Named M1 Helmet

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a named M1 helmet from my collection. He served with the 79th Infantry Division during WWII and the 2nd Infantry Division during the Korean War. His Silver Star action during the Korea War earned him a battlefield commission. His promotion to officer status was not permanent, when he retired he retired at the rank of Sergeant Major (E-9). Like pointed out to me with just a grammar school education he rose through the ranks. Enlisted in Jan 1937 and was a First Sergeant by Dec 45, by 1951 he is Master Sergeant then a 2nd Lt rising to the rank of Captain before retiring as a Sergeant Major in October 1962. Strange way the Army does things.........

Awards and decorations that I can figure out from an article on him and from my research. This doesn't take into account, unit awards or awards that aren't medals, no slacker that is for sure!

1. Silver Star Medal
2. Bronze Star Medal
3. Purple Heart Medal w/ 2 Oak Leaf Clusters (So 3 Purple Hearts)
4. Army Good Conduct Medal
5. American Defense Service Medal
6. American Theater Campaign Medal
7. European, African, Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
8. World War II Victory Medal
9. Army of Occupation Medal
10. National Defense Service Medal w/ 1 Bronze Star Device (Korea and Vietnam)
11. Korea Service Medal (United States)
12. United Nations Medal
13. Republic of Korea Korean War Service Medal

14. French Jubilee of Liberty Medal (Not worn on Military Rack)

His helmet liner has his pre WWII Service Number painted on it. After his commission he recieved a new Service Number, this is what made the research on him hard.

The helmet is a rear seam, manganese steel rimmed Schlueter made helmet (Schlueter only made helmets during WWII). The paint on the helmet appears to be from the Korea War period. The liner is a Firestone made liner, and has the front rivet hole typically found on WWII liners.

He served in the US Army during three wars, WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

I need to get a period helmet chin strap, and the leather liner strap to restore this helmet.

Pomp Corley.jpg

IMG_0622a.jpg

IMG_0621a.jpg

IMG_0617a.jpg

IMG_0618a.jpg

IMG_0620a.jpg

IMG_0619a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Update to his awards and decorations list:

Awards and Decorations

01. Silver Star Medal
02. Bronze Star Medal
03. Purple Heart Medal w/ 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
04. Army Good Conduct Medal
05. American Defense Service Medal
06. American Theater Campaign Medal
07. European, African, Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
08. World War II Victory Medal
09. Army of Occupation Medal
10. National Defense Service Medal w/ 1 BOLC (Korea and Vietnam)
11. Korea Service Medal (United States)
12. United Nations Medal

13. Republic of Korea Korean War Service Medal
14. Presidential Unit Citation/Distinguished Unit Citation w/ 1 BOLC
15. Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation

16. Combat Infantryman Badge with Star

17. French Jubilee of Liberty Medal
18. French Liberation Medal
19. French Croix De Guerre w/ Palm

Wartime unit assignements:

79th Infantry Division, 313th Infantry Regiment, WWII

2nd Infantry Division, 23rd Infantry Regiment, Heavy Mortar Battalion, Korean War

Service dates: Jan 1937 - Oct 1962

Born: 09 Nov 1918
Died: 21 Jan 2003

Ranks held:

Private
Private First Class
Corporal
Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
First Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Sergeant Major
2nd Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Captain

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be pretty. hard to fill that hat

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
His Silver Star Citation:

GENERAL ORDERS:

Headquarters, 2d Infantry Division, General Orders No. 118 (December 31, 1950)

CITATION:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Second Lieutenant (Infantry), [then Master Sergeant] Pomp Corley (ASN: 0-p2262320), United States Army, for gallantry in action as a member of Heavy Mortar Company, 23d Infantry Regiment, 2d Infantry Division, in action against an armed enemy on 31 August 1950 in the vicinity of Changnyong, Korea. On that date Lieutenant Corley, then platoon sergeant of a 4.2 inch mortar platoon, was assigned the mission of rendering supporting fire to a battalion which was surrounded and was under attack by a numerically superior enemy force. Advancing to a forward observation post he exposed himself to intense enemy fire in order to direct the fires of his platoon from this position. When his platoon also became surrounded by enemy forces he inspired his men by his fearless actions to remain in place and continue their devastating fire upon the advancing enemy. Only when his position became untenable did he order a withdrawal. Leading his platoon in a skillful withdrawing action he succeeded in evacuating all his vehicles and weapons and all personnel without sustaining casualties. The gallantry and inspirational leadership displayed by Lieutenant Corley on this occasion reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of the United States.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
hats off to second lieutenant corley and you, ffuries, for bringing this to light. my shift button wont work, thus lack of capitals. thank you.

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
hats off to second lieutenant corley and you, ffuries, for bringing this to light. my shift button wont work, thus lack of capitals. thank you.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm a military history nut, when I found this helmet and did the research I was floored. This guy was a hero, a bad ass, or whatever you want to call him. I'm now the proud caretaker of his helmet, and the voice to the younger generation, telling them his exploits.

He was an American Hero........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread