddsPoint, Icewing, ticndig, AARC, Charlie P. (NY), Tpmetal for their help identifying other items. Thanks to Treasurenet for providing such a great forum.

Upvote 23
where would we be without google?

Looks like the general size (and thinness) and material of the old 1890-1920 brewery tokens we find in SW PA. Congrats

Great I.D.! Congratulations, and thanks!

Very Nice research!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Gotta love the research. Sometimes it’s just as much fun as the hunt. Love the token. That’s a nice one

I read the story of James Murdock Jr. on your token find, vary impressive. It will help me with convincing a collector that metal in business card was in use for quite a while. The article has an abundance of information that any collector
will value. Thanks for all your research.

Bond

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back