Any info on very old jug and bottle found together? (I'm not a bottle guy)

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The old jug has one interesting mark on it. See close up. Nothing else.

Obviously the bottle has seen better days. Found at same spot in 33 pieces. Took me two days, but I got it mostly back together.

This was from a pit on a Civil War campsite. New York button was with the broken bottle. I know NOTHING about clay, glass, ceramic (whatever it is) ware.

Age guesses? Value? Maker?

I can make out some writing on the broken bottle. My best guess is: B? R? HFIN=PR (?) LUS (?) E (?) Also two circles with a cross inside.

DSCN8440.jpg

DSCN8438.jpg

DSCN8439.jpg

DSCN8436.jpg

DSCN8416.jpg

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an awesome puzzle job you did there. There are some links on the Gin bottle post that should help. I haven’t figured out how to “Cher”?..what..lol?
Some one will help but really neat finds and repairs...

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job on restoring the clay bottle, its history will now live on for years to come. :thumbsup:
My first thought was these pieces are not North American in origin and they both look to be much earlier than the 1860s, likely early 19thc.
I'm thinking these vessels are possibly French or Germanic and were made for holding alcohol.
cheers.gif

Dave

Upvote 0

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have Two at home , dug them up in south Jersey. Don’t have pick now but I can take a photo later. I remember something about they used for water... mine have a stamp on them same as fyrffytr1 post.

Upvote 0

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, really nice finds. You win the award for best puzzle piece put her back together again award. Good job !

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can’t see the marks on the tall jug clearly, but I think your interpretation of “R? HFIN=PR (?) LUS (?) E (?)” may actually be “RHEINPREUSSEN” and what you perceive to be a cross (within two circles) is an anchor. If that turns out to be correct, then this is salt-glaze stoneware jug from Georg Kreuzberg.

Kreuzberg1.jpg Kreuzberg2.jpg

A naturally-sparkling mineral water spring was discovered by chance in Kreuzberg's vineyard in the Ahrweiler district of the Northern Rhineland of Germany in 1852 and he began bottling it in stoneware jugs from a supplier in Baumbach. The spring was named after St Apollinaris of Ravenna (a patron saint of wine) and the bottles are embossed “APOLLINARIS BRUNNEN” (brunnen means ‘spring’ in German). In 1895 he switched to a trademark of a (red) triangle, but I think your type of jug, which would have had a cork stopper and a lead overseal, was in use from 1852 up until about 1878.

Apollinaris mineral water is still bottled today… it’s currently owned by Coca-Cola.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the ovoid one is pretty old, pre Civil War. Maybe even 18th century. The form is similar to the bellarmines made in Germany, but it is a little narrower and the handle is smaller than the classic style. The last known dated bellarmine found has been 1699. Now, I think it's in the same style, but not that old. I'd say German, late 18th to early 19th century. The soldiers would be able to carry the "old stuff" from home off to war.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread