Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Confederate Script I infantry button

Upvote 0

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a confederate Script I (infantry) button. Very nice find! Buttons like that don’t come up too often anymore. Consequently, the regular Block I is the most common variant, and the manuscript I is the most uncommon, yours would be right between them.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Daily_wanderer, I see that your button identification request is your very first post at Treasure Net. So, welcome to T-Net's "What Is It?" forum... the best place on the internet to get unknown objects CORRECTLY identified.

Your button's ID:
As others have already (correctly) said, it is a Confederate Infantry "Script I" button for an enlisted-man's uniform. (Enlisted-men's ranks were Private, Corporal, and Sergeant... meaning, the non-officer ranks.)

More specifically... although relic-diggers call the type of letter on you button a "Script I" -- the button-collector reference books say it is actually an Old English letter I.

Your button was manufactured in Britain, most probably by the firm of Smith. Kemp, & Wright of Birmingham England, specifically for export to the Confederacy. That being said...the majority of these "Script I" buttons have a backmark saying 'S. Isaacs Campbell & Company / 71 Jermyn St London" -- which was the name of the Export business company in Britain created by Confederate Government agents to purchase and export military supplies. You say you found it in North Texas. Therefore, it most likely entered Texas on a Blockade-runner ship in the harbor at Galveston Texas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
D.W., A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia. Great Save on the Confetrit' Script I button. As already said, these are pretty rare to find, and now you have one for your own collection. Continued Success to you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D
Mar 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so so much for the help. I've had it for months trying to figure it out. I'm very grateful and shared the news with the landowner (I'm a family friend of his). Hes asked me to come out and dig some more because of this button haha go figure! Thanks all for your help and support

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread